Poll: Privilege

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Senare said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
So; let's stop calling X people privileged, and start focusing on fixing the disadvantages of different groups, and give them the same rights afforded to everyone else.

To summarise what I'm saying (as if it hasn't gotten across already): These things aren't privileges, they are rights.
Meh. I see "privilege" as an academic concept which is a useful shorthand for something along the lines of "an invisible standard". This is a separate, secondary meaning apart from what "privilege" usually means.
"Rights" is a good word on its own, but I do not feel that it captures what I think of when the concept of privilege is brought up. The word "privilege" is not the perfect choice either. But now that the concept has been named "privilege" I do not see much use in redefining it to "rights". I suspect that it would cause more confusion than it is worth.

As for your call to action: I would like to focus on fixing things too. But if I had not gotten the concept of "privilege" explained to me then I would have lacked an important perspective - a perspective that is very useful for fixing some things.
People who use the word "privilege" the most are used to using word with strong psychological impact on common human claiming it has different meaning. And, in my opinion, this is really cleverly calculated move. It has the effect of pushing their agenda in extreme manners while they can claim that they didn't mean any such thing. Privilege is just another example of it.

Jack having public health insurance is not a privilege where I live, it's a right.
Mack not having public health insurance is disadvantaged because his right to have it has been denied.

However since Jack can go to the doctors office ignoring the existing waiting line without having an emergency he is priviledged.

Difference being that public health insurance (access to public health institutions) is considered to be human right and cutting the line isn't.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I agree, as a straight white male nobody is helping me to suceed in life, I still need to work hard and im on my own. The only difference is there is nobody shitting on me.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
slo said:
Maze1125 said:
As a mathematician I always find these discussions absurd.
One side is arguing "7 is 5 less than 12."
While the other is arguing "No, you're wrong, 12 is 5 more than 7!"

Both are true at the same time. It's just a matter of perspective.
Think of the negative numbers.
If x < y, they still can be:
- both below zero
- y below zero while x is at zero
- y below zero while x is above zero
- y at zero while x is above zero
- both above zero

Zero is the norm, the way the things should be. Now if someone kills people and gets away with it because of his social status and friends in government, that's high above zero.
If someone gets severe criminal punishment for a legal activity because of his or her political views that's pretty below zero.
Think of it this way:
What you define as 0 is down to your personal opinion and situation.
Someone starving in a African village will have a completely different 0 to the CEO of a major corporation.
As such there is no objective "0" only comparisons. Which still means the argument is the difference between "You've got 4 less than me." "No! You've got 4 more than me."

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
Let's pretend that it would not be a privilege for the privileged to use a different word for privilege that makes the privileged more comfortable.

What word should be used instead?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Sorry to get dictionary-y at you, but Merriam-Webster defines a "right" as "a moral or legal entitlement to have or obtain something or to act in a certain way."

White people (for example) aren't morally or legally entitled to be treated a certain way- at least, not on the officially, in America, any more. (Your mileage may vary depending on your country and the way you view de facto treatment's contrast with official policy.)

I think I understand the OP's underlying point that it might be more effective to try to bring people up rather than to go into ever-ongoing harangues about "privilege", especially as it has a tendency to trivialize many issues and create an atmosphere where only certain people are allowed the floor, possibly even creating a sense of a "race for the bottom"- after all, every person typing on a keyboard is, in a sense, privileged, as is everyone who knows where their next meal is coming from, and everyone who doesn't fear for their lives on a daily basis.

But sometimes, to really understand what others lack, we first need to understand what we have and take for granted.

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
DataSnake said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
So I'm not using the other definition of privilege, but I am using one, but I should also use the other(s)? What's the nuance here? Cos' I'm lost.
You're saying that we should only use the word in situations that fit one definition, not the other. A brief conversation for analogy:
Terry: We have a new policy: whenever you use the company car you to record your mileage in this log.
Gonad: That's not a log, it's a book. Logs are tree trunks.
Terry: "Log" can mean either a tree trunk or a book used to track activities.
Gonad: So I'm using the first definition. Why should I use the other?

While Gonad is right that "log" can refer to a building material, insisting that people only use it in that sense, and not to refer to recordkeeping, is still incorrect.
I know I said I could not reexplain with out coming off rude to CpT x Killsteal. I appreciate (you) someone else trying. And what you said was certainly a part necessary for the explanation, part of which that was getting rude on my part when typing out an explanation before giving up last night.

