Poll: Rate your Intelligence! (UPDATED: NOW WITH I.Q. TEST TO PROVE YOUR BRAVDO!)

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I go with average. I've done pretty well in my exam but I lack common sense in a lot of situations so, yeah.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
I don't like to think of it in terms of intelligence. It's more like everyobdy is stupid in their own unique way. That's probably the one uniting characteristic of humanity.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Average, just plain average. Used to think i was above average, but the University i attend made sure i understood how average i really am. Really, really average. Or something like that.

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
Top of my year for all my A-levels, so academic wise I'm probably pretty good.
The only problem I have is working in retail, the average person can sometimes come across as lacking in any though processes whatsoever.

So I'm torn between genius and slightly above average.
If I had to guess, I'd say about IQ of perhaps 130-ish.

As an amusing little aside, I once got a 239 on an IQ test just to mess with one of my friends.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Most likely average, though based on the interactions I have with members of the general public, I went for slightly above average.

I don't believe school exams are an accurate measure of a person's intelligence. For example- I failed my English exam, while my brother passed in a class two levels higher than mine. I recently had to explain to him how to operate a cheese slicer that has no moving parts. Point being there are different kinds of intelligence. Scientists have also proven that your intelligence can vary greatly over the course of a single day, and is affected by many environmental factors well beyond your control.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
IQ scores are sorta worthless in determining how smart someone is.

I picked slightly above average as I tend to have a better grasp at some topics and ideas than a lot of folks who have more education than me. But it is in practical problem solving and troubleshooting that I really excel. Where some people will try the same thing over and over and get the same predictable result, I find that I will think from several different angles and find a solution. Not always the best solution but one that gets it working again.

I have also found that I can think and react very quickly in the rare crisis that I have found myself in. My mind doesn't freeze up, it goes into overdrive and lays out options and risks. An example would be when I was driving on a dark night and did not see a pedestrian in a ( darkly dressed in a poorly lit crosswalk) until I was almost on her. I immediately knew that trying to stop would have killed her so I avoided her instead. I had maybe a half second to react at most. It almost seemed like time slowed down during that half second.

For the love of god don't put advanced mathematics in front of me though. My brain WILL freeze up at that.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Eh, I'd say average. I seem to appear a bit smarter every now and again because I have a bit more interest in arty farty shit than a lot of people I know (I watch a lot of history, nature and science documentaries, my music taste has gone all pretentious), but then again my grades were exceedingly average and every now and again I do things that are really dumb. One of my friends was surprised when I told him my A level results because he seemed to think I was an A* student, even though I've never had an A* in anything, ever. My school was insistent that I've been a massive underachiever because in year 7 my CAT test (can't remember what it stands for, cognitive ability or some such crap) score was really high. That always made me wonder if there was something wrong with me to be honest.

I wouldn't say I was smarter than most people, I just like finding stuff out, provided I'm interested. Perhaps I'm just too lazy to be really clever.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
It's always fun to look at graphs where people rate their own intelligence. The majority always rates himself above average. The population of the Escapist might be a bit above average in general (not entirely convinced though), but these poll results again are very funny. I'll just rate myself as grade A stupid to balance things out. ^^

I love it when people go by results of IQ tests (which test nothing but the ability to do IQ tests), often from years ago, and think they're a valid assessment. Hell, smoking a lot of pot during puberty can drop your IQ by 8 points by the time you reach 30. IQ is a silly scoring method.

Feb 24, 2011
i'll say slightly above average, i'm one of those people that are kinda smart but lazy as fuck so i don't get good grades because i don't study... too much gaming

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I hate judging myself and I hate the mentality I've seen at my school for 6 years where everyone has a superiority complex because they've been made to feel like their grades are everything, so I won't answer the poll.
Academically, I'm pretty intelligent. Just got 4 As and 1 B in my AS Levels. But in other ways, I might not be so intelligent. I'd like to think I have a certain level of common sense and can look at real life problems practically, but I have no idea how intelligent I am regarding that.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
kickassfrog said:
The only problem I have is working in retail, the average person can sometimes come across as lacking in any though processes whatsoever.

As an amusing little aside, I once got a 239 on an IQ test just to mess with one of my friends.
130 is not 'slightly above average.' That's two standard deviations from the average, which would put you at a single IQ point below Mensa. 115 would be significantly above average.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Angry Juju said:
When you see the % of people with aspergers, then look at the number of people on those threads who claim they have it. You know that they look at 1 or 2 of the effects on wikipedia and diagnose themselves with it. Especially considering how not all of the effects are necessarily negative.

Also, if you think that common sense makes you "WTF YOU'RE SO SMAT" then obviously you can tick the 'slightly below average' box. If you look at what I said and think "It's something I lack but wish I had" then you should tick the 'above average' box. I never said that common sense was a gauge of intelligence, I said I have common sense.

And finally, look at some of the posts on this thread. There are a bunch of people who think getting straight As in their exams make them a genius. In my A level history I managed to get an A, but then I literally got that A for learning the bare minimum in class, not studying at all and then writing the exam to the proper structure.
My point was that the sampling of people in those threads who said they have Aspergers is in no way reflective of what percent of Escapists think they have Aspergers. I SPECIFICALLY said "Whether they're lying or not" because the people who claim it in those threads have a reason to claim it (even if it's only to forward a point). A large percent of people claiming to have Aspergers in a thread about Aspergers does not correlate to an anonymous poll about intelligence (or an anonymous poll about Aspergers for that matter). I couldn't care less whether it's obvious they're lying or not, because it was a bad example in the first place.

What's more, a few posts with people who think "woot straight A's, I'm a genius" doesn't instantly invalidate my point. Hell, if you manage to get straight A's you probably are more likely to be slightly above average in intelligence (which is what I suspect most people around here are). I know in my school you actually had to have critical thinking skills and exemplary work to get an A from most teachers (though I'm well aware that may not be the case for everyone). However, I'm basing my views on the demographic and the overall level of intelligence I've seen displayed on this site, not a few misinformed individuals.

As to your intellectual gauge, I'm sorry, I just assumed you meant something else as your actual point makes even less sense. The degree to which you find something impressive in no way accurately correlates to how smart you are. Especially when that thing is a very specific aspect of the overall thing you're trying to gauge. If someone has common sense, then they're naturally going to find it less impressive. They may not even be very smart, but since they possess common sense they may consider it an extremely unremarkable talent. By that logic, they might consider themselves geniuses when they clearly aren't. Similarly, a genius who mostly lacks "common sense" might consider it a notable gift, and thus might consider themselves about average by that logic. Furthermore, some people, regardless of intelligence, are more or less impressed by different things, which adds more variables. Still a pretty bad gauge.

May 29, 2011
I dunno really. I've never really fully applied my intelligence to anything. I get pretty good grades without really trying, so that COULD mean i'm above average but it could just mean I have above average memory. I'm good at math, if that means anything (which I doubt it does).

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
ThrobbingEgo said:
kickassfrog said:

130 is not 'slightly above average.' That's two standard deviations from the average, which would put you at a single IQ point below Mensa. 115 would be significantly above average.
between Genius and Slightly Above Average

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I dunno. Probably average, could go either way?
Grades and stuff is usually pretty shitty, but I can generally hold my own in a proper discussion and don't have a "stupid" sense of humor, I guess.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I went for well below average, I have a posh british accent so most people just assume I have more natural intellect than I actually do. I have more in common with a rock than I do Einstein.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
I'll get back to you after I talk to the 7-odd billion people in the world and see how I stack up.