Poll: Question regarding the Mass Effect Trilogy

Possum TheGreat

Apr 4, 2010
I think that all of the important points have already been said, but there are two that I would like to reiterate:

1. The story of the first one, especially at the end, is *really* good. It's really exciting to have everything come to a head at this point, and... it's difficult to describe, but I'd say that the story at the end of ME1 was the best in the series, despite its lackluster gameplay.

2. ME1 was designed to get you immersed in the vibrant universe of Mass Effect as completely as possible. The other two were designed to carry on with the knowledge that you've accumulated, so you won't get as good an experience out of ME2 & 3 if you skip it. I'm sure that they would do a good job of getting you into it anyway, but you'd really be missing out.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Judging by the poll numbers, I would say you have your answer. Here's my two cents.

To me, Mass Effect was the best game overall. The controls are a bit odd and you end up with sooooo much stuff in your inventory that it starts to feel cluttered and you have no idea what to do with anything. The graphics are probably not going to wow you now either, as you said. And the Mako is going to give you a headache.
But the story is the best. The universe feels expansive and big. There are mysteries out there that the game never explains, adding to that feeling of exploration. Watch Yahtzee's review of Mass Effect 3 and he'll explain exactly what I mean.
The biggest reason to play Mass Effect though is because of how it links into the other two games. Yes, there are certain choices that you can ONLY make if you've played the first game, but there are little details in 2 and 3 that will not be there if you don't have them from Mass Effect. Conrad's appearances in 2 and 3 are amazing. There's also extra dialogue in both games if you have a save from Mass Effect. So I would certainly play it, and try to get as many of the side quests done as you can for all the extra goodies.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
The first one is worth playing, however it doesnt have as much replay value IMO since on subsequent playthroughs it can start to drag.

The sidequests are on the whole really boring, the main quest is where most of the effort clearly went, and yet most of those missions are still pretty boring, with the exception of Ilos and the last level which I wont spoil.
The loot system is also annoying as hell, its like Borderlands if everything felt exactly the same and looked exactly the same.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
When you play ME1 (Because you really should), just play it on easy and with a soldier. The AR gets ridiculously OP and means that you can kill everything quick and easy so that the combat does not drag. In ME2 you get to chose a new class anyway.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Agow95 said:
The first one is good if you remember two things:
1. Biotic is crap, play a soldier, you can change your class when you import to the second and third games.
2. Shotguns are way overpowered, and are initially more accurate than assault rifles
I cant argue with your second point since I make a point to avoid shotguns since they make the game super easy, but Biotics in ME do not suck, if you spec out your Shepard right you can easily become a Biotic god

Sep 14, 2009
sunsetspawn said:
The narrative and "universe" are very well constructed, while 2 & 3 just feel like "games" set in said universe.

Also, someone said that the Citadel seemed lifeless, and I don't agree. The Citadel is supposed to seem a bit alien and distant because humans are new to it AND it's Shep's first time there. The odd music suits it perfectly.
I do like this post, so I'm going to quote you right back and do a "this"

the 2nd and 3rd ones feel like games shoe horned into the universe, while the first one felt like being in a living & breathing universe.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
idon said:
It's funny how people here are either saying ME1 is the best or worst of the three. I guess that shows you that whether you will enjoy it or not is completely up to your tastes and whatnot in gameplay and storytelling.
Yeah, like I said people have a tendency to attach to the first game in a series that they have played. For most people Mass Effect 1 was there first Mass Effect game so they hold it above the other ones despite the improvements. What I mean is I don't think it's much "tastes" as it is nostalgia.

If you played Mass Effect 2 then Mass Effect 1 and liked it more, I would like to hear why. If you played 1 then 2, your opinion means less to me. Just me but if you say the first game you played in any series is the best, you better have some damn good reasons why.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Yes...? But one thing you will be missing is the hope that any of your choices matter. For me that was a major component of the games, wondering if what I do in one game will result in massive consequences for the next. As in storyline-altering ones. But now we know that doesn't happen, it's still worth playing, but not nearly AS worth playing.

BeachSided

Jun 25, 2010
Why would you 'not' play it? :/

It gives you 15 - 20 hours of additional understanding and back-story, which makes 2 and 3 even better to play.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
sunsetspawn said:
Seems like a troll thread. Skip the first one? If someone said that they could only play one then the answer would be to just play the first one. The narrative and "universe" are very well constructed, while 2 & 3 just feel like "games" set in said universe.
I'm definitely not trolling.
I'm completely new to the series, and had heard things about the game-play experience of the first Mass Effect being rather clunky, especially by today's standards, so I was simply wondering whether it was worth my time putting up with said game-play, as well as dated graphics, in order to get and understand the first act of the story.
Judging by everyone's responses, it seems as though it is.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Eddie the head said:
idon said:
It's funny how people here are either saying ME1 is the best or worst of the three. I guess that shows you that whether you will enjoy it or not is completely up to your tastes and whatnot in gameplay and storytelling.
Yeah, like I said people have a tendency to attach to the first game in a series that they have played. For most people Mass Effect 1 was there first Mass Effect game so they hold it above the other ones despite the improvements. What I mean is I don't think it's much "tastes" as it is nostalgia.

