Poll: RANT: Disgusted with Skyrim

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
JesterRaiin said:
Details. DETAILS !
Indeed hehe. It's all a bit mysterious otherwise :p. We need ALL the info!
INFORMATION IS POWER ! FOR THE EMPER... Sorry, wrong discussion. ;)

silent-treatment said:
I have the same issues with the game, but I know that it is my computer that is causing the issue.
Out of curiosity - what's your computer's specs ? People often ask "will it run on my computer".
Also, have you tried some mods that boost SKYRIM's performance ?

VoidWanderer said:
I've given up on doing mainstream gaming on anything other than consoles, as I don't trust my computer to play anything other than MMOs.
Care to elaborate ?

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
The only problems I've ever had with the game's interface were all small ones, and then I discovered that it was built using Scaleform. Interface mods ahoy!

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
silent-treatment said:
I have the same issues with the game, but I know that it is my computer that is causing the issue.
Out of curiosity - what's your computer's specs ? People often ask "will it run on my computer".
Whew lets see...
I've got an AMD Anthlon 7450 Dual Core 2400Mhz
3 Gigs of RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9200 onboard chip
Running 32 Vista
and to top it all off it is a small profile computer with terrible airflow.

I don't think I missed anything, let me know if I did.

Edit: also yes I have the basic d3d9 and the acceleration layer mod everyone is toting.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
4th proper playthrough (technically 7th new character), over 150 hours, very few problems beyond the glitches such as astro-giants, corpses falling through the floor and a bit of a framerate drop at the end of massive dungeon instances with lots of water and many AI.

It's just you. Download a UI mod, I've seen some pretty good ones and even one that I'll get as soon as I grab a PC copy of the game along with my new PC. For now, though, the 360 version is pretty much fine for playing on, even with big saves and extended periods of time.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
silent-treatment said:
JesterRaiin said:
Whew lets see...
3 Gigs of RAM
Running 32 Vista

Edit: also yes I have the basic d3d9 and the acceleration layer mod everyone is toting.
Interesting. It seems that your GFX card is biggest culprit here...
Thanks for the info man ! :)

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
silent-treatment said:
JesterRaiin said:
Whew lets see...
3 Gigs of RAM
Running 32 Vista

No problem

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
JesterRaiin said:
silent-treatment said:
JesterRaiin said:
Whew lets see...
3 Gigs of RAM
Running 32 Vista

I think that skyrim is capped at using 2gb ram too (well the last time I looked they might of patched it.)

Here's a tutorial

A few people in the comments saying it fixed some lag so it might be worth a try :p (I like that phrase today)

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
A few people in the comments saying it fixed some lag so it might be worth a try :p (I like that phrase today)
I can't resist : "There's a mod for that" ;)

True, SKYRIM is capped, but with that gfx card additional 1-2 Gb of RAM won't make significant difference. At least that's what i'm thinking. Nevertheless, worth trying.

@silent-treatment: give it a try and post results please. :)

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
silent-treatment said:
Whew lets see...
3 Gigs of RAM
Running 32 Vista
The graphics board is below optimal, but it shouldn't cause the mentioned problems, Vista might be the issue. Have you considered paying the $30 upgrade to Windows 7? Also, 32 bit OS's don't allocate more than 2GB's RAM, by default, so you might want to consider investing the 64bit version and replacing the 1 GB stick with another 2GB one.

@Alorxico
Alorxico said:
The mouse acceleration issues are a problem, yes, but with the fixes already suggested you should've been able to work around the issue by now. As for the remapping the controls issue, that was fixed in 1.3, I suggest you update your game.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Yeah, this isn't a 'Broken Product' or any fault of the game really. This is the messiest rant I've read on Skyrim, and I find it hard to take seriously. I have quite an old PC, was top of the line about 3 years ago, and since then all I've replaced is the PSU, Graphics card and threw in some extra RAM. Skyrim runs beautifully. The UI might not be the best, and sometimes the conversation choices get a little messed up, but it's all still extremely playable and extremely enjoyable. In a nutshell, what I'm saying is, Skyrim may have it's little faults, but I'm not blaming it or Bethesda for your problems... I'm blaming you, and/or your computer.

