Poll: Should Call of Duty Stop?

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Special Kiz said:
LawlessSquirrel said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
That said, Activision is characteristically more motivated by the idea of highest-sales-ever kind of games than great games.
It's almost like a business is primarily concerned about the money it makes!!!
I know, crazy right!?

In all seriousness, of course they need to be concerned with money, but there's got to a balance between the concern for money and the concern for quality. Judging purely from their less-than-impressive PR and inflated sales costs, it seems they're stuck a little too far on the financial side.

Atari did it too, albeit much worse, and killed the games industry for it. Getting a little off-topic here, but if any company is going to follow in Atari's footsteps, it's looking like it'll be Activision. It's not even close yet, but it's the closest so far.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Yes, or at least pause unless Infinity Ward can be reassembled. They at least knew what the fuck they were doing. If I'm going to pay for a new campaign built on the same exact game I bought last year, it had better be by the people who know how to do it.

I loved CoD 4 and MW2s campaigns because they were fun, interesting, over the top, and most notably mixed gameplay seamlessly with cinema. The gameplay was just sort of the catalyst by which they engaged you in the story. It was something very easy to work with; safe, bland, and competent. In other words, it wasn't what I credit them for.

Black ops was blatantly the result of a team of people trying to hastily copy the formula without everyone fully understanding it and kick another game out the door as soon as possible. Almost every time a "cinematic" moment comes up, the scripted occurrences awkwardly disrupt the game. All they could do to try and make the plot interesting was to throw in some lame psychological sci-fi element to the story which ultimately fell flat.

The multiplayer I've never really liked, but the average gameplay in conjunction with the skinner box mentality was at least enough for me to make it to the max level in the last two, but even with all my friends constantly wanting me to play black ops with them, I'm only at level 46 or something and have no urge to get to 50 whatsoever.

CoD isn't going anywhere. It'll be just like madden; constantly pumping out cash-in sequels until inevitably it'll stop being special but still profitable enough to linger in bland existence. If I see Infinity Ward's "Modern Warfare 3," I'll buy it. Otherwise I'll keep my money.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Too bad its not getting worse and worse each year, but thats all right. Though I some what agree they should stop for now. Give it a couple of years or so and then come back. Focus on other projects in the meanwhile. Not going to happen with this fantastic lawsuit thats going on and the fact that everyone, including me, will still buy them.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
I'd say that they could make a multiplayer only game for new consoles. so when we get Xbox 720 or PS4 then they'll release a new multiplayer only game to keep people up to date with specs and tweaks to stuff like the perks and guns

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Nazulu said:
PhunkyPhazon said:
Or you could just, you know, not play it. It sounds to me like a ton of people like these games, so why the hell should they stop being made?

This is kind of a general response, btw. I haven't played CoD since the second game. I just hate it when people think a franchise should stop just because they don't like it. No one is forcing anyone to play anything.
So you hate when people think a franchise should just stop and I hate it when people say other people should just stop. It's just an opinion you know since we're pointing out the obvious, it's not like the franchise is just going to die because of one thread, or even 100.

They gave their reasons and they believe it's going nowhere, what the hell is wrong with that?

OT: I don't believe they should stop but I reckon they could try and make something else in-between games. It seems they release a new COD every year, how about they make a slightly bigger COD that can last for 3 years and try and be creative for once, they seem to have the money.
I just find this sort of attitude extremely whiny, arrogant, and unnecessary. There's a difference between just criticizing a franchise, constructive or otherwise, and saying "I don't like it so therefore it shouldn't exist." Especially when no one is forcing anyone to play a game they don't like. If you don't like something, just don't play it.

