Poll: Skyrim - Annoyed by encumbrance?

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
I am annoyed by it, yes, but i think it is a mechanic well worth having.

Limiting characters is important, and i haven't seen many ways to do that which are fun for the player.

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
Just know your weight-cost ratios. Don't pick up anything that doesn't sell for at least 4 times as much as it weighs.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Here's what I did in Oblivion and what I do now in Skyrim. Run into the dungeon and kill everyone in like the first small area. Dump everything into like a barrel or any annoying storage container near the entrance. Continue on and repeat dumping everything into barrels or some easy to find container (ideally this would be the one at the beginning, but walking back and forth through the dungeon is tedious). After the dungeon is cleared take everything you want (and everything you had equipped) and put it into another barrel at the start of the dungon. Pick up as much crap as you can and fast travel to the nearest city and sell everything you don't want. Fast travel back and rinse and repeat.

Once you actually have some money to throw around, this won't be necessary. Then you kill everyone and go from body to body looking for things with a good Gold to weight ratio and only take those.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I find it manageable. I just try to sell everything asap and carry high-value low-weight items if I can. Though it's often a pain when shops (especially general stores) run out of money so quickly. >_<

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
It's not quite as bad as oblivion, but it's still pretty gosh darn annoying.

I feel that in the very least, every RPG should come with enough inventory space to carry all the loot out of any dungeon, with a little extra space for reagents. Having to make a second trip to a dungeon just to haul the rest of it back is not fun.

"Butbutbut, having that big of an inventory is unrealistic!" ...were talking about a fantasy game with dragons and such, realistic? HAH.

Dragon Age got inventory right. It's present, but even without purchasing any bags you'll still be able to haul all the loot out of any instance in the game.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I was NEVER encumber. It must be because I'm playing an assassin/theif/Rogue type guy who isn't that bad except for the part about enjoying killing his enemies.
Mostly because of that I steal gold and books.

That and clothes.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I just loot stuff that's light and worth money. Stopped picking up weapons or armour if they aren't unique.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
I see the need for a maximum carry limit (especially in a game with so much random items) (I like visiting town between dungeons, and this forces that) and, given that this is definitely one of the better systems they could have come up with. Slowly down rather than simply denying you the ability to pick something up is so much easier to work with.

Plus, at least this time they aren't tying carry capacity to strength, so only heavy melee users get a reasonable carry weight; a stupid system used in so many games. In fact, it's pickpocketing, for people who like to carry all teh phat lewts, who get extra carry space.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Giest4life said:
I really hate that shit. I can absorb the soul of a dragon but I can't carry more than 325 in weight value?

I just collect the gold and valuable weapons and then sell them in the first Hold I happen to find myself in.
Um... well, yeah.

Souls weigh nothing. You're part dragon (or something, I think) so it makes sense that you can use their powers. You have magic and all that, so it makes sense that such a thing would work.
But you're also limited in strength and physics. You can't pick up a boulder and huck it at a giant, you can't fly, and you can't carry an infinite amount of volume and mass. Eve given your dragon soul-sucking powers and magic skills, it would make no sense to be able to pick up 54 sets of heavy plate mail and a few dozen broadswords and axes and carry them around everywhere.

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
TheSaw said:
Kopikatsu said:
I just dump everything in one of my many, many, MANY bases scattered across Skyrim after every 3-5 dungeon dives.
Yeah this is what I do, but it can be annoying if I'm like carrying 10 dragon bones and 10 dragon scales. Having to go back and forth to the Arch-mage quarters can get somewhat annoying too, but not a big deal really.
What can you DO with Dragon Bones and Dragon Scales? I have played for over 10 hours and I yet have managed to leave Whiterun...

Also, I love your Pinkie Pie avatar!
Dragon bones are used to make Dragonbone armour (heavy armour, for warriors really)
Dragon scales are used to make Dragonscale armour (Light armour)
I'm still trying to find the guy who makes it for you, but they're the best armour in game I've heard, unless you're a mage then I think the arch-mage robe is the best.

And thanks, she's the best. xD

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I used the change weight limit cheat until I got the perk that makes armor weightless, then I turned it back to normal.

