Poll: So they're finally making a Halo movie

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Didn't they already do something similar with Halo: Legends? There was definitely a short CGI episode on that.

Either way, it could be cool. But Halo needs to move on from Master Chief and explore the other characters in more depth, like in ODST. With Microsoft at the helm, I'm not holding my breath

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
If theirs one thing that makes halo shit, it's the characters. Thus, any movie will also have shit characters, and be a shit movie.

Only if they completely move away from Master Chief, then they might get an interesting film going.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
A Halo movie could work brilliantly if they focus on the Marines instead of the Chief. Let Masterchief be an invisible driving force; you never actually get to see him, but you notice the results.

The film could follow a group of Marines and how they cope with always being in the shadow of Masterchief, always seeming so inferior, feeble and weak compared to that super soldier that seems to win the war on his own, not something you'd expect a Marine to feel.

It could be a very interesting, very human story focussing on subjects like pride and humility, betrayal and desertion, comradery, sacrifice. A story about how the proud defenders of human kind are degraded to the little guys in the background and how they're dealing with that.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
I don't think a movie set in the Halo universe would be any good. It just isn't material that would translate well to a movie.

I mean, games just don't work well as movies. Sure, Super Metroid was a great game, but it would make for a terrible movie.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Jacco said:
What do you think about this? Are you excited for the prospect of a Halo movie or are you against the very idea?
There is an option missing from the poll:

"Only if it's any good."

There's a definite yes a definite no, a weak no and an abstain answer, gimme a weak yes and we're golden.,

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I like video games .... I like movies.

At no point in time should those two mix ......... EVER.

Farcry, Bloodrayne and Resident Evil (which really wasn't Resident Evil it was just another generic zombie flick with names in you happened to recognise) to name a few off the top of my head. Max Payne, Doom, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat (okay the first one was tolerable but Mortal Kombat 2 ..... come on, people usually spend time in jail for lesser torture than that tripe caused and folks actually paid money to watch it) and we can't forget Final Fantasy - the spirits within .... words can't do justice to how terrible that film was.

Although I grant you that Uwe Boll was responsible for taking Bloodrayne and (and Michael Madson) and ruining it to the point where it resembles Frank Bruno's boxing career.

The same can be said of the reverse aswell.

Games should never be made about films. The rarely turn out to be decent and when they do turn out good it's more of a fluke than fantastic game design.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
A Halo movie is overdue. It would be nice to see a live action one.

Jacco said:
tehlordofmyownworld said:
I wonder if its going to be like the OTHER Halo movie..Y'know, the one they never released?
What other Halo movie they never released?
A few years back there was one in production. Peter Jackson was the director, but then the whole thing fell through for some reason and Jackson went on to make "District 9" instead.

There is some footage of what there was of it floating around youtube that I have seen a couple times, I'm just too tired to go looking for it.

Cowabungaa said:
A Halo movie could work brilliantly if they focus on the Marines instead of the Chief. Let Masterchief be an invisible driving force; you never actually get to see him, but you notice the results.

The film could follow a group of Marines and how they cope with always being in the shadow of Masterchief, always seeming so inferior, feeble and weak compared to that super soldier that seems to win the war on his own, not something you'd expect a Marine to feel. It could be a very interesting, very human story.
The human thing would only work if they made a movie out of a not Spartan involved storyline like ODST.

If the movie is of a battle/operation that Master Chief was in, then it has to involve and show him. I would be pissed if they did a Halo movie that deals with something that the Chief was involved in but didn't show him. Even if it was the human story you pitched, they couldn't get away with not showing the Chief. Besides, if that made a movie that involved the Chief but didn't show him, there would be way too much fan backlash for them to safely attempt it. As things like this are, there would be more than one movie, and alienating the fan base with the first movie would seriously hurt the chance of a second movie, and the company making the movie wouldn't risk that.

Aug 1, 2010
Opening fanboy thoughts: OMGWTFHOLYSHITBBQASDFGHJKLLASDFNLEVQVN YES!!!!!!!!1!!ONE.

Later, more coherent thoughts: I'll see it, but it will probably be a betrayal of the games I have come to adore.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
The human thing would only work if they made a movie out of a not Spartan involved storyline like ODST.

If the movie is of a battle/operation that Master Chief was in, then it has to involve and show him. I would be pissed if they did a Halo movie that deals with something that the Chief was involved in but didn't show him. Even if it was the human story you pitched, they couldn't get away with not showing the Chief. Besides, if that made a movie that involved the Chief but didn't show him, there would be way too much fan backlash for them to safely attempt it. As things like this are, there would be more than one movie, and alienating the fan base with the first movie would seriously hurt the chance of a second movie, and the company making the movie wouldn't risk that.
I don't care that much about a fan backlash. I want to see a good movie, not a piece of fanservice.

Thing is, there are a lot of Marines. Ultimately, all of them are basically degraded to being Masterchief's Little Helpers, but how many of them would actually see the Masterchief? I could imagine that for a large part of the military he's some mythical warrior that does all kinds of amazing stuff that's felt everywhere. Some sort of Hercules, a demi-god.

That's the kind of thought I want to bring across, that'd be the entire root where all those doubts and bottled up anger from the main characters (those Marines) comes from; they're being shoved out of the way by some fairytale made real. Showing the Chief would break that spell.

The ODST could be involved as well; arrogant assholes who look down upon those 'worthless Marines', because they still do pretty important things on their own, which would only further fuel the main character's frustration, their feelings of impotence.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Halo?

That's the thing angels have on their head isn't it?
Wasn't John Travolta in a film where he was an angel or something, surely we don't need another one.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Cowabungaa said:

The film could follow a group of Marines and how they cope with always being in the shadow of Masterchief, always seeming so inferior, feeble and weak compared to that super soldier that seems to win the war on his own, not something you'd expect a Marine to feel.

It could be a very interesting, very human story focussing on subjects like pride and humility, betrayal and desertion, comradery, sacrifice. A story about how the proud defenders of human kind are degraded to the little guys in the background and how they're dealing with that.
I think it would be more interesting to build a movie around the Spartans but to actually give them faces, yes, even the Chief. One of the books gave character to the Spartans and it was pretty well done. If they could do that around a decent story, then it would be a highly successful movie.

an_luas

Jun 27, 2010
If done right a Halo Movie would be a good film for you to turn off your brain for a bit and just watch the cool stuff happen

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Crag Hack said:
I hope Uwe Boll directs it, just so i can see fanboys cry as their beloved franchise crumbles to dust.
I totally second this sentiment.

Didn't they make some animated Halo movies a while ago and the fanboys cried cause Japan "Gayed Halo up?" Which is especially ironic considering how much male homo-eroticism occurs during the average Halo multiplayer match.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Kagobin said:
Halo:Reach was the reason I bought and eventually sold an Xbox 360.

Never Again.

OT: I would actually be interested in seeing something like this.
same but with Halo 3, and i still have mine.
also, the first thing i thought when i saw this:
yes.

and it comes out the day after my 16th birthday, which will probably be its rating.