Poll: So, Depressed Much?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Uh... I have a bad day about once every two weeks where I suddenly decide that life, the world and everything sucks most severely. Then I go and clean the bathroom.

Yeah, that's about it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'm as depressed as the average fourteen year old can be. Luckily, I have a way of dealing with these silly phases of sadness. Read a self-help book xP.
Rawne1980 said:
Nope, never depressed.

Only happiness is allowed in this house.

That's why my wife has 5 sodding cats because nothing says happiness like the smell of cat shit in the morning.
Does it smell like victory ;)? Also, is your name a nod to a certain character from Gaunt's Ghosts?

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Also, how do you cope with this kind of problem?
Cautiously and gradually, at this point.

What gets you through the harder days?
Whatever takes me further away from myself. Music, Games, Books, Movies, sometimes people... I think my experience helps too; looking at yourself and being able to recognize, if not stop the useless 'noise' thoughts that drag you down and realize the tunnel always ends, eventually... Though there have been some points in my life where it's felt like there's no ground floor in hell... But there's been a lot of good, too, and more unexpected treats, along with the hassle, so one soldiers on...

Capatcha: easy as cake

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Never bothered getting diagnosed with anything, but the future being a big hole of empty blackness thing I'm very familiar with. In my better moods it doesn't really go away, just not something I think about. The rest of the time...

Well, Clenozepam, Night Train, and cigarettes.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
I'm diagnosed with depression. It's not as bad as it used to be, but I still have periods in which I feel like utter shit without adequate explanation.

I "get through" days by virtue of the passage of time. I've never been so depressed that I stopped time, so that usually means the day ends eventually (whether it seems like it or not.)

I'm probably not the most brilliant example of how to deal with one's problems.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Been in therapy. Anxiety and Depression. A very wonderful mix. By wonderful I mean crap. But I feel alright when I'm talking about things like video games or just being on these forums. I'm really just apathetic about most things, which is unfortunate. Almost jumped off a bridge when I was a teenager, so there was that. I like to think I'm better, but the problem never really goes away. It's a constant fight. And a lot of fake happiness for the benefit of other people

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I'm not depressed, I'm just unhappy. Or rather I'm not clinically depressed at least, just feel like shit a lot of the time. Still, things could certainly be worse, 'Que Sera, Sera' and all that.

Paladin Anderson

Nov 21, 2011
Not lately actually! I've started taking vitamin B. It increases your metabolism. I've had more energy, lost a bit of weight, and felt generally good.

Turns your pee bright yellow though...

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Bipolar here as well. I take my meds (unlike most of my other family... it seems to be in the blood...) and I'm usually fine. Though someties I forget or run out and am too busy/poor to get em refilled and sometimes I feel, well, suicidal. when that happens I go to my fiance, and just ta;l until the mood passes. I don't know if it helps me feel better but it distracts me and passes the time.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Nope i'm good.

Not really happy, but satisfied more like. I worry about the future but i can believe that things will turn out fine and if they don't i can fix it.

OPTIMISM!

Also, i don't know what that last option on the poll means, so i picked it.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Nope, never been depressed, doubt I ever will. Seems like a fascinating disorder though.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
SkarKrow said:
How many people out there are genuinely diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder involving depression?
Yo.

SkarKrow said:
Also, how do you cope with this kind of problem?
Pills. Probably the most useful advice I've been given is to just let it go, though. I don't mean that in the ignorant, dismissive way you might expect, but rather, I think of depression as a weight that I've carried for so long it's become a reflex to hold onto it. If I just release my grip on it and let it go, if I don't try to fight it or control it but just let it be, it will pass.

SkarKrow said:
What gets you through the harder days?
When it gets real bad, I can't move, so the only option available is to stay there and wait it out.

Vamantha

Aug 2, 2011
I have been diagnosed with manic depression, ADD, ADHD, PTSD, and insomnia as child. As a teenager I was diagnosed with bipolar. There was some debate about it and I believe it was cleared.

Honestly, I felt better when I stopped taking the medication. It takes me a bit longer to deal with certain things, but I feel more alive. When I'm having a bad time I think of my cat, my friends, and all the things I have yet to do. I try to be positive and tell myself you'll get to have fun and enjoy life. It won't take much longer before your able to do those things that you want. Just keep going.

