Poll: Re-Readable Books

chronicfc

Jun 1, 2011
Recently (and by recently I mean right now) I've been thinking about books that could be read more than once. Personally I don't re-read books a whole lot, as I tend to find a lot of books that I enjoy to be very long. However, there have been books that I've read and enjoyed many times, and these books have all been mainly books in the Douglas Adams Hitchhiker series. So I was wandering, Escapists, what books, if any, have you read over and over again?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
These are the books I re-read pretty much every couple of years:

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
Magician - Raymond E Feist
A Bridge Too Far - Cornelius Ryan
Fool's Fate - Robin Hobb
Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems - Galileo Galilei

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
I reread Ender's Game and The Hobbit simply because I originally read them in junior high (I'm now 26) and I wanted to see if I still liked them, and yes I did. But otherwise I'd rather read something new than something I've already read.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Dead Zone- Stephen King
The Count of Monte Cristo- Alexandre Dumas
Fear and Trembling- Soren Kierkegaard
White Fang and Call of the Wild- Jack London

woogit

Mar 16, 2011
Most books I like, I read fast, then I have to re-read them so I actually know what happened.
Then there are just a few books that have to be re-read because they are epic.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Ciaphas Cain series, Gaunt's Ghosts, Area 7 and Scarecrow. I can't explain why I like them, but I do.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
I'll read a book once, and if in 3 years, I sort of forgot what happened, and I remember liking the book/series, I'll reread it. So far, this has only happened 3 times with one series and twice with another (I've only been pushing myself to read for the last 7 years, before that I was too young to read or didn't have the motivation). House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski is a book I've read 3 times so far. Amazing book, and after a year or two, you've forgotten enough of it to read it again.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I do this with shows and comics. If I really enjoyed them I rewatch them many many times. I have gone through One Piece around four times now and Berserk twice which doesn't sound like much but if you look how long they get you will see what I mean.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I tend to do this if I really liked a show or comic. I read through One Piece four times and Berserk twice which may not sound like that much but if you see how lnog they are you will relize what I mean.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Up through my teenaged years, I reread my favourite books and series over and over again--especially when I was vested in series as they were coming out, and you had to wait a year for the next volume.

Since university I've had a lot more reading I need to do and want to do, so I don't really have time to reread books anymore. I barely have time to read the books I want once. Once in a while, when I actually have time, I might go back and reread something I read when I was much younger to see if I get the same things out of it.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Does Manga count? Because I've totally reread the manga I read many times. If not
Catchy Slogan said:
When I was younger, I never really got new books, so I would just re-read all the books I had.
And I have some crazy resistance of trying something new for absolutely unfound reasons, so I haven't read a new book for a while.

Kinpatsu

Jul 6, 2011
I tend to re-read a lot of my favorite books. The ones I've gone through lately are:

Christine - Stephen King
Lioness Rampant - Tamora Pierce
Love Is a Dog From Hell - Charles Bukowski
The Sandman: Fables and Reflections - Neil Gaiman

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Every now and then I'll pick up an old Terry Pratchett and reread it. I've lost count of how many times I've reread them.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Normally I don't re-read books (apart from comics and such) in a long time. I have too many books on my reading list to have time to also read old ones again atm.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Richardplex said:
Does Manga count? Because I've totally reread the manga I read many times. If not
Catchy Slogan said:
When I was younger, I never really got new books, so I would just re-read all the books I had.
And I have some crazy resistance of trying something new for absolutely unfound reasons, so I haven't read a new book for a while.
Quite the opposite for me ;P Now that I'm older and have a job/ money I've started to try all the things I've ever wanted. Like read more. Learn about computers. They've always facinated me but I've never known where to start. Play more video games :D

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
chronicfc said:
Recently (and by recently I mean right now) I've been thinking about books that could be read more than once. Personally I don't re-read books a whole lot, as I tend to find a lot of books that I enjoy to be very long. However, there have been books that I've read and enjoyed many times, and these books have all been mainly books in the Douglas Adams Hitchhiker series. So I was wandering, Escapists, what books, if any, have you read over and over again?
I've been a bibliophile since I was 3 years old, so I have oodles of books I devour regularly. The ones I've re-read recently are:

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
Small Favor by Jim Butcher
The Lord of the Rings
Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward
Just Another Judgment Day by Simon R Green
Most of the Redwall books by Brian Jacques
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks
The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

That's the list of books I have re-read within the last year or so. There's another several dozen books I've read many times each, but the list would get a bit ridiculous afterwards.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
I've been reading since very young and have kept it up as a hobby to this day, so there are books out there I've read many times and will read many more times.

My favourite is a series of 10 books called The Malazan Book of the Fallen by an author called Steven Erikson. The final book was only released about a month ago and I'm already looking forward to going back to the start and finding new connections and allusions throughout the series.