Poll: Should Nintendo Stop Making Consoles?

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
I'm getting tired of Nintendo and their gimmicky consoles and games. First it was the Wii with its clunky and frustrating controls that no hardcore gamer in their right mind would actually like. And now the WiiU is coming out next year. It has a giant tablet like controller with a touch screen and I'm pretty sure it has motion control too.

Don't get me wrong, the Wii was fun for the first couple of months but then I got bored of crappy sports and party games and went back to my PS3 and Xbox. I went back to it when the Wii motion plus came out and then got bored with it again. Now it sits in my sister's room and is only used when she wants to watch netflix (which I'm pretty sure that is what 2/3 of the Wiis that were sold are used for now).

Personally I want Nintendo to stop making consoles and focus on making their awesome games for a real console.

EDIT: Some people are saying stuff like "They make games for kids" and things like that. I'm not saying that I want Nintendo to stop making games, I actually love Mario and Zelda. I just want them to stop making consoles. I will admit that I shouldn't have said that " the Wii with its clunky and frustrating controls that no hardcore gamer in their right mind would actually like". That was an over generalization and shouldn't assume that no hardcore gamers actually like motion controls.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
I have to agree I wouldn't buy any nintendo console ever again. The only thing theyre good for is for party games. And I have a kinect so I'm good on that.

x-machina

Sep 14, 2010
I seem to be the only person in the world who doesn't enjoy their "awesome" games. I have never been able to get into a mario or zelda game after the snes. (Even those one I am pretty sure its just nostalgia that I enjoy.)

So I don't care what system they make games for

Pseudopod

Oct 8, 2010
I'm currently enjoying the heck out of Skyward Sword, a game that is far better on the Wii with Motion Plus than it would be on another console. Granted, the Wii isn't perfect, but Nintendo makes games that use the hardware very well, and not just party games.

So, no. Don't assume all hardcore gamers hate Wii controls.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Yeah, let's take one of the most profitable things on the market, and then not make anymore of them. Brilliant idea.

Mayamellissa

Dec 3, 2011
I voted yes merely because they're totally screwing people over. They refused to bring Fatal Frame 4 Curse of the Lunar Mask to the states. Project Rainfall was cancelled. It's just... they just... Gosh darned idiots!

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
I would buy PC ports of many Nintendo games, if they were made for a proper controller like Xbox 360. In fact, forget ports, all N needs to do is sell me legal copies of ROM images, and I'd buy them at the sub-$20 price point at which I buy most of my Steam games.

Since they would probably have to stop producing consoles for that to happen, I said "yes".

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Nostalgia is the ONLY thing keeping their products alive. Aside from that, they only have the 'Family' market to work with. Gamecube sucked, Wii sucked (Great effort/innovation though), Wii-U is two Wiis covered in S**T by their developers who then proceed to wipe their A$$es with fat stacks of cash before they then have their team of mentally defunct monkeys decide on the next games to be released, usually something like "Terrible-Average sequel to a popular Franchise like Mario" or their common route of "GOD AWFUL ONE-SHOT GAMES".

It's not that I despise Nintendo (I do), but rather that it's one of those game companies that is filled with morons who don't actually know what Gamers want, and instead try and cash in on the next 'BIG' thing (Which is usually a new Zelda or Mario game if they don't have an original idea).

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
It seems that there's always three big consoles out that dominate each generation. I'd say that's an ideal number. If Nintendo stops making consoles, someone else should step up to the plate. I'm thinking either Apple or Google.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Radoh said:
Yeah, let's take one of the most profitable things on the market, and then not make anymore of them. Brilliant idea.
Pretty much what I was thinking. There's this disturbing mentality which seems to be too common among gamers. The mentality of "If I don't like it or it doesn't appeal to me, it doesn't deserve to be on the market." God, people. We have two consoles geared toward graphics and plain controllers. Heaven forbid we allow games to grow in diversity and expand into previously unexplored demographics. We wouldn't want this industry to succeed or have something for everyone or anything.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Nope, they should keep going. Nintendo for me is often the saving grace for keeping me interested in gaming.

When I get bored of grey shooters, muscle bound men, being called a ****** by 13 year olds, apocalyptic cities, I throw on a zelda, kirby, mario or okami game and remember why the hell I started this shit in the first place.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'd like to see them go back to making the original Nintendo and, Super Nintendo. Technologically they're considered obsolete but it looks like the market for classic games is growing in strength. If nothing else it would be great as a WTF move.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
Warlord211 said:
I'm getting tired of Nintendo and their gimmicky consoles and games. First it was the Wii with its clunky and frustrating controls that no hardcore gamer in their right mind would actually like. And now the WiiU is coming out next year. It has a giant tablet like controller with a touch screen and I'm pretty sure it has motion control too.
ITT, false statements, opinions as fact, and gross overgeneralization. Great way to get things started.

The Wii might not be your cup of tea, but just because you hate on people who like it doesn't mean that there isn't a place for it in the market. The existence of the Wii doesn't devalue the allegedly more "hardcore" consoles you prefer, so why can't both exist?

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Pseudopod said:
I'm currently enjoying the heck out of Skyward Sword, a game that is far better on the Wii with Motion Plus than it would be on another console. Granted, the Wii isn't perfect, but Nintendo makes games that use the hardware very well, and not just party games.

So, no. Don't assume all hardcore gamers hate Wii controls.
The MotionPlus on Skyward Sword with the positioned sword fighting... that is fun as shit.

The game itself has a bad plot with absolutely astronomical amounts of ridiculous gameplay-extending padding, but still fun as shit.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I like motion controls, implemented properly they can add a lot of fun to a game, and if they stopped making consoles then it'd just be Sony and Microsoft throwing around a bunch of numbers and specs at each other, sure Nintendo's stuff comes off as gimmicky but I still want at least one hardware company that's not obsessed with power and graphics.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Nintendo makes games for kids. 10 years ago you loved it because you were a kid, and now you are growing/grown out of it. They still make great games for for a different demographic than you, and I think they should keep doing that. What's wrong with casuals enjoying games?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Radoh said:
Isn't that like "Killing" pokemon because "teh designs are bad!!!1!!!"