Poll: Replacement for the M16?

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Phoenixlight said:
The A.C.R. Bushmaster seems like a better weapon, it's really accurate and has little recoil in Modern Warfare 2.
FYI: Modern Warfare is a GAME! Just because it has little recoil in that game doesn't make it that good in real life.

O.T. It has already been replaced, my the m16a1 and 2. Oh, right, but you want a properly new gun right? Well then the M4 would be a good replacement, but upgrading to that really wouldn't be worth it for the US army. The g36 could also be a suitable replacement, but honestly, they don't need to have a replacement. The M16 works perfectly fine has the US's main assault rifle, it's cheap, easily cleanable (The newest models anyway, the m16 was notorious in the Vietnam war for not being issued with a cleaning kit, and being prone to jamming and rusting due to what the barrel was made out of.) and fixable. It's the ideal weapon for the US army. Upgrading would be pointless and expensive.

Silent Eagle

Mar 11, 2010
The m-16's bolt goes all the way back into the stock when a cartridge is fired to reduce recoil,does the ak-47 do that to?
Can the 47's stock be removed?

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
TerribleAssassin said:
In all seriousness, keep the M16, it took the Viet Cong out, and it's probably took more people out than I can be bothered listing.
Actually, like I said in a previous post, it was quite unreliable in the jungles of Vietnam and was prone to jamming. Especially seeing has they didn't think to issue the M16 with a cleaning kit, which they eventually fixed with the M16a1 &2. Besides, America lost the war.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The US M4 Infantry weapon will be replaced by whoever bids the lowest to outfit most soldiers with one and create a major surplus during times of long term hostile deployment.

Australia said it would start shifting it's primary firearm to the AICW by 2012 but nothing has really come of it so far ...

CouchCommando

Apr 24, 2008
H&K G11 (Caseless ammo) I recon this weapon had a decent prospective future with a little more work it could well have been the standard issue weapon of the future.
But cost constraints and the obvious problem to work its unique ammunition logistically into the modern army makes me think its concept was well before its time.
Obvious bonus of having 45 round magazine, and no shell to discard or worry about jamming the weapon as well as a phenomenal rate of automatic fire.
Not too sure on how much it weighed thou and what its actual performance was like in trials. But the concept pushed some boundaries. And I could well see a different weapon but using the ground breaking concepts integrated into the G11 been made available in the armed forces of the future.
Perhaps with an even larger magazine capacity and some kind of good guy recognition lock on it to prevent enemy combatants from been able to use it against your own. (If I do recall correctly it did use a cpu to manage its rate of fire so this doesn't seem like that much of a stretch of the imagination)
I do think the basic M16 will be around for a long time to come though. And most of the other rifles that people put forward just cant be justified because if they are using the same ammunition as the M16 there really isn't going to be that much of a difference in performance to justify scraping the already capable and issued incumbent.

John47

Jul 19, 2010
m16 technically sucks you can't drop it in water or sand if you do then it will be beyond repair you will need a new one after that by the way it isn't already replaced by the m4 m4 is almost the same as m16 infact it looks as it would the same model only with sprinkles added . my sugestion is xm8 rifle because it's one of the more new weapons that i could find on google it started beeing produced 2004 and was cancelled 2005 why? i don't get it instead of the old crap that brakes so easily you can get a new high tech weapon but cancel it?! seriously?!also m16 gets stuck almost every second magazine

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
gh0ti said:
The reason why the M-16 has been in service so long is because assault-rifle development has really hit a plateau since it was developed. Since then, although a lot of different things have been tried, such as bullpup configurations, the benefits these offer aren't significant enough for the US to totally re-equip its armed forces.

The truth is, the current generation of assault rifles are more than accurate, deadly and lightweight enough to carry out their job. The main challenge for designers is to make their weapons more reliable, which is why the British overhauled their L85s and why the Americans are looking at replacing their M4s for the HK416.