But yeah, it really annoyed me. Especially in fetch quests that required lots of heavy shit. Walking across an entire country wasn't fun.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
It hardly only happens in Bethesda games. I always think that I might need this or that and end up carring way to many things, or that I just want to loot everything and then sell it later.
But I like it, if can't just carry 1000 swords with me. I see it as an additional challenge to the game. I have to think more about the stuff that I carry around and decide what exactly I want to steal from the dead bodies of my enemies.
That means something that is worth a lot but also very heavy isn't really worth carrying around, if there are things that aren't worth that much, but are much lighter. For example, heavy armor is often worth a lot but so is a diamond. But the diamand weighs nearly nothing, whereas the heavy armor, as the name suggests, is heavy.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Eventidal said:
Giest4life said:
I really hate that shit. I can absorb the soul of a dragon but I can't carry more than 325 in weight value?

I just collect the gold and valuable weapons and then sell them in the first Hold I happen to find myself in.
Um... well, yeah.

Souls weigh nothing. You're part dragon (or something, I think) so it makes sense that you can use their powers. You have magic and all that, so it makes sense that such a thing would work.
But you're also limited in strength and physics. You can't pick up a boulder and huck it at a giant, you can't fly, and you can't carry an infinite amount of volume and mass. Eve given your dragon soul-sucking powers and magic skills, it would make no sense to be able to pick up 54 sets of heavy plate mail and a few dozen broadswords and axes and carry them around everywhere.
I disagree, mon ami. The soul is not something that is explained by the laws of physics, and neither are dragons. The game necessitates a suspension of reality in some form or the other, which is absolutely fine, and I feel that that they should have extended that exception to the inventory system as well. But, I know that some people enjoy the additional level of complexity that this adds to the game, so I can understand their decision. It still personally bugs me and I'm on the lookout for a mod that will address this issue.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
babinro said:
With Skyrim, I put about 5 hours in to the game before giving into the encumbrance command prompt:
player.modav currentweight 9000

Personally I find it a chore to have to inventory manage. Since there is no time pressure placed on the player, I see no tactical advantage as to why these encumbrance systems are so unforgiving to begin with.

Are you annoyed by encumbrance in Bethesda games or embrace it's realism?
Do you feel they add to the gaming experience in a meaningful way?
Do you cheat so you have more time to play the actual game?

While on the topic of command prompts, are there any other cheats you use on your first playthrough? (the above is the only one I use)
Leveling up fatigue should raise encumbrance

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
TheSaw said:
WOAH. I did not realize how adorable your avatar was in the chat.

OT: I find it a chore too, but I think it's important to the plausibility of the world and the balance of the game. It's not obvious why, but you have to think of it in terms of economics. The main reason to pick things up is to sell them at market (you do it for that reason far more than you do it because you'll use it). Because you can't carry everything, you're forced to find the miscellanea with the highest weight/value ratio, in order to maximize your gain. If there is no encumbrance, there is very little incentive not to pick up nearly every loose item in the game world, which would get really preposterous at a certain point. Dovakin would become an obsessive compulsive and the towns and halls would be suddenly emptied of their characteristic books and decorations. On top of that, every time I went to market I would be able to extract every cent from every vendor every time by flogging miscellaneous crap. The excess is filled away for later. Then if I want to buy something I can instantly retrieve the money I gave to the vendor for it by trading extra random shit. With a little (not even that much) time, it would be fantastically easy to acquire every item available for sale simply by walking through a guild hall and picking everything up to sell it. It makes the economics part of the game obsolete.

The encumbrance system also forces you to plan ahead and choose strategies that will keep you safe on the road more often than not. Without it, you have no reason (save the clutter of the inventory -- but that's mitigated by the favorites screen) not to keep every enchanted hat and scarf set you come by, on the off chance you could use a teeny bit more frost resistance against some troublesome necromancers. Within the first 10 hours, you can accumulate a veritable armory of weapons, each one specially suited to whatever task you might face. Besides being just a tad boring (you never have to be creative with what you have to win -- you just have the best tools available all the time), this unbalances the game (though to a lesser extent than the effects of the above considerations). You can argue that it's implausible too, but he's already capable of carrying 12 suits of armor ostensibly nowhere on his person without appearing to be encumbered, so that doesn't really work once you think about it.

I actually enjoy the task of organizing my outfit to maximize my overall effectiveness while maintaining the lowest possible encumbrance, so it doesn't bother me.