Poll: Replacement for the M16?

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I think they should use the alien dancing raygun from the first episode of south park. Go on america, you have a huge military budget, you know you guys can make one. Get to it.

Jackson - Deathclaw

Feb 21, 2009
scumofsociety said:
I think they should use the alien dancing raygun from the first episode of south park. Go on america, you have a huge military budget, you know you guys can make one. Get to it.
or maybe the Groovitron from Ratchet and Clank

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Here in the UK we use the L-98 series. Single-shot, have to cock it after each shot, but a very good range and easy to use and maintain. Easy to strip down, too. I trained with a cadet version when I was in the CCF (Combined Cadet Force) in school, RAF section, and it was so easy to handle. It's a modified version for cadet use of what the British troops use in the field out in Iraq and Afghanistan and wherever, though I'm not sure how long it's been in service. But surely, for all countries, weapons should be recycled and a new version or a more advanced weapon be made available when new technology is developed? Upgrades can only get you so far, eventually as the technology changes military forces need to change with it, right?

EDIT: I've been informed that the above post is wrong, so here's what I've been told is right now.

The L-98 is just a general purpose cadet-use rifle that's essentially just a modified version of the L-85, so it fires bolt-action instead of semi-automatic. Though younger friends of mine from my old school who still go there and are still part of the CCF (I left two years ago for university) have informed me that they've replaced the L-98 now with a different modified version of L-85, that fires semi-automatic instead of bolt-action. Not sure how true that is, since I haven't seen it (and I'm not sure how wise it would be to give cadets semi-automatics with live ammo...), but that's what I've been told.

Kais86

May 21, 2008
Cody211282 said:
It was replaced by the M4 already.
The M4 is a piece of crap, even in comparison to the M16. I used them when I was a tank driver and I can honestly say I would rely on my pistol before I relied on my M4. The infantry units attached to my company used M16s and I was intensely jealous of them, I knew why I couldn't have one (won't fit in my vehicle) but that doesn't mean I was happy about it.

To be honest, what I really wanted was the P90, simply because it has a huge magazine and will fit in the tank. Though I wouldn't suggest using it to replace anything on a large scale.

Dmatix

Feb 3, 2009
Well, the Israeli's are currently replacing the M16 with the TAR-21, or Tavor. The gun had showed to be more accurate and reliable then the M4 in field testing (Looks pretty badass too).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Tavor_TAR-21

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
sansamour14 said:
Well ive been looking at the m16s history and i find it had to believe that it has been in service for almost 60 years with no replacement in sight i know its a good rifle but i think its about time we equip our soldiers with better tech cuz like a computer u can keep upgrading it but eventually you'll have to replace it.

Wat are your suggestions please have the name, manufacturer, country of origin, and why it should be the next primary infantry rifle and if you think the rifle shouldn't be replaced please elaborate.

Please also take into account that if your rifle were to become the next standard our soldiers will have to use it so please dont choose a rifle just cuz u think its cool but think of does who will have to use it in combat.
I read an artical here on the escapist that the ACR from cod does exist in its very very new stages, research and first prototypes i believe. Very few people previously knew it even existed. I think thats in line to replace the scar that is currently weapon of choice. Or still being integrated.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Trivun said:
Here in the UK we use the L-98 series. Single-shot, have to cock it after each shot, but a very good range and easy to use and maintain. Easy to strip down, too. I trained with a cadet version when I was in the CCF (Combined Cadet Force) in school, RAF section, and it was so easy to handle. It's a modified version for cadet use of what the British troops use in the field out in Iraq and Afghanistan and wherever, though I'm not sure how long it's been in service. But surely, for all countries, weapons should be recycled and a new version or a more advanced weapon be made available when new technology is developed? Upgrades can only get you so far, eventually as the technology changes military forces need to change with it, right?
Ive had basic training with this modified version but never got the chance to fire it with live ammunition. It im a pretty good shot with the old bolt actions though, reminds me of the SA80 which i thought was our current gun no?

klakkat

May 24, 2008
It's honestly insignificant. Most modern combat rifles (the M16 included) have fairly similar abilities, particularly since the M16 has been updated dozens of times since its first production. The key thing, however, is that infantry aren't nearly as important in warfare these days. Sure, you still need some around, but they don't do the same kind of heavy fighting they did in WWII and before. So, training is much more important than the rifle used, which means it is better to just keep using the M16 as more people have experience with it.