Luckily for you, there seems to be a plethora of people here willing to take your system specs and suggest fixes or patches for you. I'm not one of them, I'm just saying this explosive tirade might be a little premature and sorely misdirected.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
JesterRaiin said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I can't resist : "There's a mod for that" ;)

True, SKYRIM is capped, but with that gfx card additional 1-2 Gb of RAM won't make significant difference. At least that's what i'm thinking. Nevertheless, worth trying.

Yeah his graphics card is a bit on the underpowered side but I thought it might give it an extra kick up the butt as it were xD.

@silent-treatment
If you want to carry on with PC gaming I would suggest you don't upgrade that PC just get a new one. I'm pretty sure it's level with a Intel Celeron :<

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
2GB cap has been removed as far as I know.

Two things I recommend. The first is to turn off Mouse Acceleration - http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-improve-skyrim-with-ini-file-tweaks/. Using the Turn Off V-Sync thing might help too.

Secondly, follow the steps in the video here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/21/hooray-a-skyrim-ui-mod-skyui/ to install the SkyUI mod. It makes inventory management so much better and I think the newst version improves the Magic menu as well.

I also just started using this one as well which makes the Favourites menu far better - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4862#content

Definitely try the first two to fix the mouse lag problems and everything should be great.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
JesterRaiin said:
Yeah his graphics card is a bit on the underpowered side but I thought it might give it an extra kick up the butt as it were xD.
Dear fellow Escapist, i'm ready to face the Wrath of God Almighty Himself if there's a proof for me to even think that you are wrong. :)
Still, i'm not sure how things are about 32bit version of Windows VISTA. SKYRIM may become uncapped, but the Operating System can disallow access to whole 3 Gbs of RAM...

I guess we'll have to wait until our fellow here delivers the important data. :)

iBagel said:
If I'm completely honest, it sounds like you are just bad at the game.
And lol "my pc is a half a year old" could still mean you bought junk half a year ago.
HOLY F*CK ! It's Vincent Price !!!

Daughterofether

Oct 10, 2009
Ive run the game on a PC with about the same specs while visiting family. running at the default settings recommended by the game for that pc lagged me furiously and i even got murdered by alduin trying to get into the keep once.

The key thing though, is that i had the same inconsistent mouse sensitivity and lurching viewpoint.

My solution was to disregard the preconfigured graphics settings and manually turn everything down to th elowest strain i could manage in the advanced menu. Ultimately i even had to reduce the resolution by one level.

But that fixed it. Just dont expect to play an archer or mage with that vanishing point.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
I modded skyrim before booting it up the first time. Bethesda may be leaving too much for the modding community to do...

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
JesterRaiin said:
Details. DETAILS !
Indeed hehe. It's all a bit mysterious otherwise :p. We need ALL the info!
Well, I'm a Capricorn, I like long walks on the beach, hash browns, HP Fruity sauce, Family Guy, Star Trek:TNG, Chemistry, jumping up and down, and I drive a diesel Xsara Picasso because I'm just *that* rock and roll. I also know all the words to Unrelenting Force.

Oh wait, we're talking about the OP's Skyrim problems.

Seriously, you need to give us full details of your problems, and double check all your software.

A buddy of mine was having terrible Witcher 2 performance until he installed AMD's Catalyst drivers instead of the ones that came stock with his machine - the difference was chalk and cheese.

Jun 11, 2008
Alorxico said:
I have tried, unsuccessfully mind you, to start the game five separate times on my computer and have not gotten beyond the Helen Keep section because the controls, quite frankly, are wretched. Actually, they are worse than wretched but as a good portion of the Escapist population is under the age of 18 I resolve NOT to swear, though the controls are quiet worthy of several nasty ones.