I do have to say that your analogy while necessary, more applies to a word like right more so than privilege. Right as a word like log, has different meanings completely separate from each other. Where as the word privilege, has a more complex relation with it's definitions.

While contextualized privilege can mean different things. The definitions of privilege offer refined context to the first definition. Unlike log or right, that mean two different things entirely. Therefore the use of privilege even if contextualized to mean a more specific aspect of Privilege, does not disregard the other definitions, as does log and log (tree partition)-right and right (side).

A more accurate way of demonstrating meaning of privilege actually can be applied to the word right.

Right as applied to a moral, ethical, or legal principle considered as an underlying cause of truth, justice, morality, or ethics. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rights definition 22.

Like privilege http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/privilege?s=t definition 1, right has three aspects of refinement.

Right: Moral, ethical, or legal
Privilege: Right, immunity, and benefit

From here a person refines the aspect of context but keeps intact the concept of definition.

The problem with the original post is that the argument has been refined for one aspect contextualized in three aspects and used to negate one aspect of the definition.

Meanings of words lose other definitions when it is a different concept, not because it is a refined aspect. A person can disregard aspects through context, provided he/she does not mix aspects.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
All those things are already solved on paper, in a top down approach.
The people just haven't caught on, yet.
As long as we don't actively work to revert things already achieved, it will solve itself in time.

Oh and calling people "privileged" is ironically one of the things still keeping those walls inside our heads standing. If you're being called "privileged", you either pity, or you're annoyed by a different group of people than yours. No matter if the emotion is positive or negative, it still creates a mental divide between "them" and "us".

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
So; let's stop calling X people privileged, and start focusing on fixing the disadvantages of different groups, and give them the same rights afforded to everyone else.

To summarise what I'm saying (as if it hasn't gotten across already): These things aren't privileges, they are rights.
See I agree mostly the problem is, more or less these groups are not necessarily privileged or disadvantaged because of their race more to education and familial bonds.
An unpopular opinion but on my old grandfather would likely agree with, he spent a lot of his life supporting the disadvantaged and poor in Jamaica, back in the day and was able to amass money as an Indian living in the twilight days of the Britain empire.
What we need to do in America at least is to target demographics, give these people better education, free university access and the like.
It does make what colour or whatever these people are they need to have a full education and full responsibilities as human beings.
Give these people some hope, give support their family some family (trust me broken homes tend to produce messed up kids) and never let them take the easier path.
Otherwise this is just like normal, every empire have their castes inadvertently or not.
Poverty is a frankly familial trait, born poor, die poor once the aristocracy has been cemented.
This thing will pass as the old dies and the new raises itself up, again as my grandfather said, time solves all problems

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
RoonMian said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
But you are still privileged over other people by bigots not being bigoted against you.
Some I'm privileged because bigots like me at first glance? Is that really such a great thing?
And if privilege revolves around who does and doesn't hate who, then should we really be keeping it as a concept?

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
DataSnake said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
So I'm not using the other definition of privilege, but I am using one, but I should also use the other(s)? What's the nuance here? Cos' I'm lost.
You're saying that we should only use the word in situations that fit one definition, not the other. A brief conversation for analogy:
Terry: We have a new policy: whenever you use the company car you to record your mileage in this log.
Gonad: That's not a log, it's a book. Logs are tree trunks.
Terry: "Log" can mean either a tree trunk or a book used to track activities.
Gonad: So I'm using the first definition. Why should I use the other?

While Gonad is right that "log" can refer to a building material, insisting that people only use it in that sense, and not to refer to recordkeeping, is still incorrect.

The Rogue Wolf said:
shrekfan246 said:
Anyway, I had a mini-discussion about this topic just the other week, actually, because I don't really see what the benefit is in telling someone to "check their privilege".
95% of the time, it's basically the "there are children starving in Africa" argument redux. It's telling someone "you have it better than someone else, so shut up about everything".
In most of the cases I've seen it used, it's more of a response to comments along the lines of "keep your politics out of my games" or "I don't see a problem here, so stop complaining", and the point is that you don't see the problem because you're privileged, not because there isn't a problem at all. It's not "you have it better so fuck you", it's "your perspective on this issue is limited, maybe you should listen to other people instead of just assuming you know everything".
Could you use an analogy with the different definitions of privilege?

