Poll: Skyrim in 3rd Person

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Thid person for walking and first person for combat. I find the world more enjoyable to see when it's in 3rd person.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Whateveralot said:
Thid person for walking and first person for combat. I find the world more enjoyable to see when it's in 3rd person.
As above. Third person when exploring, but I switch to first person for combat, and close inspections.

Third person just gives a better oversight I think, since this is yet another game where you can't see your own feet.

I play on easy yes. I finished the main quest ages ago so now Skyrim is just for fun.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
In an outside environment and when walking long distances I will often switch to 3rd person. Mostly 1st person though, combat in 3rd person is even worse than in 1st person. :/

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I play the actual game in first person, but go third person to take screenshots, check myself out, and talk to people. I like the personal feeling for the former, and the detached feeling for the latter.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Depends on the character. And the game.
When it comes to Fallout 3/New Vegas and Oblivion/Morrowind, first person. Just because I really dislike the character animations in those games. They just don't feel good to me. Plus, I just like first person more for ranged combat and in Fallout in particular most of what I play is ranged combat.
In Skyrim, though, it depends entirely on the character. Melee fighters are almost always third person. Archers/sneak characters almost always first person. Mages are a little of both. Depending on the magic being used. Destruction magic is almost always first person. For the rest of the magic, I just choose what I'm feeling (usually third person because I like to see my character).

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
A lot of both. First-person view affords precision to one's crosshairs for looting, shooting, and examining things close-up, while restricting your view to a tiny little FOV. It's more restrictive than immersive, because in real life I have peripheral vision that stretches to 180 degrees (while nowadays a 90 degree FOV is apparently considered excessive). 3rd person mode makes up for that, and I spend my time traveling in said mode. Fighting tends to be mixed between the two, first-person for shooting only... 3rd person for melee, dodging, taking cover, et al.
The scroll-wheel click is my friend in these games.

This is the same whether it's oblivion, skyrim (which I've only played on other people's computers... waiting on legendary edition for under $30), fallout 3 or new vegas.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
To me, on pc, the combat is better in third person.
Archery however is better in first.

Most of the time i spend it in 3rd, looking at the surroundings, having my nice deadric armor to look at and i can dual axe people to death.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I play both in both perspectives.

I like to play in 3rd person when I'm outside exploring because I like seeing the character that I spent a good chunk of the game customizing walk around and interact with the world. I also use it if I ever have to sneak, because I don't feel like I get a good sense of my surroundings if I play in 1st person.

I play in 1st person when I'm in combat, however. I just hate how the camera zooms so goddam far out and away from your character that you're just a speck in the middle of the fray. Seriously, why did they think that was a good idea? Then when you zoom in during combat and you're done you zoom in way too goddam close to your character that it's just so cramped and uncomfortable! So that's why I play in 1st person whenever I'm in combat.

EDIT: Oh, and when I'm talking to people, too. That's when I'm also in 1st person. I hate that the player character doesn't have head tracking, because whenever I'm talking to someone, my character looks like (s)he's just blankly staring out into the distance, not listening to a goddam thing the person is saying.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
only touch 1st person for when i have to aim specifically at something... i like seeing my character that i'm playing, jumping around, doing stupid things, riding Shadowmere into someone's face... the 1st person to me is too crowded, the screen feels congested with either my hands or my weapons taking up the whole damn thing and honestly melee combat is a fuckton easier in 3rd, least for me, and when you're throwing fireballs or lighting, i don't really need to 'aim' for that so muhahaha tossing those left and right...

i also play Khajit, so the fluffy tail may have something to do with it too... but i play all the Fallouts the same way so maybe i just like the feel of seeing my lonely character wandering around... and being able to SEE mostly... seriously, i like sniping as much as the next person, but soon as i'm done i feel slightly clastraphobic with everything in my face... i'm also a fan of things like Demon's Souls, so maybe i'm just into that kinda thing...

spklvr

Jul 2, 2012
Third-person, pretty much all the time. I don't even understand how people can play this game in first person, with the exception of aiming. I have never played a game where I feel this disoriented in first-person. Though I guess I prefer third-person in general. In first I just feel like a pair of floating eyeballs with hands.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Being one of the few people who didn't actually like Skyrim (Yes I do own it, just didn't engage me the way it did so many others) I have no preference.

As far as FO3/FONV go I use first person for a shooty build, and third for a melee build.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
most of the time im in third person. combat is way too clumsy in first person and i like to look at my character.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I use Third just to see the situation I am in. But it is so much easier to target an enemy in first person. Either with magic or with arrows.

So mostly first person and a little third person to get situational awareness.

Keymik

Oct 18, 2008
I play in both first and third person. It really just depends on my current mood.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Third person. I felt that it gave me a better sense of scale and directoin. ANd it looked cooler.

james0192

Meh!
Oct 12, 2009
I play Skyrim almost exclusively in 3rd person. I can't understand how people can handle playing a game with a lot of melee combat in first person, I cant do it.

Naturally I'm the same when it comes to oblivion. Fallout 3/New Vegas I switch between regularly, when I'm walking around, exploring or dealing with one or two enemies I use third but when there's lots of shooting to be done (which is rare as I really like to use the sniper rifle!) I'll switch to first person.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I play both TES and Fallout games in 3rd person most of the time. It's just my personal preference, I like seeing more than the first person view usually allows for. That said, if the space is enclosed or if I'm in combat I usually switch back to 1st person.

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
I tried 3rd person in Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and Skyrim. And I hated it. I mean, I usually do prefer 3rd person, but the strafing animations in these games are absurd. It doesn't look natural at all to me. And it functions as such a huge turn-off that I've played 'em all in 1st person, through and through.

I prefer the kind of 3rd person movement where, unless you're aiming at something, pushing the stick towards myself turns the character. Now I get to stare at the PCs back all the time. Games like Spec Ops: The Line and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier did this very well, I think. I get to enjoy the models more thoroughly.