Poll: Should I do it?

Matt-the-twat

Sep 13, 2009
You can't really not go, you'd wind up regretting that decision for the rest of your life. I'd say go to a high school on a different continent to you, I think you get a better deal out of that as it's that much more unlikely that you'll visit there when you're older. If you do decide to come to England, apply to come somewhere down South I'd say, but maybe I'm biased.

Feb 7, 2009
High school and the people in it are just as shallow and pointless in America as everywhere else. You won't miss a thing. You would be better of staying home.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
If at all possible you should do it. Regardless of which country you go to it will be a valuable experience to carry with you the rest of your life

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Well seeing as you speak English very well I say it sounds like an excellent idea. At least where I am from foreign kids are always treated very well. I would recommend going to a midsized town, where does not matter to much since they are all pretty similar except for the weather.

Rune342

Aug 26, 2008
From what I had seen at my high school, everyone loved the exchange students. I know it isn't the same everywhere, but that's how it is in Washington.

KiruTheMant

Nov 2, 2009
Dapsen said:
Okay so here's my scenario:

I'm 14 (I'll be fifteen come December) and I'm from Denmark.
The Danish school school system has an offer that allows me to take a year in High School in USA, England, France, Canada, New Zealand, Australia or Ireland. The only requirement is that I have the equivalent of a C in all my core subjects and that I am 15-19 years old.

So, I'm thinking of finishing this school year (come June next year), and then having a year in a High School in USA. By then, I'll be 15, as already mentioned, and I don't think getting a C is very hard for me.

Info about the offer: I'm offered a 14 day preparation course in the country I choose, before starting in school and I will be living with a host family that has gone through 'training' to be nice to me. I can also sign up for 'Discovery tours', where I'm taken on tours with other exchange students to see awesome landmarks and that kinda stuff.
In England, Australia, France, Canada and the states, I can also choose which part I want to be sent to.

So to all you Americans: should I do it? Is High School an awesome experience, or does it suck?
Advise of all kinds is welcome. Also if you hail from one of the other available countries, feel free to give me some reasons as to why I'm better off going there. I will be listening :)

EDIT: I speak fluent English. My English stepfather of 11 years has taught me the language since I was 4-5 years old. I don't have self-esteem issues and I'm open to new people.

MEGA EDIT!: I'm beginning to lean more towards Australia.
Well,If you are fluent in english,and talkative enough to come,and can handle the people,no issues. But be forewarned,a LOT of people will either be your best friend or mock your accent,as was the issue with my Korean friend. Its all up to you,and not the opinions of everyone else though. Your the one losing your family for a bit,and having to deal with some of the more unrestrained American children.

KiruTheMant

Nov 2, 2009
Requx said:
spartan1077 said:
Only adivice: Go to Canada
Yeah I agree, our only stereotype is that were nice :) , plus USA kids arent always the most accepting of other cultures.
I am sad to admit my culture ain't the top of the foodchain,at least in acceptance

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Yes, do it. I'd personally think Australia would be best, as it's a beautiful country full of beautiful (and nice!) people. But if not, perhaps England. Avoid Canada, don't get me wrong, I love my home, but compared to Australia it isn't all that interesting. France... well, I found them to be quite rude and stuck up when I visited, but I was also a tourist.

Regardless of where you go, definitely go!

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Yes, but come to Canada. We're cold as hell, but we have great public transit.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Traveling and studying abroad was one of the best experiences of my life. Don't pass this up.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
zombiesinc said:
Yes, do it. I'd personally think Australia would be best, as it's a beautiful country full of beautiful (and nice!) people. But if not, perhaps England. Avoid Canada, don't get me wrong, I love my home, but compared to Australia it isn't all that interesting. France... well, I found them to be quite rude and stuck up when I visited, but I was also a tourist.

Regardless of where you go, definitely go!
I think I would agree with this. Canada has a pretty good school system and nice people, all multicultural and junk, but there isn't much of interest going on. Unless you really like trees or snow.

I've been to England as well, and its fairly similar to Canada in a lot of ways. Australia sounds like it would be the most interesting experience to me.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
America--where the schools are overcrowded and the people are filled with pop-culture references and bad attitudes--if you win over a few friends it will be worth the trip though.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
personally, i dont see the appeal in going to an entirely different school with nobody you know, and living with a strange family for 9 months.

clockout

Jun 7, 2010
chewbacca1010 said:
Yes, but come to Canada. We're cold as hell, but we have great public transit.
that and we'll crack a beer with anyone, and be your best frwiend.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
Come to Canada. It's nice here, and I can almost guarantee that our school system is better than the one in the USA.