Poll: Replacement for the M16?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Akai Shizuku said:
You mean for the AmeriKKKan soldiers, the tools of imperialism and unjustifiable bloodshed, all in the name of profit motive? Nope, I think the M16 is just fine.

Or, perhaps this.

http://www.bennylingbling.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/maverick.jpg

Maybe then it would be just a little bit quicker and easier (not much, since the M16 is shit, but whatever) for those fighting for their freedom, self-determination, and their fucking survival in Afghanistan, Iraq, and probably soon Korea, to kick those imperialist swine off their land.
So much hate and misinformation. It really is sad to see this kind of behavior, I am just glad I don't run into stuff like this all that often.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
-AC80- said:
Famas? SCAR-H? XM8? i dont know but in games i like the m16 as the handle iron sights just looks rally good so i guess it may stay for now.
Major problem though is that the round does have the proper power, also I've heard it's crap when It comes to terrain, water and sand will make the thing jam easy.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
No, no rifles currently in development(that I know of at least) warrant the cost of completely reequipping and retraining hundreds of thousands of servicemen and women. The only exception to this is M-4 which is replacing the M-16 in places where CQB is much more common, this is being done due to the fact that the M-4 is a carbine, and much better suited for urban warfare. As a matter of fact, The US Air Force Security Forces have already made a complete transition to the M-4. That being said, the M-16 is not going anywhere for quite some time.

Akai Shizuku said:
You mean for the AmeriKKKan soldiers, the tools of imperialism and unjustifiable bloodshed, all in the name of profit motive? Nope, I think the M16 is just fine.

Or, perhaps this.

http://www.bennylingbling.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/maverick.jpg

Maybe then it would be just a little bit quicker and easier (not much, since the M16 is shit, but whatever) for those fighting for their freedom, self-determination, and their fucking survival in Afghanistan, Iraq, and probably soon Korea, to kick those imperialist swine off their land.
Misinformation is fun isn't it? If you ask anyone who knows jack about firearms they will tell you that the M-16 is a great rifle. Just about any list of best combat rifles has the M-16 there, for the obvious reason that it is a highly effective weapon. Maybe if you stopped sipping your hateraid for awhile you can research a topic before spouting hate.

And on a side note, why are so many people here calling the M-16 crap? From what I see most people are choosing weapons based on looks, what they have seen in games, or by political motivation.

AWDMANOUT said:
By this... You mean the US military... right? You should be a bit more specific.

And well, I dunno. What about the XMB Battlefield has been so apparently crazy over?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/XM8-Poster.jpg
That was canceled some time ago actually.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
You'd think the "47" would give it away. The gun is from 1947, anyone using an AK-47 is using it because they come from a third world shithole and can't afford a real rifle.
Actually anyone using an AK-47 now has to be very wealthy, because these things are rare, impossible to get original parts for and the rifle belongs in a museum.

AKM

AKM is the name of the rifle you're looking for. Not 47. M.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Dmatix said:
Well, the Israeli's are currently replacing the M16 with the TAR-21, or Tavor. The gun had showed to be more accurate and reliable then the M4 in field testing (Looks pretty badass too).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Tavor_TAR-21
Nice look. Now to see whether it's up to spec. Sometimes new designs are surprisingly good and sometimes they suck.

Bullpup gives you a longer barrel in a shorter weapon, 518mm of barrel in 780mm of L85 giving 940m/s muzzle velocity versus 508mm of barrel in 1006mm of M16A2 (the variant that uses the same ammo) giving 910 m/s muzzle velocity. In between them you get 646mm of barrel in the 900mm L86 giving you 970 m/s but that's a 7.3kg weapon, which is quite a lot.

How about the AK102 or AK108?

How about something like the Tavor or AK108 in something like 5x55mm? I know, I know, new ammo's a pain in everybody's butt.