If you played Mass Effect 2 then Mass Effect 1 and liked it more, I would like to hear why. If you played 1 then 2, your opinion means less to me. Just me but if you say the first game you played in any series is the best, you better have some damn good reasons why.
I must be an anomaly then. I played the first one first and thought it was pretty damn mediocre. I didn't actually begin to like the series until I played number 2, which is still my favorite. XD

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Though I favor Mass Effect 2 by far (In fact, it is one of my favorite games), I still recommend the first as a powerhouse of a game.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Do it for Wrex, he'd do it for you. But really, play it! It wasn't my favorite(part 2 holds that title), but damn if it wasn't a really fun ride that sets up everything in the sequels. Also, Tali+ Specre shotgun= nasty. I almost always roll as a vanguard so I needed a tech who could fight and damn if BioWare didn't gift wrap me one as a major early plot point. Get the "rich" achievement/trophy early as you can. It unlocks Spectre weapons and they are super tough(rich is unlocked through selling items and having 1 million creds, I don't think you have to get them all from selling though).

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Jezzascmezza said:
sunsetspawn said:
Seems like a troll thread. Skip the first one? If someone said that they could only play one then the answer would be to just play the first one. The narrative and "universe" are very well constructed, while 2 & 3 just feel like "games" set in said universe.
I'm definitely not trolling.
I'm completely new to the series, and had heard things about the game-play experience of the first Mass Effect being rather clunky, especially by today's standards, so I was simply wondering whether it was worth my time putting up with said game-play, as well as dated graphics, in order to get and understand the first act of the story.
Judging by everyone's responses, it seems as though it is.
Fair enough. If you like RPGs, especially of the Bioware variety, you will adore this game and be a bit flummoxed when you move on to 2 and 3. If you just like shooters, blast your way through the main plot points and relish the story.
If you like both, well, then perfect.

After playing the first mission and one main plot mission you'll know if you want to see and do a lot of the side missions. Actually, I knew by the end of the first mission.

Anyway, play the game on Veteran because Normal is too easy. Hardcore is more appropriate for an experienced gamer, but you need to unlock that. Insanity can be overkill.

Don't be afraid to skip Mako-based side missions if they're driving you crazy. Make sure to do a few of them though because they REALLY set the tone of this space odyssey. You can dip out on any side mission and head back to the Normandy so no worries.

Shit, all this talk is making me want to play this game a fourth time. Actually, it's making me wish there were another game like it so I could play that with a fresh story and characters. Makes me wish Mass Effect 2 & 3 has been like this...

damnit, now I'm all depressed and shit.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
ThriKreen said:
I just checked your biography and it states you've worked on Neverwinter Nights, as well. Which is my favorite D&D-based game of all time. I want your babies.

OT: Definitely. The first Mass Effect is the best of the three, in my opinion. It's slightly clunkier than the others, but the way it introduces and immerses you into the universe is just awesome.

Also, importing your character and choices into ME2 and ME3. That's pretty much the main feature of the series, and it would be a crime not to do it.

sam13lfc

Oct 29, 2008
I deffinitely think you should give ME1 a go. Whilst its gameplay is lacklustre compared to the rest of the series, it has an excellent story (better than ME2's in my opinion) and is just a part of the series as the later two games. Playing Shepard through all three games with the same save also feels really good, by the end you'll have an attachment to him/her and the characters you've been on the adventure with. As for linking to the other games; it sets the story, introducing you to the characters and setting and so on, but it's not integral. There are a few decisions you can make and characters that may or may not die that carry on to ME2 (so ME3 subsequently) but I wouldn't call it essential for linking the series together. I would call it essential for the fact that it's the first game in an epic trilogy though, you'll enjoy it :)

EDIT: ME1 starts off quite slow but it's all part of building up Shepard and the main villains' characters. Stick with it!

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
If you're getting into the series then I guess, but otherwise, avoid it. It's absolutely terrible. The only aspect of it that isn't complete shit are the characters, and even then they aren't very well written.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Mass Effect 1 is, IMO, easily the best game in the trilogy. The gameplay is a little clunky, and have fun learning to drive the Mako [Its not that hard, but the first time you're in it its quite odd], but I prefer it to the rather average and monotonous gameplay of the 2nd and third. Yeah, in this you still spend a lot of time hiding behind cover, but you can also run out with an assault rifle/shotgun and dodge the bullets if you'd prefer [Well, a few of the bullets =P], or sit back at 500m to a Km away and snipe the enemy, dependent on where you're fighting.
Its also a lot more open then the other games, and there is usually more than one way to go about completing a mission [Not just in the choice department, but also in map layout and which path - if not both - you'll take].

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
Unquestionably yes, it's definitely worth playing. I'm not gonna lie, the gameplay isn't quite as good as in ME2 or 3. But if you've never played either of these, then you wont know the difference! And whatever people say about it, I LOVED the Mako sections in ME1, and spent hours playing around on the surface of random planets!

And that's not even touching on the story and characters! If you start off in ME2 without taking your save in, it'll never be as good as if you made all the choices yourself. It wont feel like it's your story your playing, you're just jumping into someone else's story.

So that's a definite yes from me!