I also try to avoid things and people that set me off into a depressive state. One of my triggers is lack of exercise when I stay at home which will set me off into "I'm fat" land. So, I counter that with going for a walk each day or digging around in the garden.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
If you've been depressed for a long period time then you should let it manifest into something so that way all of your past life spent being sad doesn't go to waste.

Here's some ways to channel your depression (and some real life examples of depression taking shape into something meaningful).

Music Examples: Nine Inch Nails, a band fronted Trent Reznor. Agalloch a metal band or Mount Eerie, a lofi artist.

Writing Examples: Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket or various works by H.P. Lovecraft.

Video Game Examples: Limbo and Braid, two indie side scrolling games.

Visual Art Exampke: Various works of Mike Mignola, a comic book author and artist.

Film Examples: The Royal Tenenbaums, Fight Club, The Truman Show or Edward Scissorhands.

Depression + Creativity = Amazing Art

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I've made quite a few "I'm depressed for reason x" threads on here in multiple different ways. I've found people calling me a shitbag for a dozen pages or so really helps. I'm not being sarcastic. When I have to defend myself to strangers, I actually have to place some value upon myself and it distances me from the depression. Therapeutic trolling, but I'm not in that mood right now.

I just miss a girl. I've missed her for a long time, possibly before I met her and even when I was with her. I can remember how she kissed, how her skin felt, and her smile. I miss staying up until 2 talking to her. I miss catching up, talking about movies, and being there for each other. She was the only real friend I've ever had. Some days I'll be fine, then I'll be sitting on the couch crying when something random reminds me of her. I'm addicted to chat roulette and I search almost every night for another girl like her (that's how we met). I always end up doing something I regret and feeling crappy about myself. I'm very lonely. Regardless of the multiple people telling me to snap out of it, get "out there," and live my life, I can't. I can't/won't get therapy for it and I have no idea how that would even help. It's a lonely town/state/country/world. Nowhere to go. That one girl might be as good as it gets for me. Sad is sad. Hopeless is hopeless. Unemployed is unemployed.

Right now I'm listening to Leonard Cohen. Not early Leonard Cohen. That would be suicidal. Older Leonard Cohen gives a nice texture to my pain. It's the old man voice of a guy who lived a full life and singing about lost love and dying soon and accepting it. If it's really manic crazed pain, I've found forcing myself to read a book helps.

I also go on that Crisis Chat website and talk to those people, but I've gotten cut off a time or two and there can be a wait. They're never on Sundays, which are always the worst. They never solve your problems, but I've gotten to venting and crying so much that whatever chemical in my brain that comes out when crying numbs the pain to the point where I can't feel anything anymore. It's not a good feeling, but it's not pain.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Eyup. Clinically diagnosed about 5 years ago with depression and anxiety, as well as being surrounded by constant shit. Today was an especially shitty day as well. I was sick, had to call into work, which was pretty crappy, then later on I found out my mentally disturbed, alcoholic, crazy, prostitute sister got knocked up by a crazy, mentally disturbed, convicted killer. That's just... Oh God, Why? None of us can take it for her. I'm too young, my mother is too old, my dad is a piece of shit and my other sister has too many kids of her own. This is on top of everything else that has been crazy, leading me to think my life is a secret soap opera.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
I think it's very likely that I have it. I don't want to diagnose myself, and I've never been to a psychiatrist to prove as much, but I do meet almost all of the criteria for it. A good friend of mine has a particularly bad case of it and seeing him in one of his low states makes me feel depressed too since he's such a great person outside of his depression.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Depression?
Nope, it's actually really hard to depress me, only thing that makes me feel bad is being unable to help someone, and I do get really obsessive with that, but other than that I don't get sad often, I tend to be quite jolly most of the time, but most people say I'm a grump and I'm always bored or annoyed, kind of odd but I guess that even when I'm happy I looked quite bored, I'm also bizarrely optimistic when something bad happens to me or someone I know, which is odd because I always assume the worst will happen, but oh well I'm just really hard to bring down because I genuinely think I'm awesome, though I'm also aware that I could be better.