Poll: Should feminists be involved with anime mediums?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Sung-Hwan said:
Queen Michael said:
Sung-Hwan said:
Eventually, I could not just sit idle and came out of nowhere and savagely insulted this person with the worst insults imaginable. Despite this, I am satisfied with telling this person off and reflecting on how feminists are ruining everything.

How do you feel about this? Was I in the wrong? I feel I did a great thing and it compelled to pose this question to others.
You know, I just now realized that you never deny that there is sexism in anime. So in other words, she said there was sexism in an anime. You don't deny that there indeed is sexism in it. Because she said this thing that you agree is correct, you called her the worst things you could come up with.

You call this "doing a great thing."

How am I supposed to respond to you when you consider it a "great thing" to hurl insults at somebody instead of doing some actual debating?

Furthermore, being able to analyze the gender roles in an anime instead of just looking at the hot girls and going "Yay, boobs!" isn't shallow. It's the complete opposite of shallow.

And you know what's funny? People complain about the Fight Against Sexism ruining their anime/manga/games/granola, but I've never heard anybody say "The reason I dislike this anime is because it's not being sexist."
"Furthermore, being able to analyze the gender roles in an anime instead of just looking at the hot girls and going "Yay, boobs!" isn't shallow. It's the complete opposite of shallow."

This quote proves to me you have no major involvement with the medium, in any shape or form, and are just tagging along to oppose me. I do not want any business with someone who does not know much of what I am trying to get at, sorry. No hard feelings, but I am not kidding around with this topic.
...Did you read the text right under my username? The part where I make it clear I've read 3,503 manga books?

Sung-Hwan

Dec 13, 2014
I could easily make a similar lie and claim myself to have seen 1000 anime or more, with immense, veteran experience with every other medium I am involved with, but that would be pointless. It's fairly simple to see through your deception because no one who has even read 500 manga, would ever claim every anime has no substance, and is all about pandering. It sickens me, and there's no point in trying to reason with you by proving your claims otherwise, because people do not change so easily.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Sung-Hwan said:
It's fairly simple to see through your deception because no one who has even read 500 manga, would ever claim every anime has no substance, and is all about pandering.
And where am I supposed to have said this?`

Also, you need to use the quote function to make it clear who you're referring to.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Sung-Hwan said:
I could easily make a similar lie and claim myself to have seen 1000 anime or more, with strong involvement with every other medium I am involved with, but that would be pointless. It's fairly simple to see through your deception because no one who has even read 500 manga, would ever claim every anime has no substance, and is all about pandering. It sickens me, and there's no point in trying to reason with you by proving your claims otherwise, because people do not change.
Except you're wrong. Queen Michael has been a part of this board for years and has made multiple threads about the books he's going through and regularly updates his sig whenever he finishes a new one. I'd take his opinion on anything manga/anime related over yours any day.

Lose the elitist attitude. You're out of your depth here.

Sung-Hwan

Dec 13, 2014
Queen Michael said:
Sung-Hwan said:
It's fairly simple to see through your deception because no one who has even read 500 manga, would ever claim every anime has no substance, and is all about pandering.

Also, you need to use the quote function to make it clear who you're referring to.
"looking at the hot girls and going "Yay, boobs!" isn't shallow."

I strongly get the assumption you are basing your views off of /a/. A big no no, but given the size of that community, I won't blame you. And really, I won't stress over trying to convince you that every anime is not like Infinite Stratos, but you could look at my favorite shows/people of interest to hopefully see things a bit differently.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Arcana-XII

Last thing I'll say to you with no hard feelings.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Sung-Hwan said:
Queen Michael said:
Sung-Hwan said:

"looking at the hot girls and going "Yay, boobs!" isn't shallow."

I strongly get the assumption you are basing your views off of /a/. A big no no, but given the size of that community, I won't blame you.
Sug-Hwan, you need to get a few things straight.

1. Unless you gice us a clear definition of what you mean by "feminist," I and probably many others will get the impression that in your opinion, only the most rabid extremists count as "true feminists." Not saying you believe that, just saying that that's the impression you give.

2. It's a bit weird to say that you saw an analysis of the Fate/UBW aime from a feminist perspective, and responded by hurling insults at the woman who wrote it, and then you say you can't take me seriously because I used the wrong phrasing when I pointed out that analyzing things from a gender perspective isn't shallow. According to your standards of debate, it was right of the feminist not to take you seriously.

