Poll: Should I get Fallout 3 or fallout new vegas?

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
ultrabiome said:
i liked that in Fallout 3 i could just wait on the main quest and just explore. my recommendation if you choose Fallout 3. ignore the DLC, explore the wasteland, slowly get through the main quest, but save the main quest end until you're about to be lvl 20 (the non-DLC cap).
If I was to get Fallout 3, I would get the GTOY edition because it's the same price as the base game with no DLC ($20) and I don't want to pay $20-30 for content I could have gotten in the GOTY version for the same price as the base game, and I don't think there's anyway to not install the DLC with steam

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Tough choice. There was more of Fallout 3, with more interesting settlements and characters, but New Vegas took the biscuit for setting and story.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
stringtheory said:
ultrabiome said:
i liked that in Fallout 3 i could just wait on the main quest and just explore. my recommendation if you choose Fallout 3. ignore the DLC, explore the wasteland, slowly get through the main quest, but save the main quest end until you're about to be lvl 20 (the non-DLC cap).
If I was to get Fallout 3, I would get the GTOY edition because it's the same price as the base game with no DLC ($20) and I don't want to pay $20-30 for content I could have gotten in the GOTY version for the same price as the base game, and I don't think there's anyway to not install the DLC with steam
hmm. i bought the PC GOTY disk off of amazon irrc, but when i loaded up the game i remember being able to select which DLC i wanted activated. it wasn't a big deal when i activated them all at once when i reloaded my last save right before the end of the main quest.

might be the same through steam.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
On one hand, I think you should get Fallout 3 because I'm sure you'd enjoy both games and would eventually buy New Vegas, and going to Fallout 3 to New Vegas would be more preferable than going from New Vegas to Fallout 3 because it could be seen as an upgrade of sorts (several mechanics are added or improved in New Vegas, which I feel make it better as an RPG). On the other hand, New Vegas is simply a better game. Take that as you will.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
Fallout NV has a more fun world to walk around in. But if you want to feel like your actually in a post apocalyptic world Fallout 3 hands down. I just walked around for hours in fallout 3 trying to find out what awesome thing would happen next. Also NV has SO many more bugs then fallout 3. I saw three lizards all walking in the same centimeter of space in a rock. It was really easy to shoot them though.

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
does Fallout 3 have any DLC like GRA in New Vegas, which makes it way too easy?
or is all the DLC for Fallout 3 all separate areas, which you can access on your own time?

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
Let me put it this way - if I could vote more than once, Fallout 3 would have 1000 votes!

It has an amazing storyline, with characters I actually care about, the best enviromental storytelling ever in a game and an amazing ending. If you can get the DLCs get Broken Steel as you can continue with the game.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
stringtheory said:
does Fallout 3 have any DLC like GRA in New Vegas, which makes it way too easy?
or is all the DLC for Fallout 3 all separate areas, which you can access on your own time?
There is Operation Anchorage which gives you OP'd items at the end but the other DLCs have seperate areas. Broken Steel adds new and improved places to the default Capital Wasteland.

dills2

Aug 18, 2010
i liked fallout 3 as it had more emphasis on fighting mutants i killed more humans in nv

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
dills2 said:
i liked fallout 3 as it had more emphasis on fighting mutants i killed more humans in nv
The Vault 87 Mutants were considered mentally retarded even by the standards of the Mariposa Super Mutants.Hence why they were always evil in Fallout 3. I liked the Super Mutants from New Vegas myself, since Tabitha and Davison are both hilariously paranoid.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
play 1 and 2 first, before playing 3 and NV. Gives you some idea and something to lean on when finally deciding if you like 3 and NV. The changes made to those games are controversial to say the least.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Fallout 3 GOTY edition would be my suggestion. While it is true that the story is clearly not up to par with the original two Fallout 2-D pixel titles, and there is a severe lack of darker-than black humour, it's still pretty much a good game, an enjoyable ride and it has its moments of some much-welcome freedom and WTF-is-happening silliness. The add-ons, which will be all contained in the GOTY edition, are also fun expansions to be played at your own discretion.

I also enjoyed playing through some parts of FO: New Vegas, but since I really oppose gambling, the Post-Nuclear Blackhole Sunset Strip setting really didn't work for me. I also got fed up with about three quarters of the available factions and ended up killing them all accordingly, which made me wish I could lug around full-size nuclear warheads so I could just nuke the whole area instead of amassing a four-digit kill count by hand and small arms. New Vegas isn't bad, I just think Fallout 3 offers a more varied and more fun selection of 'episodes' or sub-plots. I also found the whole main story plot to be quite a bit more coherent and, in the end, more rewarding. Writing that really hurts, but I can't change the way I feel about it.

I take it you're on PC... if you were on PS3, I'd warn you about the constant crashes. Some folks bought new PS3 units because they thought their hardware was faulty, when in fact both FO3 trips kept tripping and acting up.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Depends on what you want.

If you want a sight-seeing shooter with stats, with a mind-numbingly terrible quests, and a gameworld that completely breaks down logically if you think about it for more than a femtosecond, go Fallout 3.

If you want a First-person RPG that actually deserves to be called Fallout, with internal consistency and themes, with a game world that actually withstands the slightest logical thought, go New Vegas.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
New Vegas, their both great games but NV has improved on pretty much every aspect from character build actually mattering, the much improved story and characters the writing is amazing, the game play is a lot more balanced. 3 was good but the plot especially the "ending" was ridiculous and your really never given any major choices your stuck with 1 faction which really bugged me given the previous games huge emphasis on choice.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
New Vegas is arguably the better of the two, but I fell in love so hard with Fallout 3 that I suggest it no matter what.

You know what? Just get both. And all the DLC. Minus Dead Money and Mothership Zeta.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
I'd start with Fallout 3
It's also a better game imo, but NV comes close
But if you'll eventually get both, get Fallout 3
If not... Get Fallout 3

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Headdrivehardscrew said:
I also got fed up with about three quarters of the available factions and ended up killing them all accordingly, which made me wish I could lug around full-size nuclear warheads so I could just nuke the whole area instead of amassing a four-digit kill count by hand and small arms.
Actually, you can.

At the end of Lonesome Road DLC, you have the option of nuking anyone you don't like. You can destroy access to the Mojave for both the NCR and the Legion, crushing their hopes for a new civilization.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Personally, I have always favoured Fo3 over NV.

The atmosphere is far more to my liking and I am a fan of the emptier world.
It just felt more... open? I guess.

I just found NV too straightforward. I ended up having more money than I knew what to do with and found the main story to be interesting but unfulfilling.

And Megaton is one of my favourite fictional towns ever.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
It depends really. They both are pretty much the same game more or less (the features added in New Vegas can be modded in with a little work), but the real difference is the setting.

If you want to wander around in a truly atmospheric wasteland where you constantly feel it is you against the world and other human settlements are few and far between, go with Fallout 3.

If you are more interested in seeing a society rebuilding itself from the ashes, spreading, and all the political strife that comes with it, go with Fallout New Vegas.