I started out with the traditional mouse and keyboard, but the Look Sensitivity was so temperamental that I was either turning my head too slow or too fast, seeing too little too late or too much too soon. Needless to say, when I had to fight off a group of attackers in the Keep I more often than not ended up attacking my own alley because by the time I was able to turn and focus on my attacker he/she was dead and my alley was telling me to move on to the next area.

I then tried a joystick, which for some unknown reason the game would not register. Searching on-line I found that, unless it is a flight simulator, PC games no longer support joysticks. You want to play a PC game but don't / can't use the mouse and keyboard? You need to plug in you XBox 360 control or buy a special PC gaming controller.

Having thus found a reason to justify NOT throwing away my old wired XBox controllers, I plugged one into my PC and started the game for a 5th time. Alas, the problems persisted. I was either looking around too fast or too slow, if I tried to reassign the buttons (example, make B the jump button and Y the character menu button) BOTH stopped working! The left thumb-stick is for movement, but I have the same problem for it as I have with the right stick to look around. I am either hardly moving or running around like a mad woman! And the lower I set the look sensitivity the more finicky the movement sensitivity (which you cannot alter) gets. Finally, when I opened the World Map, it would not let me close it. One would assume hitting B (once the defaults were reapplied) or the button that got me there in the first place would take me OUT, but that was not the case. I had to unplug the controller and hit escape on my keyboard to get out of the map.

I mentioned these problems to a friend of mine who plays the console version (which is having problems of its own, namely it does to your XBox's memory what the Federal Government does with your tax money; wastes it) and he said to bypass the issues and play his console copy. I don't WANT to play the XBox version, I want to play the PC version! Why? Two words; Modding Community. Bethesda has a long tradition of handing fans the tools to improve and advance their games after they have moved on to the next project so that the game is ever changing and still fun to play LONG after it is the latest hot new release. The things Bethesda could not fix or could not include, the modding community provides. My PC version of Oblivion has mods that add classic Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind ingredients, spells and potions into the game, as well as new creatures, new towns, new quests and a restored Kvatch once you complete the main quest line.

THAT BEING SAID!!! Just because there are people out there who know how to mod a game DOES NOT give a programming company the right to release a broken product. Because basically, that is what has happened. Other gamers who bought the PC version of the game have complained about the UI (User Interface) system since it was first released and NO up-date or patch has been released to fix it. The result? The Modding Community has had to release several Mods that fix the issue for both the keyboard / mouse and XBox control. But the FUNNY part is that if Bethesda ever does get around to fixing the UI and the patch messes up someone's hard-drive, if that person EVER had the UI-mods on their computer than Bethesda will not claim responsibility for the damaged machine. EA is the same way.

My computer is less than half a year old, it more than meets the requirements, but I will not assume that means my hardware is not causing the problems. I will be hitting Best Buy in the next few days to get some advice, but this is completely disgusting. To those who have not had these problems, congratulations. To those who are having these problems or other problems, I sympathize. To Bethesda, you should be ashamed.
Could you stick your basic system spec as an update in your OP and tell us you game settings. Like as in when you start up Skyrim what graphics option do you have on or off.. Something like Vsync on which you shouldn't be running for whatever reason and is messing with your game.

For example if you went with the recommended settings you might want to change that as I found the one for Skyrim to be woefully off.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Casimir_Effect said:
2GB cap has been removed as far as I know.

Two things I recommend. The first is to turn off Mouse Acceleration - http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-improve-skyrim-with-ini-file-tweaks/. Using the Turn Off V-Sync thing might help too.

Secondly, follow the steps in the video here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/21/hooray-a-skyrim-ui-mod-skyui/ to install the SkyUI mod. It makes inventory management so much better and I think the newst version improves the Magic menu as well.

I also just started using this one as well which makes the Favourites menu far better - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4862#content

Definitely try the first two to fix the mouse lag problems and everything should be great.
I did the same things in my game

Also download the Better sorting mod (and the better sorting/categorized favorites mod fix if ur using both) and everything gets 10000 times simpler.