Poll: Rate your Intelligence! (UPDATED: NOW WITH I.Q. TEST TO PROVE YOUR BRAVDO!)

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
IndomitableSam said:
This could get controversial, and (edit: most) everyone will say they're above average or better.
Most people tend to evaluate their abilities as above average, oblivious to their own flaws.

Which is weird to say, since I voted "genius" and therefore sound like I'm invoking it myself. But I have a string of IQ tests that put me at genius level, so even if I take IQ tests with a grain of salt, I do believe it is SOME indicator.
Not really. I got a 143 on my IQ test during school, but IQ tests are only useful in projecting how well kids will do in school and whether they will need help. "Intelligence" is such a vague term, anyway. Our IQ tests would differ wildly from some cultures' tests because the emphasis on what is important to know is different.
OP: I firmly believe that I am average.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I wouldn't consider myself a genius (because I'm not) but "slightly above average" isn't right either. I'd consider myself in the top 20% or maybe 10% of society in terms of intelligence. I'm starting a degree in chemistry in September and I got ABB in my A-levels (I did the three main sciences, which are amongst the hardest of A-level courses (apart from maybe Further Maths)). There should be a "well above average" option put in there.

I don't think I'm being unrealistic or arrogant, but I just see so many moronic people where I live that it makes me think the average isn't all that high. I guess it probably is my area though, we were voted one of the worst places to live in Great Britain.

C117 said:
It's somewhat amusing how many people consider themselves "slightly above average" according to the poll. Does it mean that those who think they are above average are becoming the norm, making them the new average, or does it mean that all average-or-below people don't hang on The Escapist?

Food for thought...
I think that these forums don't attract a lot of stupid people. It's very rare that I find people on here using "r" and "u" instead of "are" and "you", whereas it's pretty much the norm in the comments section of most youtube videos. I know that's not a measure of intelligence, but it just seems that the majority of people here can string together coherent arguments and educated discussions, which actually puts them above average in my eyes.

e033x

Sep 13, 2010
IQ-wise; pretty average. Scored 110 (though while i was quite tired). If you count grades, I'll score quite above average.

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
I remember there was a thread on the escapist where people posted their Iq scores and nearly every other post was 140+. it was just daft. A huge amount of people online consider themselves well above average (usually insisting that they tested genius as a child or some story involving mensa) but if only they could actually work, weren't so lazy, easily distracted etc...
I used to do this exact thing but I changed over the last year. last year was my exam year and instead of continuing to dick about, not show up and not work which would give me "above average results" which i could flaunt saying and i didn't even try. It would get me a half decent computer science course somewhere and i would continue to drift along. Instead about the middle of the school year i started working, studying and such, i got top marks in maths, applied maths, physics and history which are widely regarded as some of the most difficult subjects. Overall my results were in the top 1000 of the country at least (56 thousand took the exam)and later this month I'm starting mathematical science at a good uni.
What I'm getting at is people love saying that they're smart but they don't try. It means they can still think of themselves as better than everyone around them and they never have to work for it or get together any proof. I think that many of them are afraid that if they do try they won't turn out to be as smart as they think they are.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I consider myself bright, but I don't know if I'd consider myself above average.

I mean, I was a terrible student, my grades were awful, but that's mostly because I struggle to focus on things that simply don't interest me.
I know that feel, bro. Though according to you, I have your 17 year old self outclassed! :D

I was given an IQ test that came back 112, so if I were to take that at face value, I guess I'd be slightly above average.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I'll rate myself as above average... genius in certain aspects, sure... But above average is where I'll sit...

I out-intellect most people in my class at university... So, if that's credit to my name I'll stick with it...

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Above average, because I've always done very well on IQ tests and good grades have come easily to me. Basically, B's when I half-assed a class, A's when I actually cared.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Not really. I got a 143 on my IQ test during school, but IQ tests are only useful in projecting how well kids will do in school and whether they will need help.
LOL. Yeah, that's completely out of touch with things. Sorry.

If you want to criticise IQ tests, there are many points, but just testing how well you will do in school...No, just no.

And on that note, I had terrible grades and genius level tests. Personal anecdotes do not mean evidence, but I certainly feel like pointing out the personal reason I laugh.

Flippincrazy

Jul 4, 2010
I like to think that intelligence is mixture of natural ability and, more importantly, the proactive application of said natural ability in one's life. I'd say I'm average, as I consider myself reasonably smart in the grades/IQ sense but lack the will to build upon said smarts towards any meaningful end.

God I love being a lazy waste of space.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
I'm intelligent enough to know that I'm intelligent enough to skate by on doing nothing. I spent two years doing nothing in Sociology and my grade breakdown was A,B,B,E and the E had result from circumstances outside of schooling. So I'm not a genius but I'm pretty damn intelligent.

Jan 13, 2012
I think I'm pretty average actually. I get C's all the time but that's just me procrastinating and leaving things to the last minute.

In fact, I'm pretty average in all the aspects of life...... now I'm depressed at my averageness....

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
My grades suggest I am above average, however I am socially retarded....

Derp.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
I had my I.Q. rated when I was little, and even though I never was able to fully finish it, because I was too fidgety. The person who tested me was a professional, and she told my parents that my I.Q. was way above average.

I bet that if I was able to complete the I.Q. test that I would probably be a genius.

I know I'm smart, and I know others know it as well. Yet, I'm not the sort of person who will be condescending towards others, just because I may be smarter than them.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Slightly above average. When I am with most of the people in my school I feel like Albert Einstein, but when I am with my friends I feel a lot more humble around all the 4.5s and everything.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
How smart do you think you are in relation to the rest of your country; Below average, average or above average, and what proof would you have to back that up?
It'll be interesting to see what results we get from the Escapist.

P.S.
I went for slightly above average, I always got good grades, and I've a degree, but then everyone has a degree nowadays...
Define "Intelligence", I dare you. "Grades" does not equal "intelligence" per the modern definitions I'm aware of.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
So many above average people in here lol. Where does one even take an IQ test? I've never taken one so maybe I can post the score here and feel better about myself, or feel dumb when I score like a 90.

1, 2 potato

edit: and sup with the "I'm smart but lazy hurr". That's not an excuse. If anything that just proves you're average because most people are generally intelligent but don't overly apply themselves. And there seriously is too much "smart but lazy" people in here. Again, that's not an excuse.

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
Voted above average, I've participated in lots of language olympiades (3rd place in the city, 1st place in the city etc)

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
gradewise I do really well...however I am clumsy as all get out and have absolutely horrible habit of losing things and after all these years it still takes me a couple fo seconds to remember which is my left and which is my right so I think that brings me down quite a bit so...slightly below average...maybe?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Wow, so many people think they are above average.
No, I think I'm average.
Maybe above average in some areas, but certainly below average in others, so I think it all evens out to an average. Maybe a little under. My brain hasn't got much use recently. :(

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
Phasmal said:
No, I think I'm average.
Maybe above average in some areas, but certainly below average in others, so I think it all evens out to an average. Maybe a little under. My brain hasn't got much use recently. :(
Describes me accurately as well. Though my brain will likely start seeing some use after the weekend when I begin my my course in economics. :)