Trivun said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Trivun said:
Here in the UK we use the L-98 series. Single-shot, have to cock it after each shot, but ...
... reminds me of the SA80 which i thought was our current gun no?
As far as I'm aware it's the L-98 ... Never used the SA80 myself, but the L-98 was what we always used on our own shooting range ...
SA80 is "small arms of the '80s" and includes the L85 individual weapon (assault rifle), the L86 light support weapon (light machine gun) and the L98 cadet general purpose rifle. The first two have gas ports in the foresight block and fire selectors. The L98 has a long arm going forwards from the bolt to a large cocking handle on a rail on the right side of the barrel extension (receiver in M16 terms) and the action has to be manually cycled after each shot. This means marginally more power goes into the bullet because none is being used to cycle the action and, more significantly, means there are no moving parts other than the bullet from the moment it leaves the cartridge, so the L98 is a more accurate weapon than the L85 if you're good enough to show it. You do have to be a bit bigger than some of the little 14-year-old fairies I've seen struggling to cock the thing, though, or you'll be shaking like a leaf every time.

L98A1 with a SUSAT (sight unit small arms trilux, 4x32):

... and with iron sights / carrying handle:

L85A1 with SUSAT:

L86A2 with SUSAT (A2 variant giveaway is the tall teardrop cocking handle):

AK47: reliable, easy to maintain, good for handing out by the thousands to conscripts you can't be bothered to train for more than a week. Kicks like a *****, has the barrel way above your shoulder so the kick makes it rise a lot, is about accurate enough to "kill every mother&*&*&r in the room" and no more than that and is still working. I think it's a bit like the Sten, which was designed specially to allow some Belgian blacksmith to make half a dozen of them out of scrap metal over a weekend and to fire the abundant 9x19mm Luger ammunition.

As for old designs that are still good still being in use,
Armalon PC [http://world.guns.ru/civil/civ012-e.htm] carbine is based on famous Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield No.4 (SMLE No.4) rifle [http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl04-e.htm] action, with manually operated rotary bolt. The basic action and bolt are highly redesigned for better work with short pistol cartridges. Original barrel is replaced with shorter one, in appropriate caliber. Original magazine is also discarded and a magazine adapter is installed, which will then accept pistol magazines in appropriate caliber.
I want one, and a big supply of Glaser Blue ammunition for it ... for rabbits. I'm not sure what calibre, though. .357 Mag, maybe?

The same SMLE was converted (twice) to become the Enfield L39A1, L42A1 and Enforcer [http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn44-e.htm], still manufactured into the 1980s.

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
Trivun said:
Here in the UK we use the L-98 series. Single-shot, have to cock it after each shot, but a very good range and easy to use and maintain. Easy to strip down, too. I trained with a cadet version when I was in the CCF (Combined Cadet Force) in school, RAF section, and it was so easy to handle. It's a modified version for cadet use of what the British troops use in the field out in Iraq and Afghanistan and wherever, though I'm not sure how long it's been in service. But surely, for all countries, weapons should be recycled and a new version or a more advanced weapon be made available when new technology is developed? Upgrades can only get you so far, eventually as the technology changes military forces need to change with it, right?
Not True. The standard rifle for the British forces is the L85, a bullpup rifle that can be fired in semi-automatic or Automatic, The British forces stopped using pure semi-automatic rifles (The L1A1) in the 80s after problems in Northern Ireland with overpowering and general upgrading.

(Sorry. Family in the military, Joining the RAF in about 5 years after University.)

OT: Go with the same motto the US Forces use for the M60

"If it ain't broke, Don't fix it"

M16s are cheap, accurate and reliable. No point changing.

Willsor

Jun 20, 2010
Isn't it being replaced by the XM8 in the US? I don't really know much about it, all I know is the UK are still using that crappy SA80 :/

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
WINDOWCLEAN2 said:
Trivun said:
Here in the UK we use the L-98 series. Single-shot, have to cock it after each shot, but a very good range and easy to use and maintain. Easy to strip down, too. I trained with a cadet version when I was in the CCF (Combined Cadet Force) in school, RAF section, and it was so easy to handle. It's a modified version for cadet use of what the British troops use in the field out in Iraq and Afghanistan and wherever, though I'm not sure how long it's been in service. But surely, for all countries, weapons should be recycled and a new version or a more advanced weapon be made available when new technology is developed? Upgrades can only get you so far, eventually as the technology changes military forces need to change with it, right?
Not True. The standard rifle for the British forces is the L85, a bullpup rifle that can be fired in semi-automatic or Automatic, The British forces stopped using pure semi-automatic rifles (The L1A1) in the 80s after problems in Northern Ireland with overpowering and general upgrading.

