Poll: Service Rifles

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
Tyburn Cross said:
As for "Best" service rifle though, I would have to opt-in the AK series. Not because it is particularly accurate, but because its reliability, power, and affordability make it more cost effective to give to the average soldier.
That RK (basicly rip-off from AK) of ours is quite accurate. Well I don't have that much experience of that many rifles but I like accuracy in shooting. How much more accurate is AUG or M4 compared to AK? All I am saying that usually it is about the shooter and how familiar the gun is to the shooter. Usually rifles are made quite accurate. Well that is usually somewhat the point of having/making rifles ;-)

blackbobcat

Jan 11, 2008
Scolar Visari said:
Has anyone actually fired these or are we just going off of videogames, youtube and aesthetics?

I've had the chance to shoot all of those listed except for any L85 variant or any Tavor variant.

They all have their ups and downs, and it really is more based on the user. I trust myself more with an M16 or any other rifle patterned after it, but I would have no real objections with being issued any of the other rifles.
yeah we use the Styer in the NZDF and its pretty robust... scope is good magnification for both short and long engagements and reasonably light and less bulky compared to some of these others.... so yeah that 1

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
You could've added a bit more variety to the poll, those guns are all more or less based of the AR-15/18 action, except for perhaps the AUG and Tavor. They all also fire the same round.
SpecklePattern said:
Tyburn Cross said:
As for "Best" service rifle though, I would have to opt-in the AK series. Not because it is particularly accurate, but because its reliability, power, and affordability make it more cost effective to give to the average soldier.
That RK (basicly rip-off from AK) of ours is quite accurate. Well I don't have that much experience of that many rifles but I like accuracy in shooting. How much more accurate is AUG or M4 compared to AK? All I am saying that usually it is about the shooter and how familiar the gun is to the shooter. Usually rifles are made quite accurate. Well that is usually somewhat the point of having/making rifles ;-)
Well I wouldn't say rip-off of the AK, it's more like an upgrade.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
My knowledge of guns comes only from games.
But I like the L85, and wish there were more games that had it.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
The M-4 is not the US's main service rifle, thats the M-16, and the HK-416 is not Germany's service rifle, Germany uses the G-36. Though the HK-416 is used by the Norwegians and the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force. But anyway I like the HK-416 the best since it is pretty much a M-16 with near AK-47 durability.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
AK-47, reliable, durable, easy to field strip and clean, damn near impossible to break.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
You know I went straight to the UK rifle, I mean now it's fixed it actually is one of the best rifles around (again, now it's fixed) but really I just picked my own countries gun. I'm betting thats what about 70% of people on this poll are going to do also, just like your tank one :D

Still, the SA80 A2 (A2 means fixed in gun talk I assume) is a very good weapon and the horror stories you hear are either from the original gun still circulating or just plain idiots.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I've only fired the Steyr myself (the F-88 Austeyr version that is) and I'm quite fond of it.

Killerscape

Jul 25, 2010
Now i know that most of you have actually fired these guns and everyone has their own opinion. But when uses gamer experience to judge guns then its the same as saying that there is no bullet drop and etc. from these listed up there, the two best are the TAR and the G36 for a person like me. Not speaking of gamer experience because if i was i would say the AK and the M4.

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
Didn't the HK416 come into being because the M4 is too unreliable in the desert? Problem with these polls is that people will naturally vote for things they are familiar with, rather than thinking through the merits of each one.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Crap, I didnt see the HK416 was up there in the poll already...

*Edit*

hey? wheres Russias service rifle? They use a member of the AK family still, dont they?

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Furburt said:
My favourite of all those is the Steyr AUG. I've fired one. Very light, but very accurate.

I imagine the G36 is probably better, but I haven't tried that one yet.

I'm also partial to the Armalite AR-18, an American gun.

You'll be glad to know the G-36 is basically a more expensive AR-18.