Poll: Rape is totally okay to joke about, right guys?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So, after I saw the thread about Daniel Tosh making rape jokes, I saw a lot of negativity. Apparently it's bad to joke about rape. To me, people joke and reference so many terrible things in life, I don't see why rape shouldn't be joked about, so long as it's not directed at a certain individual with any malice.

I've done my best to make this thread about as fair as the Daniel Tosh one by the way.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
I've done my best to make this thread about as fair as the Daniel Tosh one by the way.

I already posted my opinion in the other thread, so I'm just writing this to avoid a low content warning.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
As I said in the other thread nothing is out of bounds in comedy.

When a good comedian takes a subject then they will get a laugh no matter how "risqué" or dark said subject is.

When a shit comedian does it then it drops like a lead balloon.

As it is, certain types of comedy aren't for everyone.

Rape jokes can be funny just like some people find fat people falling over funny. Depends who's watching it.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010

But yeah I agree. I don't get why it's OK to joke about lots of other horrible subjects but not rape.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010

You can joke about whatever the fuck you want.
You can be tasteful about it, or you can be an idiot about it. See what gets you further. But being an idiot about it should certainly not be outlawed.

The thing about the complaints about rape jokes that really gets me is that it seems they're never okay. Even if they're ridiculing the rapist.
Hell, even white guys get to joke about racism these days so long as they keep it to that. Only when the comedian is being racist for comedic effect.

So for your enjoyment, here's a video of a Chimpanzee raping a toad.

Dec 14, 2009
I'm of the belief that the more you make fun of something, the less power it has over you.

So, yes, it's perfectly fine to joke about rape as long as it's tastefully done.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Maybe we should stop putting so much emphasis on whether or not rape is whatever.

This shit is getting more teeth marks then -...

Jonluw said:
o_O......... O____________________O

Dude, what the FUCK?!?!? I never thought I could hate chimps more than I already do.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Have a good read of this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9766-The-R-Word

I've never read a more articulate and personal account of why it's inappropriate to use rape as a subject of comedy. Basically the laughs generated in no way make up for the hurt caused and therefore the ends doesn't justify the means.

I'd suggest any budding comedian ought to go through the physical and mental horror of rape before being allowed to make jokes about rape to the general public.

My personal opinion: If you make a rape joke (aimed at a person like in the other thread's example) you are just being a ****, end of story.

Riki Darnell

Dec 23, 2011
I've made rape jokes and I'm a girl. As long as it's funny I don't think anything is out of bounds.

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
It should depend on the context. For example, I think holocaust jokes can be hilarious, but I wouldn't tell them loudly at a human rights museum or at synagogue on Yom HaShoah.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Maybe we should stop putting so much emphasis on whether or not rape is whatever.

Jonluw said:

Dude, what the FUCK?!?!? I never thought I could hate chimps more than I already do.
Nasty little fuckers, aren't they?
Allegedly, they also occasionally take baby chimps from their mothers and eat them.

I think this is what people who are into PETA and stuff call "The beauty of nature".
"Oh, isn't it beautiful how nature itself provides us with an all natural fleshlight just like that?"

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
It sure can, you can joke about yourself getting raped by being too pretty or by being in prison by your bunk-mate Bubba and stuff. Rape doesn't come in just the male/female fashion and most people only really have that facet of it in mind which is troublesome.

All in all, jokes are all about context. You can mess up or insult people with jokes about anything and if you're skilled enough you can make anything funny.

Rape jokes don't mean you see something good about it or you condone it. They just mean it can be funny.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
A good comedian can handle any topic well in a mature and proper manner, that being said a lot of ill advised comedians will say something extremely stupid that gets papers like the Daily Mail going RAWAWRAWAWR at them, which then causes a shit storm in the media where a lot of good comedians that have done nothing wrong will have their jokes quoted out of context and have their publicity harmed.

I think the line should be drawn at when there is malice in their "joke", there's funny and then there's personal attacks.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Jonluw said:
Casual Shinji said:

Jonluw said:
video snip

Nasty little fuckers, aren't they?
Allegedly, they also occasionally take baby chimps from their mothers and eat them.

I think this is what people who are into PETA and stuff call "The beauty of nature".
"Oh, isn't it beautiful how nature itself provides us with an all natural fleshlight just like that?"
This is why having a perception of right and wrong is a good thing: Eating a banana; right. Wrapping a toad around your penis; wrong.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Well, making rape jokes on these forums is not okay, I learned that the hard way...

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Louis C.K. once said:

"That's just me saying something terrible just because it makes me laugh that it upsets you, that's all that is. I'm not gonna fuck a kid. I wouldn't do that... maybe a dead kid. Who are you hurting? He's dead! Who are you hurting? I'm not saying I would kill a kid and fuck him, I'm saying that if I found a dead kid in a field, and it wasn't raining, I might take a shot, I don't know."
from Hilarious

Thats pretty much it. Its all in the context of the joke and what its being used for. I really don't think you should hold actually career comedians for what they say. There job is to tell jokes. If a comedian takes one look at me and says "Oh that reminds me I have some wonderful gay jokes." I'll laugh because I know he isn't doing it to hurt me.

GangstaPony

Apr 29, 2012
As far as Daniel is concerned, he might as well have said, "Yea... hey grab that chick and rape her right here on stage! It will be fun to see! "

This is something I have viewed in all american stand up. You guys just can't make jokes that are not racist, sexist, vulgar or some combination. I mean extreme cases and not just, "Why do the Irish drink so much?" Apparently comedy is not comedy until someone is emotionally hurt.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
There seems to be a bit of a double standard when it comes to rape jokes, I have found. I hear people say that jokes about rape are in bad taste and I kind of agree, yet when comedians on TV tell jokes about rape everyone laughs with no problem, myself included. I have no idea who this Daniel Tosh person is, but comedians like Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle tell jokes about rape all the time and everyone loves them. Well, perhaps Frankie isn't universally loved but he still draws a big crowd with his incredibly dark and sick shock humour. Is there some kind of line that I'm not seeing?