Poll: POLL: Sci-fi bodymodding. Bio or Mech?

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Ithos said:
Cazza said:
Bio, I would like to feel as human as possible.
:) I was waiting for that to come up
thx for vote and comment =^_^=
I'm surprised that others aren't saying the same. Maybe because it's all fiction.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Mix 'n' match. For more general use body parts like hands I'd go mech, but more specified parts like tounges, eyes or eyelids you can't go past bio.

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
Ahlycks said:
Ithos said:
Would you rather have awesome cat eyes (hit with the ladies, no doubt)
how would women like that? They would be like, "what the hell is wrong with your eyes". and wouldn't everything be black and white?
:p I was reaching really hard for a good example.
thx for vote & feedback =^_^=

May 6, 2009
I want OC tattoos and a memory crystal like in Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth universe.

Then again, Iain M. Banks' Culture humans are basically Bene Gesserit without the need for training. I could dig that too.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Lord Monocle Von Banworthy said:
I want OC tattoos and a memory crystal like in Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth universe.

Then again, Iain M. Banks' Culture humans are basically Bene Gesserit without the need for training. I could dig that too.
The OC tattoos always struck me as a bit ick. I'd have mine as invisible as possible, none of this ENTIRE BODY COVERED IN GOLD thing for me, even if it is amusing.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Serenegoose said:
I'll go with cybernetic augmentation anyday. Why would I replace my own fragile biological kit with something else that needs fed, gets sick, and dies anyway? Not only that, but biological tech has never equalled mechanical technology once it's got going. You show me a bird that can fly as fast as a plane. Any superiorities we have with eyesight or hearing are fleeting - there'll soon be mechanical systems that can hear, smell, see, touch, and taste with greater fidelity than we could ever believe.
I agree. Evolution doesn't have the same sense of purpose as engineering; it's all just a happy coincidence! It's nowhere near as efficient, because it's only as efficient as it needs to be.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to transhumanism; Even more so than the internet, I'll have a good reason to yell "Holy shit! It's the future!" over and over.

Technology kicks ass.

L3D

Jul 15, 2008
Leaning towards mechanical upgrades, although wouldn't rule out biological.

As long as my body would be running ok, I wouldn't get any upgrades. If damaged beyond natural repair, I would go with some inconspicuous mechanical upgrades. Artificial eye and limbs, things like that. If technology is advanced enough to make biological upgrades possible, I'm sure cloning would also be perfected, so if any of my internal organs needed replacing I would have them cloned. Growing and fixing the genetic defects (if any) in the organs would most likely take some time, so in the mean time I would have to rely on life support machines.

Of biological upgrades, anti-aging treatments (like Prolong Treatments in Honorverse books) would be a must to get. I want to preserve my humanity, but who wouldn't want to live little bit longer. However, I rather doubt that immortality would be possible to achieve, nobody cheats death forever.

Fridge

Jun 25, 2009
Ithos said:
Fridge said:
Ithos said:
Fridge said:
I'd go for mechanical, or cybernetic (sadly not covered).
cybernetics, as far as I know, are either created using metal and plastic, or a mix of that and biological components. I could be wrong tho :S, correct me if I am.

maybe I should've covered that in the intro...
Ah, I thought of mechanical as more steampunk or like the Strogg from Quake 2 and 4. Cybernetic to me is more subtle, computers inbedded in skin but hidden that sort of thing.
hmmmmm... food for thought indeed. I'm actually a bit stumped here :). Could you come up with a good definition for why these augs doesn't belong to either category? Does the inbred part play a huge factor? What materials are used?
(I'm not trying to burn you here, I'm really interested :). Also not up to date on my Quake lore :p )
Anyone else got thoughts on this matter?
To me the imbedding plays a very large part, to me (only my opinion) a cybernetic implant would be so subtle as to be indistinguishable from the rest of the body, at least by the eyes. As for materials... well it would be micro processors and the like but they would have to be far in advance of what we have now.
hmm let me see

*finds a pic of a strogg*

I'm still new so I ahve no idea how to put pics on so heres the link to the best picture I can find to display a strogg.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WRIrmreOpIs/Sl7rFG64teI/AAAAAAAAAMk/9N0FJtbhzR4/s320/strogg_s.jpg