Besides, when you're talking about ending an entire franchise that you think has lost its way, you're pretty much saying you don't ever want to see the mere possibility that there could actually be another great game in the franchise. Hell, people were saying for years that they should end Sonic despite that the series was doing fine on handhelds and, yes, we finally got another great console game in the form of Sonic Colors. (Ignore the avatar by the way, I always feel like a fanboy whenever I'm discussing something that relates to my avatar <_< ) Or how about Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light? Tons of people were wanting Tomb Raider to end for years, and now the latest entry in the series has recieved massive critical acclaim. So not only do I think this philosophy is greatly flawed, I think it's actually been proven wrong time and time again.

Not to mention, as marblemadness said in his response, it just seems petty.

Special Kiz

Sep 23, 2009
LawlessSquirrel said:
In all seriousness, of course they need to be concerned with money, but there's got to a balance between the concern for money and the concern for quality. Judging purely from their less-than-impressive PR and inflated sales costs, it seems they're stuck a little too far on the financial side.
This I can agree with. but the problem is that it is hard to be objective about what a 'quality product' is, since any review of a game I make is based on my subjective opinion about it, and I can complain 'til the cows come home that the mass market are buying CoD and Halo at the expense of better niche titles, and it wouldn't change a thing (similarly with music and film where the most popular titles rarely get great reviews and titles that get great reviews rarely sell well). The fact remains that if Activision released a CoD that really sucked, Activision would either make a loss or lose customers, so the pressure is never really off them.

Even people who hate CoD can be happy in the hope that the vast amounts of profit Activision make on the CoD franchise means it will take greater chances on smaller titles... we can all dream.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
I don't think that Black Ops is as popular as MW2 was, and I'm sure that fairly soon people will stop playing it. If Infinity Ward releases a new games this year, though, it will probably still sell very well.

I would like to think that they are going to stop, but they probably aren't, they make a lot of money.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
WanderingFool said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I think that it should take a break. 3 years sounds right. To give people enough time to miss it.

Reinvent itself, like it did with 4.

4's multiplayer was a revolution, even if the core gunplay was barely different from 2.

It's time for the next step.
God... there are a number of series and franchises that could benefit from this approach.
Final Fantasy anyone? ;)

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Yes, we could all do with a break from the CoD elitists and screaming 10 year olds.

Honestly though yes, maybe the game could actually be good if they took their time instead of rushing for a new CoD each year, and Treyarch need to make it. (Unless IW make another CoD 4)

I love Black Ops, but Modern Warfare 2 not so much.
But then again, there is Modern Warfare 1.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
It seems to me that no matter how much the hardcore crowd bitches about the declining quality of the series, its going to keep rolling along regardless of what is said. First of all, if these games keep selling at the rate they are, I can guarantee you that Activision won't stop to re-tool what, in their eyes, isn't broken. As surely broken as it is (I kind of count myself as an expert on broken series, seeing as I spent my childhood watching the Army Men franchise glide slowly into a tar pit of mediocrity), complaining about how you won't play MW2 or BO isn't going to change anything. For every one of you who dedicates themselves to never playing another CoD game, about five 13 year old kids who have never played a good game in their lives enter their market with their parents' 60 bucks aimed squarely at the newest FPS dreck. As long as Activison has a consistently developing market, they will be content with hanging the old one out to dry. So please, stop wasting your breath and hurt them where it really counts: just don't buy the game, no matter how tempting. Don't complain about it, because IGN will just write an article about the new 'controversial' CoD game and more people will join its ranks of noob tubing, f**-calling, drooling morons who can all by the way take that Gamestop store credit and GO BUY A REAL GAME.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I think that it should take a break. 3 years sounds right. To give people enough time to miss it.

Reinvent itself, like it did with 4.

4's multiplayer was a revolution, even if the core gunplay was barely different from 2.

It's time for the next step.
yeah, I reckon you've got the right idea there.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Just like what Extra Credits said about Sonic recently, it needs to go away for a bit so people can actually miss it. That, plus within say a three year absence, both Treyarch and Sledgehammer can probably write and develop something pretty good.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
CoD should come with MP ONLY. at-least for a while. Face it, CoD just has no more stories to tell. They're repackaging the same garbage year after year (I know you stopped the Eeviel Russians from attacking America before.....but this time...we added ONE twist that has totally never been done before; SO it's completely different :3) and for what? People will buy the same game for multiplayer every year anyway; so if you must spin garbage into gold, you might as well decrease costs and increase the profit? you like profit right Kotick?

