Poll: Skyrim - Annoyed by encumbrance?

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
I had a problem when I was carrying 200+ pounds of smithing materials, but then I got a house.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Its not exactly realistic...the amount the character carries, why are people complaining about it being too small? Put weight on companions or store your belongings. You really don't need much at all on you at a time.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
I was always at max weight despite only having my gear, so I was searching through my bags trying to find out what was weighing me down so badly. Well it turns out I had about 250 lbs of dragon pieces in my bags... >.>

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Most weight problems I have are typically solved by dropping 200 pounds of dragon scales/bones into a chest in my home in Whiterun. I broke myself of the habit of stripping every person I kill long ago.

Spawny0908

Feb 11, 2009
Encumbrance in any game annoys me. I can carry 6 swords, 3 warhammers, 2 sets of armor (both heavy), a shit ton of potions, a bunch of ingredients, gems, dragon bones, and a mammoth tusk fine. But when I try to pick up a piece of cheese too then that's too much?! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
HassEsser said:
I found it annoying since Oblivion, but accepted that it was a legitimate game mechanic and dealt with it. It's part of the challenge, I recommend you learn to live with it. Buy a house, store your shit there, live genetically different, baby.
You could also argue that the inventory management of Mass Effect 1 was "part of the challenge", but at the end of the day it's just a lousy excuse for a bad design decision. While the original intention without a doubt was that the designers thought it would add something of value to the game, it just doesn't work, and only serves to waste your time/annoy you, and challenge is the absolutely LAST thing in the world it adds.

Personally i don't consider it 'cheating' in games if you make adjustments that are basically just quality of life improvements. To me, that's no different than installing a mod. The RPG genre has thrived a lot on mods in many of it's genres, and whenever i play Baldur's Gate, which i do quite often, i don't go anywhere without making Arrows and other projectiles stack to 400 so i don't have to be buggered with the damned inventory management. In fact, in many RPG and action adventure games, it seems like it's ALWAYS Inventory management that is a problem, even when the designers try to add clever ways to work around it. Torchlight, Skyrim, Titan Quest, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1. All of them are examples of good to excellent games with bad inventory management. The only games i can remember that handled Inventory Management well is Baldur's Gate (besides a few nitpicks) and Mass Effect 2, the latter going as far as removing the whole ordeal and replacing it with an upgrade system (which is totally fine, although their decision to remove many of the RPG aspects wasn't that well placed).

I'm not saying infinite storage space is the solution, but making it less of a hazzle is definitely a welcome addition. I consider improving the inventory space in Skyrim an improvement of gameplay, whether it's done by 'cheating', a mod or hopefully by the developers getting some common sense when they plan to release a patch in the near future.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I havent seen a problem with it. At most i might be encumbered by 10-15 lbs. And its almost always from dragon bones.

While i dont enjoy having the limit, i dont hate it either. Everytime i stop in a town, i pawn something off. Even my wife is a shop owner, so when i go home for r&r, i sell her a few things, collect the shop's profit, and have her cook me a nice meal before i give her another piece of ruby encrusted gold jewelry :)

>.>; then my real wife gets mad and asks why i dont give her jewelry....

But back on topic. The encumbrance is a good thing for the game. TES has always had it. And its what makes it a real dungeon crawler. Having to choose between shiny loot, or a stack of health pots is a big part of the game.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Step 1) Split five hundred logs
Step 2) Sell said logs to the innkeeper at Whiterun via the dialogue option
Step 3) Buy the house in Whiterun with your shiny new five thousand Septims
Step 4) Spend 300 septims on the bedroom decorations (Chop wood if you don't have that money)
Step 5) Store your stuff in the chest there.

Seriously. I had to turn on god mode to haul around the 250 pounds of Dragon Bone and 100 pounds of Dragon Scale. When I bought the home,guess what my first deposit was? Yeah,dragon carcasses. Plus,Whiterun is a pretty mice town. It has a fully armed smithy (Forge,Grindstone,Smelter) so I can make use of my ores and such (and sell the stuff I don't want/need),and an alchemist in town,so I can buy ingredients. That,and I'm Thane...

EDIT

Athinira said:
HassEsser said:
I found it annoying since Oblivion, but accepted that it was a legitimate game mechanic and dealt with it. It's part of the challenge, I recommend you learn to live with it. Buy a house, store your shit there, live genetically different, baby.
You could also argue that the inventory management of Mass Effect 1 was "part of the challenge", but at the end of the day it's just a lousy excuse for a bad design decision. There is no challenge to it. While the original intention without a doubt was that the designers thought it would add something of value to the game, the only point is to waste your time/annoy you.

Personally i don't consider it 'cheating' in games if you make adjustments that are basically just quality of life improvements. To me, that's no different than installing a mod. The RPG genre has thrived a lot on mods in many of it's genres, and whenever i play Baldur's Gate, which i do quite often, i don't go anywhere without making Arrows and other projectiles stack to 400 so i don't have to be buggered with the damned inventory management.

The point to the Encumberance Limit in the Elder Scrolls is to help enforce challenge. It forces the player to ask themselves if they really want what they're carrying,either to use or sell. This limit means that the player cannot become some unstoppable engine of annihilation that can switch out from a Daedric Warhammer to a Daedric Claymore while wearing full Daedric Armour while carrying three tonnes of loot.

The weight restrictions are in place to keep the game VARIED,therefore satisfyingly challenging. In Skyrim,you're the Dovahkiin,the Dragonborn. NOT the Singularity. It would make sense for the Dovahkiin to only be as strong as a normal person can develop.

