Poll: So... Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2?

Apr 5, 2008
Jaeke said:
Diablo 3:
Pros:
-Insured AAA quality, Blizzard maybe many things but one thing for sure is that they don't have a history for low-yielding and uninticing games

-This one is both: Constant Online. I list this primarily as a pro, I thought a good while about this and this is what I decided.
- I'm sure you mean "Assured", not "Insured". Unless you're stating that you've taken out an insurance policy to cover you in the event the title not being AAA quality, which I find quite unlikely. :) Also, it's "enticing". ;-)

- Constant Online is a pro? No, that is wrong, absolutely wrong. Having online features is a pro. Having multiplayer is (usually) a pro. Having social features, trading, (pseudo) persistence, scoreboards and so on are pros. Forcing you to remain online at all times even if you use none of these features is a CON and can only ever be a negative. Surely you can see the difference between having the ability to go online and use online features and being forced to go online even if you don't use online features?

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Why isn't both an option? Both should be an option. I'm sure as hell getting both.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
LOL @ "Torchlight 2 is a new IP". Did you miss the 2, TC?

OT: Yeah, Torchlight 2. I'm not a fan of pay to win games. Especially when you're forced to play online.

EDIT: I would have prefered to say DeathSpank 4, but that sadly does not exist.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Rooster Cogburn said:
Snowblindblitz said:
ecoho said:
torchlight 2 why? 4 words real money auction house. pay to win = me no play:)
Make sure you don't trade or use the regular auction house, because, by your definition they are pay to win. Pay to win implies the items are spawned into the game, which they are not in this situation. Players are just charging an alternative currency for the items they spend the hours grinding.

I don't mind you not liking it, but I hate how people mistake it for pay to win.
The 'alternative currency' is money. It is pay-to-win in every way that matters to people who don't like pay-to-win.
Funny story. You can buy stuff on the RMAH without ever spendin a dime of your own money.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
If you don't spend IRL $ and someone else does, he will, on average, have an advantage over you.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
shintakie10 said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
Snowblindblitz said:
ecoho said:
Make sure you don't trade or use the regular auction house, because, by your definition they are pay to win. Pay to win implies the items are spawned into the game, which they are not in this situation. Players are just charging an alternative currency for the items they spend the hours grinding.

I don't mind you not liking it, but I hate how people mistake it for pay to win.
The 'alternative currency' is money. It is pay-to-win in every way that matters to people who don't like pay-to-win.
Funny story. You can buy stuff on the RMAH without ever spendin a dime of your own money.
Or you can buy it with money. That's what matters.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Admiral Stukov said:

I would like to point out that when Ubisoft did their always online for singleplayer people was up in arms.

Give me one valid reason to have queuing in singleplayer and I will buy a physical copy of D3 and eat it.

So yeah tl;dr Torchlight 2.
Pretty much this. It seems every time a big issue surrounding a new game is brought up more and more gamers reveal themselves as hopeless hypocrites.

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
Server issues or not I'm having a blasty-blast in Diablo right now. Granted I'm playing in the "off" hours to completely circumvent lag and full server issues.

Torchlight II does look fun though (played a tiny bit of Torchlight I). Had it come out earlier I totally would've been all over that. Alas, timing is a *****...and to be honest all torchlight was to me was a ok substitute for my Diablo cravings. The real deal is here now so no need to continue my drm-free "indie" diet.lol

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Das Boot said:
I can finally answer the poll in this thread. I say Diablo 3 because although I dont want either it was given to me by a friend so I could play with her online.

Oh yea and since I am installing it right now I should comment that the music is fucking awesome. I am putting my money on it being the best part of the actual game.

Vigormortis said:
[edit]
Do you know what's even more hilarious? Some of the posters I've seen defending and excusing this Always-On DRM for Diablo 3 are the same posters I regularly see start entire threads to ***** about Steam and it's (comparatively) milder DRM. As if Steam is the blight of the gaming industry and Battle.net is the God-sent savior.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go laugh at the incredible lunacy of it all.
Since I could possibly be considered one of those people I should state that my reasons for hating steam have nothing at all to do with always having to be online. I dont think battle.net is the god-sent savior though.
My point is, you don't have to always be online with Steam. You can access and play all of your games without an internet connection. But with Diablo 3, you have no choice. It's online or not at all.

The hypocrisy comes from people bitching about Steam requiring online activation of games, but then defending Diablo 3 requiring a constant connection to the B.net servers. (not sure where you got the idea that I was implying Steam is always online too)

Out of curiosity, if I may ask, what grievances do you have with Steam if not the online aspect of it?

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Diablo 3. Just because I haven't the money to pick up Torchlight 2, I'm talking about Diablo 3 Beta before anyone asks how I could afford Diablo 3 and not Torchlight 2.