But then again, I say this whilst subscribing to the belief that Game development companies, being artists, and not craftsmen, should not make new SP games unless they have an interesting story to tell. Writers don't write books JUST because the sell well (Except Dan Brown, but look where THAT got him); they write books when they have a new story that they want to tell. Just like that.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
PhunkyPhazon said:
Nazulu said:
PhunkyPhazon said:
Or you could just, you know, not play it. It sounds to me like a ton of people like these games, so why the hell should they stop being made?

This is kind of a general response, btw. I haven't played CoD since the second game. I just hate it when people think a franchise should stop just because they don't like it. No one is forcing anyone to play anything.
So you hate when people think a franchise should just stop and I hate it when people say other people should just stop. It's just an opinion you know since we're pointing out the obvious, it's not like the franchise is just going to die because of one thread, or even 100.

They gave their reasons and they believe it's going nowhere, what the hell is wrong with that?

OT: I don't believe they should stop but I reckon they could try and make something else in-between games. It seems they release a new COD every year, how about they make a slightly bigger COD that can last for 3 years and try and be creative for once, they seem to have the money.
I just find this sort of attitude extremely whiny, arrogant, and unnecessary. There's a difference between just criticizing a franchise, constructive or otherwise, and saying "I don't like it so therefore it shouldn't exist." Especially when no one is forcing anyone to play a game they don't like. If you don't like something, just don't play it.

Besides, when you're talking about ending an entire franchise that you think has lost its way, you're pretty much saying you don't ever want to see the mere possibility that there could actually be another great game in the franchise. Hell, people were saying for years that they should end Sonic despite that the series was doing fine on handhelds and, yes, we finally got another great console game in the form of Sonic Colors. (Ignore the avatar by the way, I always feel like a fanboy whenever I'm discussing something that relates to my avatar <_< ) Or how about Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light? Tons of people were wanting Tomb Raider to end for years, and now the latest entry in the series has recieved massive critical acclaim. So not only do I think this philosophy is greatly flawed, I think it's actually been proven wrong time and time again.

Not to mention, as marblemadness said in his response, it just seems petty.
I agree, I don't think a franchise should end either. It's like artists writing new albums, sometimes they write poor material and sometimes they can have a big come back, you just never know. However, I have to say Treyarch could try something different every couple of years instead being a one trick pony, I still believe Sonic should be passed onto another developer and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is not really a good example, it's completely different to the other games, a refreshing change I would say.

As for people wanting a franchise to end, extremely whiny, arrogant and unnecessary is an overstatement. I know a lot of the time you don't see someone actually writing a well thought out argument for this topic but they do make good points sometimes. That said, saying "just don't play it" is not an argument at all. It's like if I told you "just ignore the thread", it's useless because you want to speak up and say whats on your mind.

The OP didn't make any good arguments, he didn't even give us some evidence of it going down hill. However, most people in this thread seem to agree, probably not to stop but to change or wait. Therefore it's not useless, we've gotten some real discussion out of this thread now and it's interesting. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it should be untouchable, there is always room for improvement.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Yes, it should stop, before Activision ramps up its release schedule and pull a Guitar Hero on it.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Special Kiz said:
Even people who hate CoD can be happy in the hope that the vast amounts of profit Activision make on the CoD franchise means it will take greater chances on smaller titles... we can all dream.
Ahh, that would be the best of both worlds, wouldn't it? Big franchises can keep sending out their frequent sequels, but the money goes towards funding new ideas. Shame the trend seems to be that the more money a series is worth, the less likely the publisher will be to take chances.

But hey, that's what the indies are for.