As things stand, anything short of a breakthrough in weapons technology is rather superfluous. That's why there have been so many failed attempts to produce a do-it-all infantry weapon (OICW as an example). It's possible that the future may lie in producing smaller weapons that retain the accuracy and firepower characteristics of assault rifles.
You are pretty much saying we need small arm rail guns. Producing a gun thats smaller without reducing accuracy but with the same explosive force as a larger gun would be very difficult to create.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
In all seriousness the M16 cannot and will not be replaced for awhile because of the massive debt US is in and actually M16's are being brought back into service because they are inexpensive.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
I still say leave it to the AK-47 based on the fact that most countries the U.S is at war with has the 7.62x39mm cartidge. Free ammo+cheap weapon=profit. But the Remington ACR is able to used the 7.62 as well. My bid is on the still heavy wallet.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
They commonly use the M4, which is derived from the M16, so they are using the M16 still, in a round about way.

I think they should have went with the XM8, as it seemed like the perfect weapon system, seeing as it can be refitted with different componants to fit the needs of the soldiers.

Barring that, the Bushmaster ACR

http://www.bushmaster.com/acr/

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Silent Eagle said:
Fire arms combat has hardly changed at all since they first made guns. Your overall goal is to kill the other guy when fighting with guns.
Sorry, but that's a ridiculous over-simplification.

That's not combat, that's the end result you're describing. The actual "combat" part is made up of different weapons systems, tactical doctrine and training, which have changed enormously over the last four or five centuries.

17th century Musketeers bear little resemblance to the highly mobile, armour wearing soldiers that wield weapons that are capable of much further range, greater damage, and an incredibly higher rate of fire than their historical predecessor.

The 18th century muskets were highly inaccurate and had a severe limitation on range- but highly effective if used en masse.

Rifles becoming more prevalent saw a huge shift in tactical doctrines, so you see a move away from large formations in marching order to men spread out behind cover taking careful aim at their targets.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Tadas Kucikas said:
m16 technically sucks you can't drop it in water or sand if you do then it will be beyond repair you will need a new one after that by the way it isn't already replaced by the m4 m4 is almost the same as m16 infact it looks as it would the same model only with sprinkles added . my sugestion is xm8 rifle because it's one of the more new weapons that i could find on google it started beeing produced 2004 and was cancelled 2005 why? i don't get it instead of the old crap that brakes so easily you can get a new high tech weapon but cancel it?! seriously?!also m16 gets stuck almost every second magazine
The XM8 Project was cancelled due to the gun being vastly inferior to most modern infantry/civillian rifles. It was basically just a G36 with a new body (As far as I am aware, most/all of the internals were exactly the same as the G36C's).

Despite being based off of a more reliable rifle, the body was not made of the same materials as the G36 (Nylon Fibreglass and a Zinc alloy I think, I may be wrong). Due to this, the body melted in desert conditions. The XM8 also didn't have any RIS Rails, so it was unable to fit Optics where a person needed them. Where it could fit Optics, however, they had to be zero'd, which was a painstaking process with the XM8, as almost every soldier holds their rifle uniquely, the Optics could not be moved, and had to be zero'd individually by the user for the user.

In short, the XM8 is an inferior rifle to most used by the Armed Forces today.

On Topic: Personally, I think that the US should replace the M16 with the SA80 (The L85A2), or not at all. I mainly would like to see the US replace the M16 with the SA80 as it is compatible with M16/M4 Magazines, is Bullpupp, giving the rifle a long barrel whilst retaining the Carbine-esque length.

However, as far as I am aware, US Soldiers are still trained to be able to fire their gun left handed. This is impossible with the SA80 variants (Unless the special Left Handed one is being used, then the same applies to for the right), as the Ejection Port on the SA80 and its variants is towards the back, as the rifle is Bullpupp. If some one tried to fire the gun left handed, whilst using the right handed rifle, the hot, recently spent shells will go flying into their face.