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
The best change for infantry would be to have mech suits instead of foot soldiers. :p

Seriously though, M16 is in need of replacement, but I don't see the US military settling on just one at this point. With SOCOM going with the SCAR, Delta going with the 416, and who knows what with the rest. The rest are probably waiting to see how the others do before they decide. I think some AR with a 6.8 round could be worth a look (now if only there were some...).

Although, if they had laser rifles, enrolment in the armed forces would probably double overnight...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
BiscuitTrouser said:
Trivun said:
Ive had basic training with this modified version but never got the chance to fire it with live ammunition. It im a pretty good shot with the old bolt actions though, reminds me of the SA80 which i thought was our current gun no?
As far as I'm aware it's the L-98, but I only ever used it at school, which I left two years ago, so it might have changed since then. Haven't spoken to anyone still there in the CCF for a while so I don't know. Never used the SA80 myself, but the L-98 was what we always used on our own shooting range, plus when we did 'field days' training at nearby Army bases, we'd use them. I recall using laser ammo on the 'SAT' ranges (firing virtual rounds at a screen, like with light gun arcade games), and again it was the L-98 (modified to fire laser rounds rather than actual ammo).

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
The reason why the M-16 has been in service so long is because assault-rifle development has really hit a plateau since it was developed. Since then, although a lot of different things have been tried, such as bullpup configurations, the benefits these offer aren't significant enough for the US to totally re-equip its armed forces.

The truth is, the current generation of assault rifles are more than accurate, deadly and lightweight enough to carry out their job. The main challenge for designers is to make their weapons more reliable, which is why the British overhauled their L85s and why the Americans are looking at replacing their M4s for the HK416.

As things stand, anything short of a breakthrough in weapons technology is rather superfluous. That's why there have been so many failed attempts to produce a do-it-all infantry weapon (OICW as an example). It's possible that the future may lie in producing smaller weapons that retain the accuracy and firepower characteristics of assault rifles.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Dmatix said:
Well, the Israeli's are currently replacing the M16 with the TAR-21, or Tavor. The gun had showed to be more accurate and reliable then the M4 in field testing (Looks pretty badass too).
I was going to say this. Quality gun without being loaded up the arse with every piece of military tech known to man.

Besides why does the M16 need replacing? Bullets come out the end fairly accurately that hurt quite a lot... what more do you need? The M14 is still in use even. Why? Cos it is a good weapon.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
AWDMANOUT said:
By this... You mean the US military... right? You should be a bit more specific.

And well, I dunno. What about the XMB Battlefield has been so apparently crazy over?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/XM8-Poster.jpg
Project was canceled a while ago I think.
To the subject:
I believe the Scar-H (All the modules) Is in the process of advancing to a basic infantry rifle instead of a spec-ops weapon.
Sacman said:
The AK-47/74 duh...
MUCH less accurate and tends to break down often.
Yeah.... No.

Dmatix said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Tavor_TAR-21
Respond on Steam or die.
Oh and yeah , you're correct :) the Tavor is a good rifle.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
There never will be a replacement, until...... RAYGUNS!!!!

I kid, other nations will replace the M16 with something, (A Array of different Assault Rifles), but America?

Their main combat forces will always use M-16's, or variant(Eg, the M4 and H&K416)

There are simply so many M16's floating around America(and the world, unfortunately), that they will never be forgotten entirely. It's like the AK-47, but American.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
It should be replaced by the AK47. That would be cool. Seriously, I actually hope they do replace it, it has had it's time and there are much better guns around now.

WaffleCopters

Dec 13, 2009
the m16 was MEANT to be replaced by the ACR, but i dont have a clue what happened there. The whole premice was that the AK47s worked so much better, so the Americans needed a more effective weapon, which is why they created the ACR, a weapon that can be pulled apart and constructed with ease on the battlefield, and altered to fit the AK47 ammo.