3. Of course it's silly to discard anime and VN as a whole as "sexist trash" or variations thereof, but I've found that most people who I hear complaining about sexism in anime and manga are big fans. For instance, my best friend used to be a huge Naruto fan, but she still acknowledged that there was a fair amount of sexism in the series. They do like the stuff, but they can acknowledge problems with it.

4. I've spent altogether 15 minutes of my life -- at most -- on /a/.

5. In my opnion, manga, anime and VN are media that at their best are of just as great cultural value as literature, live-action movies, paintings and poetry.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
I don't post here often but it's not hard to see from reading a few posts from Queen Michael and I believe I also recall seeing a picture of a massive collection of manga, that he isn't "being deceptive".

I don't know what this person said to offend you so but to respond with insults doesn't particularly seem "mature and patient". If you can't keep a calm manner with this sort of subject you'd do better to avoid discussing it.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Sung-Hwan said:
Queen Michael said:
Sung-Hwan said:
Eventually, I could not just sit idle and came out of nowhere and savagely insulted this person with the worst insults imaginable. Despite this, I am satisfied with telling this person off and reflecting on how feminists are ruining everything.

How do you feel about this? Was I in the wrong? I feel I did a great thing and it compelled to pose this question to others.
You know, I just now realized that you never deny that there is sexism in anime. So in other words, she said there was sexism in an anime. You don't deny that there indeed is sexism in it. Because she said this thing that you agree is correct, you called her the worst things you could come up with.

You call this "doing a great thing."

How am I supposed to respond to you when you consider it a "great thing" to hurl insults at somebody instead of doing some actual debating?

Furthermore, being able to analyze the gender roles in an anime instead of just looking at the hot girls and going "Yay, boobs!" isn't shallow. It's the complete opposite of shallow.

And you know what's funny? People complain about the Fight Against Sexism ruining their anime/manga/games/granola, but I've never heard anybody say "The reason I dislike this anime is because it's not being sexist."
"Furthermore, being able to analyze the gender roles in an anime instead of just looking at the hot girls and going "Yay, boobs!" isn't shallow. It's the complete opposite of shallow."

This quote proves to me you have no major involvement with the medium, in any shape or form, and are just tagging along to oppose me. I do not want any business with someone who does not know much of what I am trying to get at, sorry. No hard feelings, but I am not kidding around with this topic.
...Did you read the text right under my username? The part where I make it clear I've read 3,503 manga books?
God Damn Queen I think You need an Intervention :).

OT:Yeah you were wrong and furthermore you lost the debate with that person when you lost your cool. By acting like a maniac and getting yourself banned you not only made her look the better of you two, but you destroyed any future attempt at debating with her.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Sung-Hwan said:
Rabbitboy said:
Maybe I just have to accept the fact that I am open-minded, mature, and patient enough to see any medium or genre for what it is worth.
That should be normal I find it strange that this something about yourself that you have to accept.
Most people are not like me, and I should probably not involve myself in the business of Western propaganda.
Hold on I thought we were talking about feminism.
It's a difficult road, but I am trying.
Do you have some issues? If so I do wish you the best in dealing with them.

Sung-Hwan

Dec 13, 2014
@Queen Michael

I see all feminists as extremists. Given the way they act, it's hard not to come to such a conclusion and view them with the highest disdain. Don't forget there's a topic describing how they've extended their antics to children's toys, or how Grand Theft Auto V is getting boycotted.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Sung-Hwan said:
I see all feminists as extremists. Given the way they act, it's hard not to come to such a conclusion and view them with the highest disdain. Don't forget there's a topic describing how they've extended their antics to children's toys, or how Grand Theft Auto V is getting boycotted.
Judging many by the actions of a few is not a very nice thing to do. I am not judging anyone who enjoys visual novels based on your actions or those anyone else who enjoys them and behaved like a dick.

Dec 14, 2009
Claims to be open-minded, mature, and patient.

Thinks all feminists are warped, delusional, and close-minded and should stay out of anime.

Seems legit.

Grown ups don't usually have to tell everyone how grown up they are.

Sung-Hwan

Dec 13, 2014
Rabbitboy said:
Sung-Hwan said:
Judging many by the actions of a few is not a very nice thing to do. I am not judging anyone who enjoys visual novels based on your actions or those anyone else who enjoys them and behaved like a dick.
But I am not generalizing. They're all hyper aggressive for one thing.

The hate for feminists also stretches far beyond me, so I think it's fair to say I have a point when it comes to A LOT of people not liking them. There's a reason for this...