What if I want the percieved problem that i can't percieve explained to me logically? Because, while this is just bashing my anecdotal evidence against yours, it usually does come down to "shut the fuck up or agree with me" (though I haven't seen it on this site thankfully). And rather than "children starving in Africa", it's usually "I'm a woman/trans/gay/black/etc" and you're a white straight man". But again, this is anecdotal. So, do you think someone without the problem can or can't imagine themself in their shoes and empathise? And do you think the 'privileged' person can have a different opinion when the situation is explained to them.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Senare said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:

Meh. I see "privilege" as an academic concept which is a useful shorthand for something along the lines of "an invisible standard". This is a separate, secondary meaning apart from what "privilege" usually means.
"Rights" is a good word on its own, but I do not feel that it captures what I think of when the concept of privilege is brought up. The word "privilege" is not the perfect choice either. But now that the concept has been named "privilege" I do not see much use in redefining it to "rights". I suspect that it would cause more confusion than it is worth.

As for your call to action: I would like to focus on fixing things too. But if I had not gotten the concept of "privilege" explained to me then I would have lacked an important perspective - a perspective that is very useful for fixing some things.
The standard isn't that invisible. There are bigoted people discriminating against others, it's not hard to see it. And a lot of these things are already rights, such as being treated equally, not being shot because of skin colour, not being rejected for a job because of sexuality/gender/race etc,. slavery wasn't ended because people thought "something something privilege", but "everyone deserves the same rights". Granted it took a while for that to settle in completely, but we're there now. Most of us anyway.

Where was I? Oh yes, this not-so-invisible, also known as a double standard, is already called bigotry.

Edit: I'd consider actual privilege to be something like being born into a rich/well-off family. Having something that isn't a right, something you haven't earned, but something given to you.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
If everyone should have the rights, but only one group has them, that group is priviledged. Simple as that.

Also Captcha: "Battle royale"

well...

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
I'm not benefiting from gays not being able to be married, and I'm not benefiting from people of different races being shot. This is what I'm trying to drive at. Me being able to get married and not be shot because a someone was spooked about my race does not mean I'm privileged, it means I've got a right which I deserve being afforded to me, whereas someone else is not being afforded the right they deserve.

You might say that someone with better or equal qualifications for a job being rejected in place of me solely based upon their race/gender/sexuality indirectly benefits me, but the person in charge of HR being an arsehole does not make me privileged. I wasn't chosen because I was privileged, the other applicant was rejected because the one doing the choosing was discriminatory.
But the intentional disenfranchisement and exclusion of people of color, women, disabled folks, etc. *does* benefit white dudes like me and you - from individual situations like being considered over a better candidate for a job because he or she is black, to systematic political structures like the fact that a good third of the wealth in white communities was generated during slavery.

I have a lot of problems with the notion of "privilege" because I think it's very individualized and doesn't really lead to anything except people feeling bad, but those in the class of "man" or "white" or whatever absolutely do have lives that are easier because people are dicks to black folks, women, etc.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
RoonMian said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
But you are still privileged over other people by bigots not being bigoted against you.
Some I'm privileged because bigots like me at first glance? Is that really such a great thing?
And if privilege revolves around who does and doesn't hate who, then should we really be keeping it as a concept?
Of course it's not a great thing. But it won't go away just because you think it shouldn't exist. It's not just a concept, it is a thing that actually happens.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
RoonMian said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
RoonMian said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Of course it's not a great thing. But it won't go away just because you think it shouldn't exist. It's not just a concept, it is a thing that actually happens.
I know it actually happens. But I'm saying I'm not privileged because of it.

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
RoonMian said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
RoonMian said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
This is where the immunity aspect of privilege comes in. You are immune from first glance dislike.

Edit: NB4 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/immune?s=t definition 3. exempt or protected.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Itdoesthatsometimes said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
RoonMian said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
RoonMian said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
This is where the immunity aspect of privilege comes in. You are immune from first glance dislike.

Edit: NB4 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/immune?s=t definition 3. exempt or protected.
Yes. Immune from first glance dislikes from bigots. One type of arsehole won't have a knee-jerk dislike of me. I still wouldn't say that's a privilege.

Plus if we go with this way, we're basically saying the idea of privilege revolves around bigots hating things, which becomes a 'why do the opinions of bigots matter' scenario.