Poll: "Show a little sympathy; all death is tragic !"

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Every death is tragic, maybe not to me specifically, but to those that care about the person.

As for when someone dies because of their own faults, it's still tragic because they can't seem to figure out what they are doing to themselves and to everyone that cares about them. I may not sympathize with them, but someone will.

In the case of murderers when they get executed, it's still a tragedy, to me anyways, because they don't understand what they are doing, they are ruining lives just because they can, and may or may not even feel sorry for it. I will not sympathize for their death, but someone will.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
Add another 3 options:
1)All death is tragic, but I don't care if a drug using/alcohol abusing person dies.
2)All death is tragic, but I don't care if a "celebrity" dies.
3)If I don't know 'em, I don't care.

If this is in reference to Amy, I choose 1.

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
"Tragedy is when i cut my finger, comedy is when you fall down an open manhole cover and die."

no

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
For the meaning most people have I disagree. If it were to say "Show a little sympathy; all death is tragic to someone[/]" I would agree with it. If random jerk XYZ dies it has no influence on me. It is not tragic to me, I do not care that he is dead. Everyone dies. Tragedy only occurs when someone cares for the deceased.

That being said, you don't go to someones funeral and crack jokes about it. The whole "too soon" crap about cracking jokes (in appropriate situations) after someone dies is stupid though.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Death is USUALLY tragic. Even an animal's death is tragic. But it's not always tragic. Sometimes, death is a relief that people long for. So while it might be tragic for some, it might be glorious for others. I guess it's one of those "It's a matter of opinion" topics.

Now, do I feel grief every time someone dies? No, honestly no. Unless I know that person well, I feel no grief. Like someone said, people die on a daily basis: starving children, terrorists, crimes, etc. I'm not saying I don't care, but sadly, I find it hard to feel sympathy for those deaths. if I stopped and cried a little every time someone died, I would spend the rest of my life crying

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
I still have the cellphone-captured hanging of Saddam Hussein favorited on YouTube.

And since people keep insisting that death is "nonetheless tragic", here's the definition of tragedy:

a tragedy...is any event with a sad and unfortunate outcome
Death is not always a sad or unfortunate outcome. See Saddam-On-A-Rope, above.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Every living creature that exists dies.

The continuance of life requires death.

Death is not tragic.

SOME lives end tragically. Some do not. But death itself is not the tragedy.

Every single one reading this is GOING to die. I am GOING to die. There is no tragedy in what is inevitable, only the manner of death can be tragic.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
To be honest, death isn't tragic to everyone; It's the aftereffect I personally care about. Everyone (EVERYONE) should be given respect after they are dead, because they one have no way to rebuttal, and two, regardless of what they have done in the past, to some people they may have done good.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
InterAirplay said:
I really like your post - you've managed to perfectly summarise my feelings on the issue in a thread where I would resort to using incredibly verbose answers. I'm quoting your post just to let my opinion be heard.
^^ Thank you. I agree with your post as well. Well said.

It's nice to have someone post something nice to me for a change. ^^

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
man you people are real downers. what most of you don't understand is this;

we are on a planet in a universe void of any life but our own, that makes earth unique, a 1 in a million chance, a special gift, a miracle. all life weather it be a plant, animal, or person is a miracle. a lot of people use the gift of life to make the world a better place for themselves, and in the most miraculous of cases a better place for those around them. however, some people lead hateful, spiteful, cruel lives and do harm to others.

so it is tragic that good man dies untimely in the most tragic cases, but it's just as tragic to see a cruel man spend his entire life without appreciating the gift of life he had been given.

that is why all death is tragic; not because of death itself, but because of the waste of a beautiful gift.

cameron196789

Jan 17, 2011
People will cry for the death of a celebratory who did too much drugs, but they wont blink an eyelid when someone dies of starvation in places like Africa. I think that says a lot about the human race.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
LeeHarveyO said:
Oh the tradgedy that was the death of Adolf Hitler, UBL, Josef Stalin, Sadam Hussein.
the tragic part is that they used the life they had been given to do wrong, rather than use the gift of life to do good

now who's UBL? and why isn't mao ze dong and pol pot in this list? or my robotics coach?

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
I tend to find that anyone who speaks badly about someone who's recently died is in desperate need of attention.. and has generally been a troll before, or will start after that. The "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" rule fits very well whenever the topic comes up.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
InterAirplay said:
Uh, thanks. For a change? what, you're not a rampant anti-semite or something, are you?
No, I'm a mixed race (got a little bit of Jewish blood in there) bisexual pagan woman - pretty much the opposite of that. However, I'm also very vocal about stuff. Particularly in the Escapist Forum.

Lately, when I post something, people who disagree with me post loudly, vocally, and often (not always) insultingly.

On the other hand, it has been some time since someone gave me a nice compliment. So thank you. ^^

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
I vote "yes" with the following explanations:
I don't mean tragic in a "lets all stop being productive members of society to grieve over each of the hundreds of people dying each day"-way. I'm not someone who is disturbed to know people are dying everywhere.
My vote is in response to the celebration of or wishing for death. I don't care how many horrible things Osama Bin Laden did, you shouldn't go through the streets celebrating anyone's death. And I don't care if Casey Anthony probably did kill her child, it's no one's place to decide she should die and wish it to be so.
So in those terms, yes, live has value, it is no one's place to mock, celebrate, or wish upon others death.