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Sung-Hwan said:
Rabbitboy said:
Sung-Hwan said:

The hate for feminists also stretches far beyond me, so I think it's fair to say I have a point when it comes to A LOT of people not liking them. There's a reason for this...
You are claiming that you aren't generalizing. But then immediately generalize by claiming that they are all hyper aggressive.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
The OP is just wrong. Like I don't think I have the ability to explain just how wrong they are from the insults to this thread.

More to the thread title. Ya feminist should be involved in anime. I kind of what to hear what the argument was about and what criticism they had. I find that anime, manga, ect is a very mixed bag in part because it's a huge bag and in part because it's a culture with some completely different norms and tropes that translate differently.

Sung-Hwan

Dec 13, 2014
Yeah I give up. It's clear I melt down or can't cope with these topics, or get into how Western people think with their bias. The one thing I don't understand is how, even though the Escapist is a pro-Western site with articles mocking Japan, why are there anime/fan submitted VN reviews every now and then? The ones that are serious? That's just what I'm confused over.

But yes, if I am going to spend time on this site, maybe I should put on a facade of being a pro-American.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
> I am not generalizing...

> They're all hyper aggressive...

> Insulted someone with the worst insults imaginable because they said something may be sexist or have sexist elements.

There is so much self-awareness in this thread. XD

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
OT: No, you weren't wrong to disagree with what she said, nor were you wrong to challenge her over it. That's the only way anything gets done, through a discussion of ideas and healthy debate.

However, you were completely and utterly in the wrong with how you went about it. Name calling and telling people to kill themselves solves abso-freaking-lutely nothing, and will only validate the opinions of the person you're attacking. It's simply bad behavior. And despite how you might think of yourself, it is very, very immature.

So I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that you're a pretty hardcore Fate/UBW, and that the franchise means something special to you. As such, when you saw someone criticizing it for being sexist, you took it personally and lost your cool. Okay, fine. I get it. Firefly is my favorite TV show of all time, and for certain reasons, it personally means a lot to me. And I also once came across a bugnuts article bitching about how sexist it was. And when I read it, my reaction was a great big pile of, "Are you fucking kidding me? What is this nonsense?"

Then I shrugged and went to do something else. You know why? Because they weren't worth my time. So what if some person I never met didn't like my favorite show? So what if they were wrong? It didn't affect me any, and certainly wasn't worth acting like an ass.

As for feminism, I do agree that those whole fit the stereotypical hardcore "feminazis" and "SJW" types are annoying, and do their causes more cause than good. But that doesn't mean all feminists are that way, or even the majority. It's just the radical, Lisa Simpson types are the most active online, while the rational ones with valid points to make get drowned out in the shouting.

My sister, for example, is a feminist, and it's something that's very important to her. Why? Because she's part of a field that's predominantly male, and her coworkers have been unintentionally sexist toward her. Not in an obvious "stay in the kitchen" sort of way, but condescending and sexist nevertheless. And we've had a lot of great discussions about it, and she also agrees that the SJW types give the movement a bad name. However, every single movement, ideology, cause, belief system, etc. has plenty of loud, obnoxious zealots. And more often than not, people tend to equate them with the whole movement and frequently point to them as a way to validate their dislike for that movement, while the rational ones unfortunately become casualties. So my advice to you would be to calm down, stop generalizing, and enjoy what you enjoy without worrying about what someone on the internet thinks.

EDIT:
Sung-Hwan said:
Yeah I give up. It's clear I melt down or can't cope with these topics, or get into how Western people think with their bias. The one thing I don't understand is how, even though the Escapist is a pro-Western site with articles mocking Japan, why are there anime/fan submitted VN reviews every now and then? The ones that are serious? That's just what I'm confused over.

But yes, if I am going to spend time on this site, maybe I should put on a facade of being a pro-American.
Erm, have you been in R&P lately? This site isn't exactly what I would call "Pro American."

On the whole, people are pretty fond of Japan and Anime around here. True, problematic trends and tropes get a lot of discussion and criticism, but we do that with just about every medium, in a "We love this and want it to be better," rather than "We hate this and it sucks!" sort of way.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Colour Scientist said:
There is so much self-awareness in this thread. XD
Well he did admit he can't cope with these topics. It's not much but it's a start.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Sung-Hwan said:
Rabbitboy said:
Sung-Hwan said:

You are generalizing though. You can't judge all feminists to be the same without meeting everyone who considers themselves to be a feminist.

I can't take anyone seriously when they insult someone savagely all because of a difference in opinion. Yes you were in the wrong.