Poll: "Show a little sympathy; all death is tragic !"

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
I see all death as tragic, and I think its a bit sad when people seem to take it as commonplace, yes people die for good reasons, bad reasons retribution disease, old age, excetera, but death is something I that is solom and I think you should take a moment for

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yes, I know what it's like to lose someone so I sympathize because I understand. I here about the horrible ways people die over the world on the news everyday and I usually think "I hope that doesn't happen to me".

No, for people like Hitler and Osama, I'm happy. Well, I'd be happy if they just got thrown in to jail too, as long as they aren't hurting anyone anymore.

I selected 'Yes' because of how the OP put it.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
If I was going to show sympathy every time someone died, I'd have to by sympathetic every second of every day...

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Nope.

Some deaths are tragic to some people. No death is tragic to everyone.

And for me, it just means more minions.

I'm a Necromancer.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Respect life, not those who waste and destroy it.

Mourning someone who is utterly irrelevant to your life is ridiculous, however.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Death is barely ever tragic. The majority of people these days (in the West at least) live long, healthy lives, with lots of entertainment & comfort readily available. People generally die old, and have had a lot of fun. What is tragic is that there is such a stark difference in living conditions between the West and the Third World.

Jak23

Oct 1, 2010
I wasn't showing any simpathy when Osama died... Or muslims for that matter.

Jun 16, 2010
TheScientificIssole said:
The fact is I don't know 99% of the Earth population, and death happens every day. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day. I don't enter into a day by day depression over it. Something being horrible is one person's opinion.
Showing some sympathy and being personally affected are two completely different things.

For example, if your dad died, I wouldn't personally care, but at the same time I would still have enough sympathy not to be insensitive. So if your dad was a famous musician, and you said he'd just died, I wouldn't respond with "Meh, his music was shitty and annoying anyway. Good riddance lol" even if that's how I felt, because that would be unsymapthetic.

NicholasT33

Mar 23, 2011
Yes.

Death is always tragic.

Sometimes it is necessary. Sometimes it is a good thing. Executing a murderer is right and just - but it is still tragic.

Too many people seem to think it has to be one or the other.[/quote]

Agreed.

qwewee

Jul 16, 2009
Princess Rose said:
I've read this many times on forums. What do you think of it? Do you agree? Disagree?
I have to say, no.
If someone who I don't know dies, why does it have to be tragic to ME? If some celebrities death occurs, why should I have to have be personally affected? The fact is I don't know 99% of the Earth population, and death happens every day. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day. I don't enter into a day by day depression over it. Something being horrible is one person's opinion.
Yes.

Death is always tragic.

Sometimes it is necessary. Sometimes it is a good thing. Executing a murderer is right and just - but it is still tragic.

Too many people seem to think it has to be one or the other.
actually I don't think executing a murderer is right and just. it's just hypocritical. despite this my answer is no. death is a natural consequence of living. it's the only thing we all have in common from the smallest flea to the grandest celebrity to that little family on the other end of the street. death is not sacred it is mearly a fact unavoidable and not even a sad happening. celebrate a person's life, don't lament their death.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
I've read this many times on forums. What do you think of it? Do you agree? Disagree?
I have to say, no.
If someone who I don't know dies, why does it have to be tragic to ME? If some celebrities death occurs, why should I have to have be personally affected? The fact is I don't know 99% of the Earth population, and death happens every day. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day. I don't enter into a day by day depression over it. Something being horrible is one person's opinion.
its a statement i use before i tell people why they shouldn't care (or why i don't care about a certain persons death). when i say it i don't mean it, i mean that death will always be tragic to SOMEONE. maybe that persons mother, son, husband etc. but no, i don't think all death is tragic. hitler for instance, not that many people got upset when he died.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Of course all death is tragic. The fact that it is implausible and impractical for you to feel any personal sense of loss over a hundredth of a hundredth of a percent of deaths is immaterial. You don't need to personally mourn, but you can acknowledge that you are not more important then other people, and realize that the death of others is a thing that counts as a tragedy. To say something is not tragic simply because it doesn't affect YOU is the height of arrogance. And if presented with death, and rather then acknowledging that other lives have merit to other people, you callously dismiss it entirely, your doing so for little reason besides being fashionable in a rebellious teenager pretentiously quoting Nietzsche sort of way. No ones asking you to lay flowers on a strangers grave, there just asking you to understand that psychopathic indifference to suffering is not good.

Also, the argument that people did something to deserve death so they will give no sympathy is foolish. I guarantee that you have done something just as stupid as what got the person killed: You just didn't have lethal results.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
here's 2 point about the death of someone you don't know:
1) you don't know the person, no need to dwell on it
2) if a person is upset about the death of someone you don't know, don't be an asshole to that person. just help or ignore him/her

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
death is tragic but you don't have to feel bad about them

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I have to say, no.
Saying "Show a little sympathy" isn't saying it should somehow affect you personally. It's commonly said to indicate that a little respect should be shown, regardless of who it is, or whether or not you know them personally. Sure people die all the time, and it happens more often than not, but that doesn't somehow make it any less permanent or serious. You could argue that because you didn't know them you don't have to care, but that doesn't mean you somehow are exempt from acting respectfully or compassionately towards others that may be affected to a greater degree.

So, no, it shouldn't affect you personally, nor should it send you into a "day to day depression", but it's still a serious and very real situation. What I take issue with isn't whether or not someone genuinely cares about another person dying, at least in cases where they didn't know the person, but with those who somehow find a person's death a reason to rejoice, celebrate or be happy. Okay, so someone doesn't like a celebrity, their songs/films/what-have-you, but is that really reason enough to act... happy about a person dying? I'm not saying you're one to do this, this is just something that genuinely frustrates me.

Amy Winehouse is dead, at 27. She didn't take care of herself, and maybe I didn't like (all of) her music, but I certainly won't act happy, celebrate in posts or on the streets, or say "good riddance". It's disgusting how much users today have said similar things after learning of her death, based on the fact that they didn't like her, her music, or whatever it may have been...

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
I have to say, no.
There's a world of difference between sympathy and depression. No one's suggesting that you should be constantly depressed because people are constantly dying. People are just saying that it can be a sad thing and asking that others be understanding of that.

It's less about being affected by the death and more about empathizing with those who were affected by the death. The "I didn't know them, why are you expecting me to express sympathy" thing is bred of a remarkably puerile and self-centered attitude.

And your point applies equally well to all instances of empathy. I'll warrant that there are those in this thread who are okay with eschewing all empathy, but they are not people that I want to know. Empathy is a VERY useful thing for social groups to possess.