Poll: So, do you talk to yourself ?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Does it count when I just say random things or as a reaction to whatever I've seen on the pc screen? If it does than yes but I don't exactly talk long, just a few phrases.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
Yes. I happen to have a penchant for... intelligent conversation. Yesss.

*talks like Beast Wars Megatron for the rest of the day*

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
Yep. Most of it is internal though like asking myself "did I remember to hide the bodies turn the lights off" or " I wonder if he knows that his shoes are on fire."

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Sebass said:
I can't be the only one right .. ?
You're on a website called 'The Escapist'. Of course you're not the only one.

I do it. I'll sometimes vocalize what I'm typing in a forum post or text response while I'm typing it up, I'll imagine up possible conversation branches for various people, I'll sometimes say out loud things I should be doing that I'm procrastinating because I'm lazy. Swear at my electronics when they decide to be difficult, say what my next course of action in a video game should be, or just little throwaway phrases like "Aw shet, I should get some food!"

Things like 'conversing' with myself or asking myself questions are usually things I keep in my head rather than speaking, though. Actually, I only usually vocalize conversations with other people if I'm in an argument with them that's not face-to-face. If I'm worked up I'll start thinking up what their possible responses to me could be, and what my responses to that would be, and I can't typically keep it all in my head when I'm angry.

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
Sometimes, talking to yourself is the only time you can have an intelligent conversation with someone.

dslatch

Apr 15, 2009
People often say it must be hell in my mind... talking to my self is safety release valve if anything.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I feel there's a difference in 'talking to yourself' and 'thinking out loud.' I think outloud when doing a complex task it usually takes the form of checking off what has been done and what needs to be done.

felbot

May 11, 2011
its pretty much the only thing i did until i was 7, and i still do that mostly, honestly prefer it to talking to real people, in my head i dont stutter and give stupid answers atleast.

aether-x3

Jul 15, 2010
Yep.

I had a onesided conversation with a spider that was in my bath once, sometimes I talk to myself but not on purpose; its because no one heard what i said...

I had a conversation with myself on a piece of paper once.

i could go on.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
quite a bit really, I'm an actor and like to keep my voice and emotions in shape by having random conversations with myself, typically its nothing all that off the wall but I feel like it helps out a lot.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I do, whenever my brother catches me he asks hows my game of mumble peg is going (Family Guy joke). Always come up with a witty response.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'm actually amazed at the amount of people that do talk to themselves. And they say it is a sign of madness - perhaps it is madness not to talk to yourself.

Seriously though, I'll often speak aloud if something needs some serious thinking or I'm very angry at something and need an outlet to let off some anger and voicing my opinion. That involves when I'm playing online.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I don't see anyone else here, so you must have been talking to me...

All the time, to everything.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
When I'm alone I think aloud quite a lot. Sometimes it's just out of boredom or if something particularly annoys me and I have a strong reaction I will say something out loud. Saying stuff out loud helps me remember things as well like If I say to myself "Need to get milk today" I find I will remember it better.

I also do a podcast so when I get a good idea of a topic to talk about I will talk about it out loud a little and plan out what I will say when we record. That's normal...right?

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Voted: "Yes, I do this regularly when I'm alone"
It really helps me figure things out, to be honest. Like, from personal problems, to friend problems, to work problems, etc., it'll be some problem I can't quite get my head around, say it aloud, and then be like "Oh! Duh, that's obvious." As if just saying it out loud makes it immediately easier to understand.
Generally, if I say things out loud I can think of how other people might respond, and how I'd respond to their response. How I would respond is what helps me figure out and cement my reasoning behind things...

Also, the poll results make me feel a bit better about talking to myself haha. I knew others did it, I didn't think that this many did. XD

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Of course I talk to myself. You seem surprised like anyone else on this planet is as interesting to talk to as me.