Captcha: end of story

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
shintakie10 said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
Snowblindblitz said:
ecoho said:

Only if the person selling the item is willing to take that virtual money.

Let's be honest here people. If someone has some uber-powerful ultra-rare item are they really going to be okay with just taking in-game gold?

For that matter, when most people learn that they can sell their stuff for real money, do you really think anyone will want to take in-game gold?

Rhetorical question. The answers is an almost universal "no".

The Auction House in principle doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the insane amount Blizzard takes from each transaction. (which, in-and-of itself wouldn't be THAT bad if it weren't for the fact that Blizzard has full control over the quality and quantity of rare items that show up in the game)

So basically what we have is the equivalent of a company making and selling products on the commodities market; when they themselves control the commodities market.

That's just messed up.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I'm looking forward much more to Torchlight 2 but I'll probably still get Diablo 3 at some point.

Maniclings

Jan 14, 2010
I don't mind the always online thing at all. The game will have no spammy advertising bots and no hacked/duped items. There will be no bot farming for items, all of that crap. This is good imo. If I am going to be upset with anyone about it I'm going to be upset with the people that cause the problem in the first place. Filty dirty pirates and hackers.

Honestly the self entitled bullshit people that pirate come up with is pathetic. You don't deserve to play a game without paying for it just because you are some person in existance, you don't deserve the ability to hack items and ruin the game for everyone because you can't handle losing. If all those self entitled little idiots didn't exist companies wouldn't have to put some controlling measures on their games.

The auction house is not a bad thing either, people traded items with money or other items in D2, this has been a part of the game. Now all the gold you collect actually means something, weather you use it for crafting, or buying items in the auction house, there is a reason for it.
You don't even have to use the auction house, and it won't even effect you if you don't use it. The items have to actually drop in the game for them to go on the auction house, and if I found a super rare awesome item I'm keeping it. If someone wants to sell it and someone wants to buy it, what difference did it actually make? it doesn't sit in someones iventory?

I really don't see anything cartoony about D3s graphics, I think they are really good and I love the concept art, sure they aren't some crazy amazing super realistic graphics, but they are very good and solid and I am happy the budget wasn't blown on stupid graphics so the rest of the game had to suffer. and the CG is the best I have seen ever anyway so yeah. The graphics are really like updated d2 graphics I mean come on the levels heading up to the butcher were not cartoony or rainbows and happiness at all. ._.;

The game is alot harder too, I saying this from a HC perspective, like you have no quick town portal there is a crazy long cool down on your health potions, there is no quick exit from the game, there is no looting from the allies corpse. There are lots of ways you can get trapped and die, I'm pretty scared of what it is going to be like in nightmare.

I can't really saying anything about the skills as I havn't really played far enouph to see how they are going to work out. But I do like the way you can switch them around as you play rather than just being stuck with 1 or 2 for the whole game. This means you can plan different ways of defeating bosses and clearing dungeons. I think it will be interesting to see how they go, and I actually have to find items that give me lots of dex for my DH instead of just massing the dex stat.

I only played a tiny bit of torch light, my bf bought the 4pack thing so he passed me on a torchlight copy, it doesn't seem like a bad game but I didn't find it as fun as diablo 2 or 3, and I really didn't like the way I had to feel like such a slut as the archer, wearing basically nothing and showing off boobs and ass and stomach in such an overt way, I mean honestly can't they just get over that kind of thing... I will play it eventually I guess but so far I am having so much fun with D3 which is a completely awesome great game, I wish I could take 2 weeks off from uni to play it like my bf took 2 weeks off work :(.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
ecoho said:
Snowblindblitz said:
ecoho said:

no pay to win is when you use real money to buy an advantage. Using an ingame AH or tradeing requires you to play the game, earn currincy ,and get items they can trade. Now please dont post till youve done more research and know what your talking about.
Pay to win implies it's spawned into the game. You cannot argue that point. Those same items can be bought by in game currency, and still involve a player investing the time into attaining those items.

Pay to win is spawning items into the game that did not exist prior to this: in this case, they already exist in that another player spent the time or crafting necessary to make it, and then chose to sell it for an alternative currency rather then the in-game one.

If anything, it's pay to be lazy. Which already existed in these games anyways. The "advantage" is available to any player willing to put the time in, not just those willing to slap down money. And clearly anyone can obtain, because someone has to first unlock/find/create the item before it can even appear on the AH.

Don't get rude, when clearly you don't understand the concept yourself, you just jump on the hate train.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
WOah torchlight in the lead after D3 launch????

Nice!

I wonder if its the result of the poor launch, with the d3 single player being prevented by downed servers