Poll: sega's new console

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
Snotnarok said:
Nintendo bought Sega? In your dreams, they wouldn't be making games for Microsoft and Sony then now would they?

Actually guys Sega HAS been making new hardware, apparently a new Sega Genesis/Mega Drive is/coming out and they have a MP4 player, nothing state of the art but still it's something.
Can I have a source? Especially since the op says they denied it.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
SEGA are long past the good times in the 90s. The Dream Cast was a beautiful console, but was mostly made by Microsoft, which allowed them to make the original xbox and enter the now vacant place in the market. MSFT developed SEGA NET, which basically became a beta xbox live, look at the controller designs as well. See any similarities?

Right now we have Nintendo, MSFT and SONY in the console wars, with Apple slowly attacking the hand-held market. The industry does not need a fourth console, just like it did not last gen.

lostclause said:
There is a new Megadrive (Genesis) on the market. You can get it from GAME and amazon/play.com. It is one of those plug and play machines, yet it can also play old Megadrive cartridges. I got one since my old Megadrive is no longer working.

However, about making a next gen console? I think SEGA aren't that stupid.

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
i'd like to see a new sega console, providing they had some variety with the games. i liked the dreamcast, possibly one of the only people that did, and it would be good to see what they could do if they did decide to make something new. but if it's not being produced yet and it's supposed to be coming out in 2010, i wouldn't hold your breath, cos that ain't gonna happen!

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
we have enough systems out there there is one system wii don't need or is it ps3 or 360? ... no more consoles please

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I would love Sega to make a new console, however they've stated many times they are not in a position to make hardware anymore.

They've moved completely out of the hardware market.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
No, Sega has failed at the console game, and they're not doing so well at the software game lately either. I think they're loosing their touch. But then I say that about a lot of developers these days.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
It'd be cool if they did make a new console, like a second Dreamcast, but... well, I doubt they'd get very far, compared too Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Xyphon said:
Hey, as long as they give us a new Jet Set Radio game, I'm all for it.

Edit:
DeadlyGlitch said:
is sega the one that made the ps3 and genesis?
uh.... Sony made the PS3 and Sega made the Genesis.
I thought Peter Gabriel made Genesis.

BA-DUM-TISH

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
no they shouldn't make new console unless they agree not to make any sonic games for it

Grayl

Jun 9, 2009
We've got enough games being dumbed down for consoles, so we have enough consoles. Let SEGA carry on doing what they're doing at the moment... whatever that is.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
lostclause said:
Snotnarok said:
Nintendo bought Sega? In your dreams, they wouldn't be making games for Microsoft and Sony then now would they?

Actually guys Sega HAS been making new hardware, apparently a new Sega Genesis/Mega Drive is/coming out and they have a MP4 player, nothing state of the art but still it's something.
It's not hard to find, google it, there's actually been 2 Sega brand Genesis/Mega Drives recently, one I recall having wireless controllers, the biggest news would be a good Sega Nomad (portable sega) that doesn't drain your batteries before you put them in.

Edit: Actually there's a 3rd Genesis console, it's available/or will be in Brazil with (I think) 139 built in games and no cart slot. I recall reading this just 3 days ago for a good laugh, but there was a photo and all. I'm not surprised as south america held the Master System popular for well into segas life and the Genesis lasted untill 2002 with official releases.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Real Gonzo said:
None of the next-gen consoles appeal to me at all, so yes by all means.
I have a lot of friends who feel the same way and really I can't blame them.
Right now the three choices aren't that great.
On top of them all being really expensive:
You got one that doesn't really have the graphical power for the next gen games.
You got another that has a fee for online and notoriously bad hardware issues.
And the third is extra expensive and wont play the great back catalogue of it's previous console.

I went with extra expensive because it was the best choice for me but Sega wouldn't have to try too hard to trump all three. The Dreamcast was great (the first console with online), I think they should go for it.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
What is wrong with the idea of Sega making a new console is their very, very tarnished reputation with the world in general. After all their disasters in the market topped off by the crash and burn of Dreamcast Sega just has a horrible reputation.

zestamaster

Apr 3, 2009
well i would be happy if Sega made a new console but we would go full swing back to 83' (the video game crash) and start all over