Poll: Poll: Have you ever shot a gun? (Also note which country you live in)

Cryogaijin

May 13, 2010
That's pretty much it. The vast majority of people underestimate how firmly you need to seat heavy arms against your shoulder to keep them from biting you.

Remember, energy=m*V^2, so if you let the firearm build up any velocity at all, you're vastly increasing the felt recoil.

mercertheblack

Feb 11, 2009
I have fired: .22 pistol and rifle, .38 pistol, .45 pistol, Thompson SMG, 30-06 rifle, 10-gauge shotgun, AK-47, M16, and a Vietnam-era minigun (only once, sadly; what a rush!). Wonderful part of dating a gun-nut gal... the downside being, when we broke up, I had to make sure to stay the hell out of her way for fear of a ventilated liver.

Obliterato

Sep 16, 2008
Define gun. I live in the UK and fit into none of those catagories. The most you can get your hands on without having to deal with bureacucracy is an air rifle, and I'm and instructor in the scouts for that, so I fire them fairly regularly but don't own it. If you want a shotgun or 22. rimfire for hunting, you have to apply for a license and have a good reason. Self defense isn't a good reason here.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Orcus_35 said:
ColdStorage said:
I dislocated my arm with a Desert Eagle.

I was trying to bond with friends and friends fathers and grandfathers, but I abhor weapons.

My favourite weapon is the Bow, such majesty in firing those things.
i prefer the crossbow, personally i find it more accurate and less of a pain to stretch the cord.
I killed a tree with a crossbow once, with accurate of course its more accurate but Bow's are more fun, especially 28 calibre bows, yummy.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I go clay pigeon shooting, there isn't an option in the poll for that....

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I've shot clay pigeons with a rifle at my grandparents farm in Michigan. The poll responses don't really cover that, though.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
In the military...never fired it in a combat situation...however, numerous training exercises and ranges. I also own rifles and fire them infrequently, as well as hunt from time to time. So I will chose own a gun and don't use much.

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
I am American.

I don't actually own a gun, neither do my parents ( my answer for the poll, was that my parents own one, since that is the closest to the truth).

However, one of my good friends is a hunter, and owns several guns.

I have shot a gun twice, once with my friend shooting clay pigeons, and the other time was in a group similar to the Boy Scouts, where we fired black-powdered rifles at a target.

Personally, I would like to own a gun, but haven't bought one due to financial struggles.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
I live in Alaska.
Guns I own and get shot on a regular basis:
DPMS Panther AP4 (AR-15)
Century Arms International WASR-10 (modified by CAI to accept 30 round AK mags making it basically an AKM)
Springfield Armory XDm 9mm
Smith and Wesson Model 637 w/ Crimson Trace grips
Walther P22
Ruguer 10-22
Llama IX-A

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
JJMUG said:
Nerdfury said:
EDIT: Oh, and I'm in Australia - the US's slightly older and much cooler brother. You know, the one that everyone prefers to hang out with and go to the pub with.
Wat?
1776 (July 4 Deceleration of Independence is signed) is younger than 1788(British colonization)? are we going backwards? i am so confused right now. I can not tell if your serious or not.

OT: i have and i own two but rarely get out to shoot them.
We laid claim in 1770.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Ossum said:
Nerdfury said:
I've actually applied for my H1 license, which grants me the ability to fire weapons unsupervised, and will likely apply for my owner's license, if a year or so of firing range pistols proved to be of enough interest to me, and buy my own to store at home.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm in Australia - the US's slightly older and much cooler brother. You know, the one that everyone prefers to hang out with and go to the pub with.
Holy cow, that's a lot of stuff to go through just to get a gun. Here, as long as you're mentally fit you can own a gun. Handguns have higher restrictions, but needing a license to even fire unsupervised? That's tough.

I'm miffed over the procedure required to buy a pistol here in Michigan in the US; I have to go to the law enforcement center to get a permit to purchase, then I have to go buy, then I have to take the gun to the LEC again to finish the registration. Oh and they're only open when I'm at work so I'd have to take time off.
I don't think it's that harsh. High death tolls and injuries by guns are because they're too easy to get. If I know that my fellow countrymen have to apply for a license, undergo training sessions on proper care, use and maintenance, apply for a license to own and keep a gun, and undergo regular inspections to make sure it's stored in line with state legislation - well, I just sleep better at night.

hellsdinner

Apr 4, 2010
Well ive never shot one but my uncle has 6 orso cause he goes hunting like every week.

Ps.i live in Belgium

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Your poll is missing an option for "Yes, quite a bit, but I don't actually own any" - I'm an NRA-qualified Sharpshooter (8th bar, whee!) and I can readily attest that firing a gun doesn't require your or your parents (or even the military) owning it.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Erm, air rifle and air pistol in the UK.

Although I did play around with guns during the British Army Day event.

Famously, I got fingers trapped in an AK-47, a Sniper Rifle and a SAW in the space of a few hours. I remember blood flying up into my vision.