Poll: Sci-Fi vs. Fantasy,who wins?

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Sci fi. If there are enemy gods the sic fi forces might lose a lot of planets but eventually the sic fi guys would eventually build a countermeasure to destroy or lock them away.

I would like to read a book with both. Prehaps a nice fusion with cyborg orcs and machines that only wizards can power, acting as a battery.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
In my opinion, both win. Since I write Hardcore Sci-Fi Fantasy, I find that it is possibly
the best combination (If done correctly) of Hybrid Genre's.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Warhammer 40,000. Where are your gods now? We've taken their skulls for the skull throne, or maybe genetically mutated it. Maybe turned it into a robot!

Seriously though, the only things that separate the two genres are their explanations for everything. Magic, Science. Therefore, Warhammer 40,000 beats both ;) My inner-fanboy is pleased with this thread!
hittite said:
I love your post man. I really do. If there was a thread for hilarious/best posts, I would put that in.

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
My vote's sci-fi. Way more potential for large scale destruction. Fantasy Gods tend to wipe civilizations out, sci-fi tends to wipe whole planets/star systems out. Also, the gods might get kinda weak if no one worships them if you Alpha-strike the whole planet with the Death Star. Just pop out of Hyperspace, acquire targeting data, and BOOM!, no more planet. Rinse Repeat until finished.

Didn't the original Starship Troopers books have a bunch of guys with jetpacks with nuclear missile launchers? I don't see how a bunch of guys with swords could really stand up to that. Try casting magic while being incinerated by dozens of nukes, it's not going to happen. Huge armies? Not a problem. Gigantic monsters? Eat a nuke. Oh, you survived? Have another 6.

No matter who wins the overall war, The Gods of Chaos win.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
hittite said:
Fool! There's no limit to the power of SCIENCE!

[HEADING=1]Ahaahahhaahahahahahahahhahahaha![/HEADING]
This. Oh so much this.

You win the thread good sir ;3

Anyways, I think this entire topic can be summed up with one picture:

Fantasy has Giants, Sci Fi has Mechs. Fantasy has Dragons, Sci Fi has Spaceships. Fantasy has Magic, we have Forbidden/Dangerous/Unstable/Plebotinum based Technology. The odds are fairly even.

deus-ex-machina

Jan 22, 2010
I figure Sci-Fi will trounce this, but I'm personally a much bigger fan of fantasy. In some ways, I like Sci-Fi because everything that is imagined is usually based on some form of existing science be it hypotheses or advancement of current technology and things that appeared improbable 100 years ago now exist. In the future, it could come true and that freakin' rocks.

But I like the idea of magic, spirits, demons etc. I love movies/books that combine sci-fi and fantasy, but I doubt I'll ever be able to summon a sword and magically blast slow walking people out of my way.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Mike Richards said:
Sci-fi has the Doctor, basically end of story.

Never bet against the Time Lord.
This.

The Doctor has the TARDIS, so he can go back in time and change things to go in the battle's favor. Plus he had the sonic screwdriver which can pretty much do anything, let's hope he upgrades the thing so it will work on wood.

But since even the Doctor Who villains and monsters would be able to fight on Sci-Fi's side, do a controlled release of Vashta Narada in the Fantasy controlled zones, no organic beings would be left alive.

And for the things that The Doctor would deem objectionable, The Master would take those jobs.

Nautical Honors Society said:
You can have elements of sci-fi in a fantasy and still have it be fantasy, but you can't have elements of fantasy in sci-fi and still have it be sci-fi. So fantasy wins, although I love both.
That's not true. There is plenty of sci-fi with fantasy in it, but you would never see people looking for it in the fantasy section for it. Because if a story has a sci-fi base, it will always be considered sci-fi. Nit picky purists are the only ones that would think such things.

But pretty much all sci-fi has fantasy in it: Any sci-fi that takes place on some unknown world or in some point in the future, has fantasy in it. The sci-fi writer fantasies what that unknown world is going to be like, or what new and different technologies might be in said future, fantasizing if there are any new lifeforms. Fantasizing takes imagination, a lot of imagination goes into lifeforms and new technologies in sci-fi.

Your interpretation on how the two mix is wrong, because it would go both ways, fantasy couldn't be fantasy if it has sci-fi in it. It is a stalemate, we have to determine if a story has more fantasy or more sci-fi, and then the one it has the most of is the side it goes on.

Still, no way fantasy can win.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Nicholas Woodruff said:
OT: Also, what about Sci-fantasy?
Whatever the story has the most of, is the side it goes on. Or really, whatever the popular consensus is on what the story has the most of, then it is determined what side it goes on.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
A race to see which Deus Ex Machina wins.

I'd go for fantasy though. Sci-fi is always bound in some kind of scientific rules. Fantasy has magic though.

Magic!

That said they can get so blurred. I mean pseudo-science in Stargate allowed for time travel, creating a parrel universe to hide in, travelling to parallel universes, pretty much instant teleportation,and the exitance of higher plane of existance.

I'd still go for Fantasy though.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
PUR3_GAM3R33 said:
Ok,so I was looking around Google images for epic battle wallpapers and I came across this:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs46/i/2010/168/7/a/Sci_Fi_vs__Fantasy_by_DanilLovesFood.jpg

and that got me thinking what if the forces of Sci-Fi fought the the forces of Fantasy,I'm interested to see peoples opinions on this.
Well don't like reading either all the much, though I tend to lean towards reading Fantasy.

But in general (games, comics, tv, film) I prefer my Sci fi.

Also Lasers beat swords any day.

Note: test this out playing Warhammer Fantasy VS 40 000.... will that work?

longboardfan

Jul 27, 2011
Both lose:

Both have been infected with Romance, creating weird hybrid hard to categorize genres like Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, and this really weird Sci-Fi genre that doesn't really have a name yet; where the female protagonists are tough and hard and gritty, but yet swoon over every male character. Both genre's have become almost unreadable as of late, and I have to really research each new series I want to read before I buy. You can blame the twilight fans for this nonsense. Publishers cater to the audience, and right now the money is in fap material for the ladies. wake me up in a few years.

Unfortunately, the author of "Dirty Sexy Books" got tired of all the hate mail and quit her blog. A shame really, as her must buy lists were a great resource of books to avoid at all costs.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
If it is high-magic fantasy vs highly advanced sci-fi, it will probably be a tie as they can utterly destroy the universe. If the fantasy universe has a truely ominpotent God it might win, but most fantasy universes put some limits on the Gods just to get the story moving (why would the Gods need a human chosen one if they can snap their fingers and get things done that way?)

If we get to low-magic fantasy vs realistic, near future sci-fi though, sci-fi wins obviously. So that's my vote.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Well, fantasy can pretty much call the God card depending on the setting, so they would clearly win.
I see you don't read much Sci-Fi...

Sci-Fi doesn't exclude calling he God card, regardless on whether it is shown under the pretense of "future science" or it is still just magic.

Since sci-fi is THE FUTURE, I think it must win.

RemuValtrez

Sep 14, 2011
Fantasy would win in my opinion. Anything can be pulled out of that damn magical hat! Aside from that, sci-Fi is sort of a break off of fantasy anyways if you look at how unreal it is. Well, was. Sci-Fi is coming true more and more every day with new inventions.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
hmm... they are the same thing really! sufficiently advanced science is magic to those who don't understand it. people might say anything could be pulled from the magical hat, but sci-fi could produce any 'technology' imaginable as well!