Poll: Sexual Assault

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I'm a straight guy and I have never had any unwarranted (or warranted for that matter XD) sexual advances toward me. That being said, I have seen girls being cat-called and the like quite often. I personally find the practice disgusting and disrespectful. I have a very low opinion of guys who do such things. It is like they lack the mental capacity to keep control of their most basic primal instincts. Either that or they are narcissistic assholes who assume that they are God's gift to women and therefore girls better pay attention to them. I have never seen any physical harassment though, but I also don't go out to bars, clubs, parties or anything else like that very often.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
I honestly don't have a clear answer on this, because I don't know if I felt that I was threatened specifically because of my gender, really.
Of course I've been nervous about walking around alone at night with a bunch of strangers around me, but I'd say that it's mostly due to the intense fear mongering that has been tossed at me throughout my life, and because I don't really like people. Like every wannabe badass I do imagine myself beating the living sh*t out of any f*cker who would actually dare to try and rob or assault me, but I'm rather tiny, about 164 cm and 48-50-ish kilos, so I probably couldn't punch all of their teeth out. Maybe just like ten or so, but I haven't been in a situation where I had to defend myself from either stranger or people I know, so maybe I would.

Getting back on topic, no, I wouldn't say I ever felt genuinely threatened or anything solely because of my gender, or really at all. I know people who've been through some shit, both male and female, and maybe I'm just lucky to've not experienced it.
But I honestly don't see the point to fear mongering the risks of having a certain set of genitals, there will always be lunatics out there who do insane, horrible acts, and there really isn't a lot we can do to prevent them from doing it. What we can do is focus on supporting anyone who's been/is being abused, regardless of their private parts, without being mocking or not taking them seriously. That's not to say that we shouldn't do our best to prevent assault to happen in the first place, but I don't think persecuting people who may or may not do horrid things should have the higher priority over helping the people who've already been through said horrid things, if that makes any sense.

ArcadianDrew

Sep 3, 2014
Rellik San said:
That said, it's up to you to judge me, there's a certain way myself and my friends interact, in that we're the classic abusive friends "Oi knob jockey, you getting the pints in you wanker?" "Sure thing shit for brains, you want another one of those you wank stain?" y'know that kind of thing, which also goes into how myself and some of my female friends interact: "Rellik, you're a fucking bastard at times." "Yeah but you love me really ***** tits," "that I do cunty chops," that kind of thing. So I'm curious, how do others judge those kinds of interaction in the context of a friendship, are they institutionalised harassment or just friends dicking about with each other?
Oh, don't worry about it, me and my friends are exactly the same way. Have been since early high-school. It got to the point where you knew one of your friends was pissed off with you because they wouldn't call you 'dickhead' or 'wanker' etc. when we greeted each other in the morning.

OT: Male here and have only once been inappropriately touched by someone. Was in a nightclub on the dance floor talking with friends when this woman (she was about my age) kept smacking me on the ass. I just found it really annoying to be honest, as in; 'just leave my personal space and go back to dancing with your friends' kinda thing. I just ignored her and eventually she got bored and left that part of the dance floor.