Poll: Replacement for the M16?

sansamour14

Jul 16, 2010
Well ive been looking at the m16s history and i find it had to believe that it has been in service for almost 60 years with no replacement in sight i know its a good rifle but i think its about time we equip our soldiers with better tech cuz like a computer u can keep upgrading it but eventually you'll have to replace it.

Wat are your suggestions please have the name, manufacturer, country of origin, and why it should be the next primary infantry rifle and if you think the rifle shouldn't be replaced please elaborate.

Please also take into account that if your rifle were to become the next standard our soldiers will have to use it so please dont choose a rifle just cuz u think its cool but think of does who will have to use it in combat.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
By this... You mean the US military... right? You should be a bit more specific.

And well, I dunno. What about the XMB Battlefield has been so apparently crazy over?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/XM8-Poster.jpg

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I've heard about this new type of warfare the Japanese are using. We should adapt to it and try to master it before they have a chance of using it against us.

It's pretty scary stuff.

They call them Pokemon

Other than that though, I don't see a need for replacing any standardized weapons the military might have. It's not like most threats soldiers will encounter nowadays has anything more advanced than they have.

capin Rob

Apr 2, 2010
AWDMANOUT said:
By this... You mean the US military... right? You should be a bit more specific.

And well, I dunno. What about the XMB Battlefield has been so apparently crazy over?

It was Orignally going to be that, But It WILL be the HK416.

-AC80-

Jul 10, 2009
Famas? SCAR-H? XM8? i dont know but in games i like the m16 as the handle iron sights just looks rally good so i guess it may stay for now.

sansamour14

Jul 16, 2010
Cody211282 said:
It was replaced by the M4 already.
the M4 was derived from the M16 but it has not become the primary rifle but it complements it

as for the XM8 it was shelved for unknown reasons which to me sounds like the US army doesn't want their primary rifle to be foreign but american made

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
AWDMANOUT said:

agreed and good diagram

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
Let's see...

Jesus. In the 80's there was the Advanced Combat Rifle Program meant to replace the M16. The three final proofs-of-concept were the Steyr ACR (Bullpup, fired flechette rounds), the Colt ACR (It still used the AR-15 design) and the H&K G11 (Caseless ammo). The ACR Program was dropped due to the fact it would be too expensive.

The XM8 went to the ground not because it was foreign (remember, the US doesn't judge: Our MG's tend to be FN, our SMGs thend to be HK), but because of funding.

The SCAR is currently NOT a full replacement. It's a partial replacement, used by special forces. Same with HK 416, used basically by Delta.

So, because it fits a 'magic 3' in terms of DoD standards (low cost, simple to teach to use, modular) it remains in our system. Replacement rounds have begun again recently.

sansamour14

Jul 16, 2010
i just find that during the testing they require 100% better performance for a replacement and that doesn't seem logically possible

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Obviously everyone should dualwield shotguns, or train in sustained sprinting and knife teleporting. Or just use grenade launchers.

According to teh internet, this is the most imbalanced and overpowered forms of combat (besides ninjas, nothing trumphs ninjas, cept for stronger ninjas)

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
AWDMANOUT said:

Ahhhh pure recoil and barrel overheating.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
The A.C.R. Bushmaster seems like a better weapon, it's really accurate and has little recoil in Modern Warfare 2.