Poll: Skyrim - Annoyed by encumbrance?

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Are you kidding me?
Your guy can carry 400 kilos and it's not enough, I don't even. I did use the console, to put that carryweight lower. About 70 is more then enough.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Never had a problem with it. Sure if I'm out in the wilds for a while I eventually begin to hover around the encumbrance limit, but I've never had a problem with that. It just means its time to either sort through my inventory for stuff I really and stuff that is vendor junk. I'm fine with not being able to carry everything in the game at once, it makes you pack smart. If you're constantly fighting the encumbrance limit, you either not hitting the shops to sell often enough or you are carrying too many inane things around with you. There's no need to carry the ancient Nord weapons that weigh as much as they sell for.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
It's annoying. But seeing a rogue like character have a backpack of 300lbs. And be able to fight and sneak around? I think that's too much.

I wouldn't cheat. When you think about it, gold becomes too easy to get. Breaks the game for me.

The dragon stuff was heavy, but then again I have a house to store things like that.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
I like it a lot better than Oblivion's system, andit has it's purposes - you need to be careful when balancing loot. Also, you can give shit to your companions and store it into in your house... oh, and sell it. Much easier!

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Rednog said:
I'm a bit annoyed with it since I've been pretty much pick pocketing everyone and stealing everything I come across and I can't sell the stuff because its "stolen", how in the blue hell any shopkeeper can tell baffles me, and I don't have a home so I can't store the stuff, and if I drop the stuff on the ground either a guard comes rushing up to me telling me that it is dangerous to leave weapons and armor laying on the ground and fines me (the first time it was insanely amusing because I must have dropped like 20 daggers and other weapons all at the same time and the guard ran up to be and wanted like a 1,000 gold fine, and I was like wtf and had to reload the game.)
So yea it can be annoying, especially when I start looting bandits in a dungeon and have to run back out to sell the stuff, and then run all the way back through the dungeon to get the rest of the loot, and when I have to repeat this more than twice I get a bit annoyed.
Go to Riften in the far south-east, there you'll have merchants who are willing to buy your stolen goods
in Riften you have the thieves guild

OT: I don't mind the weight limit, as it was always a part of the series and a little balancing factor

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Giest4life said:
Eventidal said:
Giest4life said:
I really hate that shit. I can absorb the soul of a dragon but I can't carry more than 325 in weight value?

I just collect the gold and valuable weapons and then sell them in the first Hold I happen to find myself in.
Um... well, yeah.

Souls weigh nothing. You're part dragon (or something, I think) so it makes sense that you can use their powers. You have magic and all that, so it makes sense that such a thing would work.
But you're also limited in strength and physics. You can't pick up a boulder and huck it at a giant, you can't fly, and you can't carry an infinite amount of volume and mass. Eve given your dragon soul-sucking powers and magic skills, it would make no sense to be able to pick up 54 sets of heavy plate mail and a few dozen broadswords and axes and carry them around everywhere.
I disagree, mon ami. The soul is not something that is explained by the laws of physics, and neither are dragons. The game necessitates a suspension of reality in some form or the other, which is absolutely fine, and I feel that that they should have extended that exception to the inventory system as well. But, I know that some people enjoy the additional level of complexity that this adds to the game, so I can understand their decision. It still personally bugs me and I'm on the lookout for a mod that will address this issue.
That's an easy one. Console commands. Give them a quick Google search. I believe someone on page 1 already mentioned the command to bump up your weight capacity.

Personally, I would hate to see it go. It's entirely necessary to the game, IMO. It forces me to think about what I bring along and what I take, and that's become such a deeply rooted thing in TES games that it's a part of the gameplay and challenge itself. It's nowhere NEAR as bad as the inventory in, say, Odin Sphere was, at least.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
babinro said:
Personally I find it a chore to have to inventory manage. Since there is no time pressure placed on the player, I see no tactical advantage as to why these encumbrance systems are so unforgiving to begin with.
Unforgiving? In Oblivion, being encumbered stopped you dead in your tracks. At least you can walk here.

I'm rather indifferent about it. It doesn't bother me a whole lot, and I don't see why it should.
Eaglesolidus said:
i dont know a good place to sell my fucking dragon bones and scales
Get your smithing skill up to create dragon armor. It's very strong (the strongest, if memory serves) and comes in both light and heavy flavors. (Scales for light, bones and scales for heavy.)