Finally, I am unsure about the cost of changing the M16/Variants to the SA80/Variants for the US, which will no doubt be a contributing factor towards the replacement of the M16.

nairb1582

Jan 15, 2009
I still think Steyr needs to remake the original Advanced Combat Rifle (ACR). Out of the advanced rifle program in the 80's, it looked like the best prospect. Sure it would be a readjustment period for the troops to use it, but it had ray-gun accuracy and bullets that go almost a mile a second.

awmperry

Geek of Guns and Games
Apr 30, 2008
This is likely to be the mother of all TL;DR, but ho hum...

---

Trivun said:
Here in the UK we use the L-98 series. Single-shot, have to cock it after each shot, but a very good range and easy to use and maintain. ... I trained with a cadet version when I was in the CCF (Combined Cadet Force) in school
Trivun said:
As far as I'm aware it's the L-98, but I only ever used it at school, which I left two years ago, so it might have changed since then.
Trivun said:
Never used the SA80 myself, but the L-98 was what we always used on our own shooting range,
J03bot said:
I'm fairly sure that it's just the cadet version of the L-98 that's single shot and needs cocking each time - the military version can switch from semi-automatic to fully automatic.
BiscuitTrouser said:
It im a pretty good shot with the old bolt actions though, reminds me of the SA80 which i thought was our current gun no?
gh0ti said:
The Cadet version has the gas parts removed, which is why it functions as a bolt-action. The cocking handle is also much larger, so that children can operate it with their right hand, meaning they don't have to support so much of the weight of the weapon when cocking it/performing safety drills. The military version also (usually) has a SUSAT scope attached, rather than iron sights.
Perhaps I can clarify things a bit.

The SA80 system - Small Arm for the 80s, tellingly - consists of a series of weapons loosely based on the EM-2 programme of the early 1950s.

The main item is the L85 IW (Individual Weapon), currently in its A2 incarnation with improved reliability and a variety of ergonomic improvements. In fact, Gh0ti, tooth arms nowadays have an even more updated version with a railed forend and ACOG-type sight system; the SUSAT unit, much as I love it, seems to be being phased out.

The second item is the L86 LSW (Light Support Weapon), again in an improved A2 form, distinguished by the significantly longer barrel, attached bipod and shorter forend. Originally intended as a section machine gun, its magazine feed made it unsuitable for the sustained fire role. Its improved accuracy has instead resulted in the L86 being used in something approximating a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) role.

There is a carbine version, often referred to as the AFV (Armoured Fighting Vehicle) or, erroneously, the commando version. I think it's the L22, but my memory could be failing me. They're generally issued to certain armoured regiments.

Now, the one you're all talking about is the L98 Cadet GP (General Purpose) rifle. It's intended for the cadet forces only; the regular British forces DO NOT use the L98.

Its original incarnation was essentially an L85A1 with the gas parts and flash suppressor removed, firing - as you say - in essentially a bolt action mode. In recent years, an A2 version has been brought out replacing the gas system (semi-automatic only, without the full-auto capability the rest of the SA80 family has) and flash suppressor, which allows the use of a BFA (Blank Firing Adaptor) and thus means it can be safely used on nitexes.

So yeah - SA80 is the whole family, and thus techically both all the weapons and none of them. So yes, BiscuitTrouser, the SA80 is our current rifle, but the bolt-action L98/L98A1 is not.

---

As for the actual point of the thread, there are very few - if any - of us who are really qualified to comment. After all, most likely none of us are in military procurement, and most of us aren't in the US military, so any comments we make will be academic. The M16/M4 series as it stands is a weapon system that has matured and is, these days, a genuinely good rifle (much as I hate to admit it, I loved it when I recently got the chance to try an M4).

So the question is what needs to change, and what changes are just changes for the sake of changing things.

The reliability of the current crop is overall good; few weapons will match the legendary reliability of the Kalashnikov family, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect it from a weapon designed for other priorities. The current M16/M4 series is adaptable, accurate, light, and as reliable as is reasonable to expect. Yes, it could be made better, and indeed there are vast swathes of after-market accessories to do so, but overall the benefit of those accessories doesn't, for most troops, justify the cost.