(Sorry. Family in the military, Joining the RAF in about 5 years after University.)

OT: Go with the same motto the US Forces use for the M60

"If it ain't broke, Don't fix it"

M16s are cheap, accurate and reliable. No point changing.
Yeah, someone already mentioned that, I just never got around to editing my original post. The L-98 is just a general purpose cadet-use rifle that's essentially just a modified version of the L-85, so it fires bolt-action instead of semi-automatic. Though younger friends of mine from my old school who still go there and are still part of the CCF (I left two years ago for university) have informed me that they've replaced the L-98 now with a different modified version of L-85, that fires semi-automatic instead of bolt-action. Not sure how true that is, since I haven't seen it (and I'm not sure how wise it would be to give cadets semi-automatics with live ammo...), but that's what I've been told.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
there is no replacement for the M-16, and short of some sort of the invention of completely new technology (such as reliable cassless ammunition) i don't think that the M-16 Will be changed.

sure, the M-16 may not have the best accuracy of some rifles, or may not be reliabile as others, but it has the absolute best mix of reliability, capability, and killing potential that it has become nigh impossible to replace. this is why the m-16 has become so hard to replace in the first place. so much so that we are not acctually replacing M-16s, but rather improving on their design by modifing single attributes of them.

even weapons that look to replace the M16 such as the M27, the M6a4, the HK416 arn't really replacing it... all of these guns are 80% the same to the M4s or M16s currently in service, but instead only replaces out a few key parts (the bolt, or the reciver, or the action)

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
Phoenixlight said:
The A.C.R. Bushmaster seems like a better weapon, it's really accurate and has little recoil in Modern Warfare 2.
So, you're basing your hypotheses on what makes a good combat weapon on what a game which is clearly not particularly realistic tells you? Hardly any weapon has proper recoil in that game. That doesn't tell you much about the combat efficacy of it in real life.
Fairly sure it was a joke.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
If only wars were decided by who had the more badass-looking weapons.
That means nothing will change. US BADASS! TERRORISTS SUCK! ARGHGHGHHG! KILL!
Unless a clone army decides to rise up.
Willsor said:
Isn't it being replaced by the XM8 in the US? I don't really know much about it, all I know is the UK are still using that crappy SA80 :/
They were discontinued I think....
DO NOT BELIEVE BFBC2! OVER THERE EVEN A TREE LOOKS LIKE A BADASS FIREARM!

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
nairb1582 said:
TerribleAssassin said:
Sacman said:
The AK-47/74 duh...
NO YOU HAVE TO BE RANK 70!

In all seriousness, keep the M16, it took the Viet Cong out, and it's probably took more people out than I can be bothered listing.
For the love of god COD fans. THOSE ARE TWO SEPARATE GUNS. The Russians use the AK74, hell the lucky ones may even get an AK107 or Abakan. Playing those games does not mean you know guns.
It was a joke, chiil.
And also if the USMC still use the M16, it should settle for any squad.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
We still use the M16 due to its reliablity as a rifle.
Of course there are possible replacements, like the recently made FN Scar series.

Locko96

Jan 18, 2010
Phoenixlight said:
The A.C.R. Bushmaster seems like a better weapon, it's really accurate and has little recoil in Modern Warfare 2.
The key words in that sentence were "in Modern Warfare 2".

OT: The M16 has stayed in so long because of it's sheer versatility. Period.

swolf

May 3, 2010
capin Rob said:
AWDMANOUT said:
By this... You mean the US military... right? You should be a bit more specific.

And well, I dunno. What about the XMB Battlefield has been so apparently crazy over?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/XM8-Poster.jpg
It was Orignally going to be that, But It WILL be the HK416.

I remember reading an article in a U.S. Army newspaper where they compared a carbine (I believe it was this^) to the standard M-16. The HK416 is better on many fronts but they have a contract with the makers of the M-16. So, until that contract's up, that's what they're sticking with.