Also,about the Mass Effect example...That was poor design,because BioWare was at that time,just a little too stuck in old school RPG. But,as I stated above,the Encumberance system in TES is a well though out and very integral mechanic made to have the player keep mindful of what they pick up,and what they carry around.

Adellebella

Sep 9, 2011
I've never had an issue with it. Granted I use light armor, but even then I keep my weight around 250lbs.

It's all about weight/worth. Jewelry is the best - barely a pound and oodles of gold.

I thought Skyrim's selling/bartering system was better then Oblivion. I usually had a lot of trouble finding a merchant with enough gold to sell my loot to, especially my stolen loot. Now merchant's don't have a problem with stolen loot ('cause they don't know where I got it, see), and most have at least 200 gold to work with.

It's about roleplaying, and taking the good with the bad.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
This iteration of the system actually lets you carry a lot more than used to be able to. Considering I've mainly been increasing endurance or whatever it's called I can't remember I can carry a significant amount of stuff. What annoys me is that certain shopkeepers will only be certain types of goods. I'm permanently wieghed down by an assortment of dragon bones/scales that no one wants.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I haven't played Skyrim yet, but I used to occasionly get annoyed with Oblivion for this if I forgot to invest in strength! Mages can use feather, warriors are strong, but it seems us Rogues (who are known for stealing and hoarding lots of loot) struggle to carry much! Until, of course, an enchanted feather item comes along!

I also had a thought, it would be cool if you could get a magic power that you could enchant cupboards and drawers that YOU own, which would allow them to link, so what you put in one, you could get out of all!

Connosd

Oct 16, 2011
TheSaw said:
Capitano Segnaposto said:
TheSaw said:
Kopikatsu said:
I just dump everything in one of my many, many, MANY bases scattered across Skyrim after every 3-5 dungeon dives.
Yeah this is what I do, but it can be annoying if I'm like carrying 10 dragon bones and 10 dragon scales. Having to go back and forth to the Arch-mage quarters can get somewhat annoying too, but not a big deal really.
What can you DO with Dragon Bones and Dragon Scales? I have played for over 10 hours and I yet have managed to leave Whiterun...

Also, I love your Pinkie Pie avatar!
Dragon bones are used to make Dragonbone armour (heavy armour, for warriors really)
Dragon scales are used to make Dragonscale armour (Light armour)
I'm still trying to find the guy who makes it for you, but they're the best armour in game I've heard, unless you're a mage then I think the arch-mage robe is the best.

And thanks, she's the best. xD
The sad thing is, not even the man who works the Skyforge can sell you Dragon-Style armour. I guess Bethesda thought that you should feel special being a level 100 smithy because you're the only one who can actually make Dragon armour. I guess shopkeepers can also randomly run into Oblivion once per day, get a few Diedra armour, and sell it for a reasonable price. I mean, Diedras run about everywhere, it's not like you see a dragon every half hour.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Radeonx said:
No, I don't cheat at all.
And I don't have the encumbrance problem. I have the skill that makes heavy armor weightless, and I have a few enchants that increase my total weight limit to well over 400.
This. And upping stamina increases your weight allowance as well (as, I'm sure, has been mentioned by now).

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
Encumbrance is, pretty much always, a pretty annoying feature.

It's annoying in video games, it's annoying in DnD, it's annoying in the Fallouts... I'm sure it's no better in Skyrim.

I really don't see a reason for it... I mean, realistically it doesn't make sense to be carrying 12 blacksmith anvils without a really good excuse for being able to do so, and I understand that. Having to decide which sets of armor you take with you and which weapons you bring along... the idea that you can't do everything... is a fairly interesting mechanic, but I think that's already pretty well covered with proficiency points... just make heavy armor useless if you haven't spent the points on them, make bows miss all the time if you haven't practiced with them or what have you.

Then again, I'm a pack rat, and I suppose if these games didn't make me choose I might wind up buried under an even more annoying pile of useless junk... hard to say. If that's the reason, then it's probably better than the alternative... but I don't relish the "realism" of only being able to carry 50 lbs.

SergeantAnt

Feb 27, 2011
Not in the slightest.

I just sell everything and get rich. Get a house and store important things there, and hell you basically have portable houses with companions.
It can be annoying when you forget to sell stuff though then go out to adventure, only to find out you can't carry anything more until you enter the dungeon :/

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
Why are you people carrying dragon bones and scales around everywhere?

Find a random chest in a random house in a random town, dump it all in there, and when you need it, fast-travel back to the town, nab the stuff, and make like a tree.

Mirror Cage

Dec 6, 2010
I've been fighting the limit since about level 10. But that's because I try to run around with an entire pharmacy on my back. Or maybe its all the ingots I csrry in case I need to do some emergency smithing...

TriggerOnly

Oct 18, 2010
I realised that It was going to be a problem after 1 hour in the game. So I simply saved up for a house is WR. Now I am going to buy house things..... maybe I will redo the bathroom next... or the kitchen.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Mirror Cage said:
I've been fighting the limit since about level 10. But that's because I try to run around with an entire pharmacy on my back. Or maybe its all the ingots I csrry in case I need to do some emergency smithing...
For some reason, I lost it at 'emergency smithing'.

lol

Mostly because I do the same thing. My companion is basically my mule, holding all my work supplies, like ingots and ore.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
I've taken to dumping all my level up things into Stamina. And i'm mostly bow/spells so it's only to sort the encumberance.

EDIT: ARGH I'VE BEEN SELLING MY DRAGON SCALES AND BONES I'M AN IDIOT. Already killed at least 4 :<