Poll: School of Magic

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I'm gonna go with D&D schools and choose Evocation [http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Evocation_School]... I suppose with the schools you outlined, it could be considered a mix of destruction, telekinesis and elementalism.

**edit**
In case you're curious, the D&D schools of arcane magic [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons#Arcane_magic] are as follows:
-Abjuration: protective spells, mostly... but also counter-spells and such.
-Alteration: spells which change the properties of their targets, such as increasing a man's strength, allowing him to breathe water, or turning him into a rabbit. Also, turning stuff into other stuff.
-Conjuration: spells which summon/transport something, usually from another plane of existence.
-Divination: spells which acquire information, or determine the truth behind things.
-Enchantment: mind-affecting spells, mostly. Sleep, charm, that sort of thing.
-Evocation: Energy-based spells, essentially anything that creates something from nothing... whether that be an invisible hand or a bolt of lightning.
-Illusion: Sometimes mind-affecting, sometimes light-manipulating, sometimes making a solid form from light... in every case, it makes people see things that aren't (or at least weren't) there.
-Necromancy: any spell involving death or the manipulation of life-energy falls into this school, from raising skeletons to healing.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
One Hit Noob said:
Telekinesis to control whatever I want? Hell yes.
Nouw said:
Telekinesis.

It would make me a lazy asshole. And no, I'm not adding an 'ier' to lazy.
MikailCaboose said:
Telekinesis for this reason: It gives me the power to manipulate objects without physically handling them and enabling them to be used in whatever way I desire, and has the added bonus that I don't have to worry about middle-man minions. I prefer micromanaging. I have a problem with trusting others with little tidbits like that.
You're easy to please, I can tell you that.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Wait... Xavier up in this *****?, AND I can be a universal Magneto to?, well that's just not giving anybody else a chance is it?, I'LL BE UNSTOPPABLE. I'll be rich within the week, and rule the planet within a year!.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Restoration, because I'd feel guilty picking anything else.

On that note, it's just occurred to me that restoration focused characters are always presented as self-sacrificing goodies. The evil potential of restoration is definatinately going untapped.

What's that necromancer? You get to live forever as a lich? Oh, well I've just cured ageing.. let me know how that lich thing works out.

What's that noble hero, you've just found out you've got terminal cancer? Oh, that's terrible, but I can certainly help you out. Step into my office, we're just going to need to go over a few conditions first..

..and failing all that, I just invented magical surgery. I think it's time for your heart transplant!

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
I've always been a Telekinesis type gal, myself. It could do lots of damage (high velocity projectiles, throwing people across rooms, et cetera), but it could also be a slightly slower form of teleportation (just telekinesis yourself at high speeds, and then... boom. You're there. Quick and easy transportation).

TyranidXX

Feb 17, 2010
Although I'd prefer to train in several, I'll have to go with Destruction. On another note, what about the schools of magic that have you controlling a single type (Fire/Ice/Light/Dark/Etc.) but to a greater degree then Elementalism?

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
evilthecat said:
Restoration, because I'd feel guilty picking anything else.

On that note, it's just occurred to me that restoration focused characters are always presented as self-sacrificing goodies. The evil potential of restoration is definatinately going untapped.

What's that necromancer? You get to live forever as a lich? Oh, well I've just cured ageing.. let me know how that lich thing works out.

What's that noble hero, you've just found out you've got terminal cancer? Oh, that's terrible, but I can certainly help you out. Step into my office, we're just going to need to go over a few conditions first..

..and failing all that, I just invented magical surgery. I think it's time for your heart transplant!
Like modern medicine, everything has its price.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
One of the coolest styles of magic is INFERNOMANCY. In infernomancy the mage sells their soul to one of the many demon lords of hell (or a lower level minion if you are a weak mage) and you get powers related to that demon lord. So if you sold your soul to the demon lord of poison you can poison your enemies directly, poison their land or poison their mind. And you get general strength and speed boost. The demon lord in turn gets to use the mage's soul as a way to power their lower level minions (so if said low level demons are killed the mage gets hurt), use the mage for missions and to power their own spells. I think that if a mage gains more power they can sell their soul upwards to the next level of demons (so you sell your soul to a low level demon, and can then later sell it to the boss of the low level demon if the mage becomes more powerful).
So the end result is a bunch of mages running around fighting demon lords, low level demons and selling souls for power.
Sadly Dominic-Deegan.com (the only place where I have heard of this) decided to kill off that little bit of badass magic after the major story arc involving it. Though to be fair The Last Infernomancer still is present.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Elementalism- Simply because it grants me access to Fire, the universal problem solver.

Goldenkitten01

Aug 23, 2010
Illusion. I will take your cookies and your women while you have a conversation with what you believe to be a very intriguing talking rooster who promises to sell you opium.

Paularius

May 25, 2010
I'd go with restoration my self.

Also wouldnt Telekenises and Teleportation be more counted as spells instead of schools of magic. Otherwise we could have a school of fireballs aswell.

Going for some old school D&D schools of magic here.
School of:
Abjuration, Alteration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion and Necromancy.

Think you have about 2 - 3 of those in your list but by differnt names.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
I took telaportation. I love the idea of being a thief with a level of mage (telaport, back stab, loot, wash-rinse-repeat).

You forget transformations and summoning.