Poll: Sci-Fi vs. Fantasy,who wins?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I say sci-fi wins. They can just stay in orbit and bomb them, fantasy don't have any space flight. Fantasy have gods, but sci-fi has aliens.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Sci-Fi would win. It has Deathstars, space marines, Jedis (shit that might as well be cheating. It's fantasy magic in Sci-Fi.)

Fantasy on the other hand nevers plays the god card. It's always makes some farm boy/girl becomes the hero of the land. So fanasy has gods(never used) and mages all with differnt levels of power.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Alot of "sci-fi" basicly is fantasy, just with some added lasers, or phasers, or blasters.

I don't consider Star Wars science fiction at all.
Star Trek barely. ST the softest of soft sci-fi.

Hard sci-fi has only one advantage over fantasy and that's engagements happening beyond visual range.
An ICBM wouldn't be noticed by a wizard, because it's non-magical, it can come from anywhere and it's too fast to react to, when it gets close. Problem is that avatars could very well be non-corporeal or just immune to heat, radiation and pressure, because it's fantasy.

Apr 5, 2008
Random berk said:
A very well thought out post, which I can't really argue with because apart from the ground level stuff like orcs, zombies and Gandalf, I don't know all that much about fantasy. My question is, can these uber-powerful wizards and sorcerers still use their magic on targets that can attack from beyond a range that they can see (and come to think of it, they live in a time before space exploration, would they even think to attack the Death Star or the Reapers orbiting the planet, even if they were within range of a magic spell?)
Thank you :) In seriousness, both genres have their places for telling different stories and it's the skillful author that does so well, combining the expected genre tropes with unique and interesting stories, settings and characters.

In context, the characters I mentioned are among those that I know of with supreme powers, either for a brief time (eg. to defeat a great evil, then it's gone) or all the time. Gandalf for example, is much more than a man, almost divine. All the wizards on middle earth were such. Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, had he not destroyed his unique (sa')angreal could channel so much of the "Source" as to be a threat to the Dark One himself. Sparhawk with the Bhelliom and Garion with the Orb of Aldur each control more power than the Gods and the ability to reshape reality should they simply will it.

Feist's Pug and Donaldson's Thomas Covenant characters both start as simple men but grow into supremely powerful beings for whom armies and even the mightiest warriors are barely a nuisance. Cayal the Immortal Prince, one of the most interesting characters in fantasy is similarly all-powerful, and absolutely immortal (as his title suggests!). Richard Rahl for a brief moment (on opening the correct box of Orden) has the power to create and shape worlds and every living soul.

In Sci Fi terms, despite the planet destroyers and incredible technological marvels, the genre is by definition grounded in reality (even if not strictly Newtonian). As one would expect with either science or technology, the world and setting must remain (internally) consistent and plausible (such as Superman's abilities being the result of Earth's yellow Sun or Biotics/element zero in Mass Effect).

Both settings however lend themselves to great stories and adventures. I enjoy both the horse riding, swords and wayfarer inns of fantasy worlds and the FTL starships, alien species and space combat of sci fi, though the size of my fantasy book collection would indicate a favourite if pressed ;-) Which is lucky because as I described above, sci fi might win a battle, but fantasy would win the war!

PUR3_GAM3R33

May 23, 2009
SinorKirby said:
PUR3_GAM3R33 said:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs46/i/2010/168/7/a/Sci_Fi_vs__Fantasy_by_DanilLovesFood.jpg
1600x533? What kind of monitor are you using?
actually it came up in the search results and I clicked on it,I don't really know what the dimensions of my monitor is. X)

mb16 said:
PUR3_GAM3R33 said:
mb16 said:
oh noes! they have swords....

PEW PEW PEW

"Your foe is well equipped, well-trained, battle-hardened. He believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have the tanks on ours."
woah,that's cool,what game is that from?
eve online (although you will only get battles like that with high level "endgame" play)
I need to play that!

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
I'm thinking Warhammer and Magic the Gathering for some reason. Fantasy has Vampires, Zombies, Angels, Mythic Beasts, Elves, Zombies, Dragons, Gods, Demons, Spirits, Orcs, Trolls, Man-beasts, Wizards/Witches, and Knights.
Sci-fi has Aliens, Light Sabers, Death Stars, Lasers, Shrink-Rays, Space Ships, Robots, and Space Marines.

Someone should make a game about this!

Feb 7, 2009
Je Suis Ubermonkey said:
Fantasy has Magic, Gods, Gods, Goddesses, more Gods, Demigods and demigoddesses. Oh, and Gods. Did I mention all the Gods?

Sci-fi can't beat Gods.

L'edito: Damn ninjas. Maybe I should spend less time per post typing the word Gods.
I'm pretty sure that Warhammer 40,000 has a myriad of Gods at their disposal. Also, there's guns, nukes, and orbital lasers. Sorry, you cannot play your God card this turn.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Gods from Fantasy are generally under powered is the problem here, usually in order to allow a small band of mortals equipped with naught but magic powers and sharp implements to be of some use otherwise the plot would just be a ring match between 2 formless infinitely powerful beings which doesn't make for good writing/story/gameplay ect.

On the other hand Sci Fi has time travel, planetary destruction tools, Lovecraftien beings, organisms capable of callular alteration, nuclear weapons, plasma weapons, cloning ect ect. Unless you can think of a fantasy god capable of instant selective annihilation on all plains of existence then I think the guys who can bend space and time have this one.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
I call a draw on this one.
Both genres have their own super-poweful-things-of-doom, as well as their fighters and villains...

yman15

Jul 11, 2011
veratixx said:
yman15 said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
hittite said:
I beg to differ.

You were saying?
What do you have to say about that?
well, if you consider the blast to take away a good part of the earth, and not just the battlefield you're currently on:

Why would I go down to Earth and fight there when I can just blow up along with all my opposition. Space Australia is the better place to live anyways

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
Here is a question I am starting to have: How would you define Sci-fi or fantasy? I would say this is ultimately a perception issue because most of the arguments against fantasy have put it as what you might normally see in a medieval with magic rpg or story. Personally I have my own way of defining them (see my previous post) but I don't know the exact definition and am wondering exactly how much your perception of the issue is effected by your definition of the subjects. Anyone have any input?

Oct 30, 2010
Fantasy. Pick any story in which the universe is the creation of an active participant author. All it takes is an eraser and it's over.

Skrag The Summoner

Apr 20, 2011
Nautical Honors Society said:
You can have elements of sci-fi in a fantasy and still have it be fantasy, but you can't have elements of fantasy in sci-fi and still have it be sci-fi. So fantasy wins, although I love both.
tell that to WH40K