Poll: So, do you talk to yourself ?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
No. I think aloud.

I do not ask myself questions and then respond to them as if I were two people.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Yup all the time. I do the usual cursing at inanimate objects and I'll sometimes just voice my thoughts out loud (most of the time it's unconscious). I'll also start arguing with myself whenever my subconsciousness drags up some memory or thought I don't want to deal with at the moment. I usually loose.

Also, I find it really helps with writing if I voice the characters for a single conversation or sometimes even a whole scene instead of just sitting down and writing it out. I get to add infliction to the sentences and hear "them" interact with each other organically.

I'm not insane... am I?
Captcha: Pipe Dream.
Excuse me while I go check myself into a mental facility...

Edit in response to the addendum: It hardly ever comes up. Once or twice someone walked in on me talking to myself and I just kind of trailed off and attempted to disguise it as a very bad cough. It didn't really work... Another time I was acting out a totally bad ass confrontation between the hero and the main antagonist and I just kept going. Turned out pretty good actually.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I'll swear at things if I hurt myself, but that's it. I generally don't talk much, except to the dog.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Yep. Usually in the shower I sometimes practice conversations I know I will have during the day, even if they're just banal conversations. After knowing someone for a while, I usually know what they will say so it helps to have those conversations. I also talk to myself whenever I'm doing work. It helps me focus. Sometimes I also "redo" earlier conversations and review them, to see how I could have responded better.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose opinion I respect!

Sorry, for some reason I had to say that.
Anyway I do talk to myself. From time to time when I'm alone (which is most of the time). It helps with dealing with hypothetical scenarios and some issues I don't generally want to face and/or think about. On rare occasions I even talk to myselfs when only one different perspective isn't enough.

I'm not crazy!
Right?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Yep. It kind of helps me remember to do certain things:

"Okay, I should probably get started on that English essay"

I also usually talk to myself when I'm playing a game. I express my thoughts on certain aspects of the game like I was some kind of let's player on Youtube.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I used to, all the time when I lived in a house with my family and was alone and/or didn't care if my family heard me (they did think it was a bit weird, and I usually tried not to get caught doing it) most of the time it was when I was angry with something inanimate like the computer or an online video game. Now that I'm at college and generally surrounded by people who would judge me negatively for it, I've been able to restrain it.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Only when I swear to myself or give myself some words of encouragement. Apart of that, I don't really do it.

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
Actually I don't talk to myself... I rehearse conversations I know I'm going to have aloud though.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Legion said:
No. I think aloud.

I do not ask myself questions and then respond to them as if I were two people.
Well now I just feel crazy for actually asking myself questions and responding to them... as if I were two people..

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
You are not the only one who talks to themselves my beautiful unique snowflake. I have extremely logical arguments with myself at times. I genuinely do it all the time on the toilet and when I'm in bed. I do have a very over active imagination. Also my Dad does it when watching sport. He just shouts. My cousin also does it around people, just mutters to himself

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Yep, a lot of people say, "talking to yourself again?"
It's usually about what I'm gonna do.
You always hear what you wanna hear when you talk to yourself and you don't fall out with any one.

Also because no one else listens to me, but Emilee always has time for Emilee.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I tend to think of plans and ideas out loud, so it's a big fat yes even if other people are around. Does sometimes get a question from people who don't know me and may cause me to go off on a tangent to what I was doing.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Palademon said:
Good morning, Me. How are you?

I'm fine, Me. Yourself?

I don't know, Me. I think I may be going crazy.

Whatever do you mean, Me?

I'm afraid you'll have to go.

What are you talking about? No, Me! Put down the gun!

captcha: dead ringer

You're an identity thief and you must die!
Haha, I was skimming through the thread and started reading your post and then by the 5th line I was like, "Holy crap this took a dark turn!"

In response to the thread, no I do not talk to myself. Once I a blue moon I may yell out an obscenity but beyond that nothing.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Not only do i talk to myself, i sing and have entire conversations (often with different voices) with myself.

Bacaruda

Jul 10, 2011
Wow, ~88% talk to them self regularly. I never thought that many people talk to them self. Or maybe it's just the escapist community?

Only time I "talk" to myself is when I swear at inanimate objects.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
I'm always talking to myself, although if I'm working on something I'll usually end up arguing with myself (no idea how, it just starts to happen and it feels weird).

Helps a lot to stay focused in the lab (or 'Mordin mode' as a few colleagues have coined it).