Several people in the thread have advocated some international options; AK-47 (which has been obsolete since 1974), FA-MAS, etc. Realistically, the American military is unlikely to buy a foreign weapon, let alone a Russian one (and, to be honest, given the differences in training and doctrine, the Kalashnikov series isn't suitable). There are exceptions to this, of course; the Italian Beretta pistol, the Belgian Minimi (M249), MAG 58 (M240) and M2HB/M3M machine guns, the Swedish AT4, and so forth. But an AK-47? No. It won't happen.

There are always studies in progress to evaluate new options for a service rifle, and until one shows a significant and cost-justifiable improvement over the current rifles the M16/M4 will remain the norm.

That said, as I see it, there are a few front-runners at the moment.
- The H&K 416
- The FN SCAR-L
- The M468
- The Bushmaster ACR (formerly the Magpul Masada)
There's one thing common to most of these: they can pretty much all be described as "essentially an M4 made better". The M468 offers greater stopping power, after reports of the M193 5.56mm round all too often being incapable of a first-shot stop (although it's worth noting that the European STANAG round, the SS109, uses a heavier, slower round with, some argue, better terminal ballistic performance). The 416 primarily focusses on improved reliability, and the SCAR and ACR mostly have ergonomic and functional improvements.

Personally, I like the Swedish AK5, but that's just because it's the one I'm most used to; very reliable, very accurate, but heavy and cumbersome. And it really isn't a likely candidate.

Of the more outlandish options, I think the non-STANAG magazines used by the G36 make it a very unlikely candidate, though with the addition of a STANAG magazine well conversion I could imagine it happening. The FN F2000 is another possibility, eliminating many of the traditional problems with bullpup weapons - but with its mechanism relying on a small plastic rocker I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on it in a combat situation.

Realistically, I suspect the M16/M4 series will remain in service, with incremental improvements borrowing the best of those four front-runners, for at least the foreseeable future. Would America's military capability be improved by a newer weapon? Sure - but not enough to be worth it, I think.

Wow. That got long.

nairb1582

Jan 15, 2009
TerribleAssassin said:
Sacman said:
The AK-47/74 duh...
NO YOU HAVE TO BE RANK 70!

In all seriousness, keep the M16, it took the Viet Cong out, and it's probably took more people out than I can be bothered listing.
For the love of god COD fans. THOSE ARE TWO SEPARATE GUNS. The Russians use the AK74, hell the lucky ones may even get an AK107 or Abakan. Playing those games does not mean you know guns.

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
Warped_Ghost said:
gh0ti said:
The reason why the M-16 has been in service so long is because assault-rifle development has really hit a plateau since it was developed. Since then, although a lot of different things have been tried, such as bullpup configurations, the benefits these offer aren't significant enough for the US to totally re-equip its armed forces.

The truth is, the current generation of assault rifles are more than accurate, deadly and lightweight enough to carry out their job. The main challenge for designers is to make their weapons more reliable, which is why the British overhauled their L85s and why the Americans are looking at replacing their M4s for the HK416.

As things stand, anything short of a breakthrough in weapons technology is rather superfluous. That's why there have been so many failed attempts to produce a do-it-all infantry weapon (OICW as an example). It's possible that the future may lie in producing smaller weapons that retain the accuracy and firepower characteristics of assault rifles.
You are pretty much saying we need small arm rail guns. Producing a gun thats smaller without reducing accuracy but with the same explosive force as a larger gun would be very difficult to create.
Which is pretty much the exact point I'm making. It's hard to see where firearms manufacturers go next because the current generation of assault rifles are so good - or at least "good enough". It will likely take an intuitive/technological leap before we start seeing new weapons replace the standard service rifles currently in use. EDIT: It often takes a lot to convince generals and their paymasters that an upgrade is vital - demonstrable superiority is the key.

And as awmperry says, it's almost inconceivable that the US military would choose a foreign design as their standard issue.