Poll: So where have all the VR talk gone?

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Myria said:
Jingle Fett said:
This guy lost over 50 pounds just by playing VR (no joke) [https://uploadvr.com/man-loses-50-pounds-playing-soundboxing/]
Sorry, that is a joke, and rather a bad one.

The article states that he played the game for about 20 minutes at first, then up to 90 minutes. Call it one hour per day for five months. Being generous, one hour of light aerobic activity like that might burn 150 kcal. So roughly 150 days times 150 calories is 22,500 kcal total. One pound of adipose tissue is roughly 3,500 kcal, coming out to around 6.4lbs. And that's assuming no compensatory reduction in NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogensis), which there almost certainly would be, no compensatory change in diet, and all the rest of that rot.

I'm a personal trainer by trade, and one of the first things I tell weight loss clients is that if they're in the gym to lose weight they're in the wrong place. The kitchen is where you lose or gain weight. Exercise has a host of benefits, but short of professional athletes or those who basically live at a gym its actual effect on your body's energy equation are fairly minimal. For the average person ~70% of your body's daily caloric burn is BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, just what it takes to keep you alive), ~10% is TEF (Thermic Effect of Food, what it costs to digest the food you eat), most of the rest is NEAT. You can move the equation around a few percentage points if you're really motivated, but in most instances you'll end up compensating (usually overcompensating) by subconsciously reducing NEAT, increasing caloric intake, or, most often, both.The comparative difference studies I've seen have generally shown nothing more (and often quite a lot less) than a 7-10% difference in loss rates between dieters in an exercise program and those not, with the only meaningful difference being that those in a program were more likely to keep it off (though, sadly, neither group was all that likely to).

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, but this is a real pet peeve of mine since I deal with some variation of it darn near every day. I doubt it's even mathematically possible to lose ten pounds a month (a rate well above anything safe or sustainable, by the way, chances are depressingly high he'll put it back on and more ta' boot) by any form of exercise, let alone something as relatively mild as playing a VR game.

Unfortunately people have been sold the idea that obesity is a matter of lack of physical activity. At best that's a gross oversimplification, at worst it's flat out wrong. Fundamentally weight is a thermodynamics equation, calories in versus calories out. You have complete control over calories in, but only very minimal control over calories out.

You're reading too much into this and you're taking it out of the context of my post. The point of posting those articles wasn't the amount of weight that was lost, it was the fact that VR involves physical activity and can be used for exercise. Nobody loses weight like that without also changing their food habits, that should be obvious to anyone. Saying that he lost 50 pounds by playing VR doesn't mean literally only VR and nothing else.
In the interview with him [http://www.pcgamer.com/how-one-man-lost-over-50-pounds-playing-a-vr-game/], he specifically says:
Just have fun, hit the beats, don't worry if you miss a beat, just keep going. Keep sweating. And I'm living proof, and I promise you, if you keep at it-and obviously yes, drink lots of water and control your calories a little, that's also something that's important we don't leave out, it wasn't just VR that did it. I stayed a little lower carb, and watched my calories to less than 2,000 a day..
It's the same deal with other article I posted about the guy on the VR bicycle (who also lost 50 pounds).

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Jingle Fett said:
The Serious Sam games have a similiar solution where it gives you tunnel vision whilst you're moving, and can also be turned off.

I still haven't tried Google Earth. I think it has Oculus support now, so I'll have to get on it.
Oh cool, I didn't know the Serious Sam games have free movement, I thought it was teleportation based only. Definitely going to check it out now, haven't had much time to do VR related stuff for a while due to busy schedule.
The last VR game I bought was Arizona Sunshine, I've really enjoyed it. It uses the teleportation similar to The Lab so no free movement but it works quite well (I believe it supports Oculus as well). On the Vive it does a neat thing where you squeeze the grip buttons to pick up objects, which makes stuff feel more believable.

Apr 24, 2008
Jingle Fett said:
Jingle Fett said:
The Serious Sam games have a similiar solution where it gives you tunnel vision whilst you're moving, and can also be turned off.

I still haven't tried Google Earth. I think it has Oculus support now, so I'll have to get on it.
Oh cool, I didn't know the Serious Sam games have free movement, I thought it was teleportation based only. Definitely going to check it out now, haven't had much time to do VR related stuff for a while due to busy schedule.
The last VR game I bought was Arizona Sunshine, I've really enjoyed it. It uses the teleportation similar to The Lab so no free movement but it works quite well (I believe it supports Oculus as well). On the Vive it does a neat thing where you squeeze the grip buttons to pick up objects, which makes stuff feel more believable.
They patched in free-movement for Arizona Sunshine. Something worth checking out. I only played a little at my brothers house. Gotta get that steam-share thing set-up so I don't have to pay out to play the game.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Jingle Fett said:
Jingle Fett said:

They patched in free-movement for Arizona Sunshine. Something worth checking out. I only played a little at my brothers house. Gotta get that steam-share thing set-up so I don't have to pay out to play the game.
Well whaddya know, it seems you're right. You have to change it in the settings menu because the teleporting is the default setting but it is indeed there. Pleased to say it works quite well, more or less the same as it works in google earth. No dizziness after an hour of gameplay, so that's great.

Jerast

Jul 17, 2015
I had the Vive, and the problem I had was it made me so sick I couldn't play after an hour. Not sick as in a little dizzy, it literally forced me to have to lie down for a few hours afterwards.

Until then I was mostly unimpressed with the game selection anyway, but it was still unfortunate I had to give it away.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
My experience with VR so far started with the cheap phone mounts that you put on your face. Wasn't too bad if I'm honest, for watching some videos. I then tried Samsung gear vr. Actually much better with the tracking and UI. But never got much beyond that.

What it would take for me to get into VR is for the price to come down, and that's it. I'm still interested in buying a set, but it would almost primarily be for driving sims, and not much else. I have a pretty elaborate rig and chassis set up, which I think would be great with VR. However, my hang up is the total immersion and cutting yourself from the world for extended periods of time. It would be for short stints only, and that's where the price point comes in.

I would be very keen to try it with games like Subnautica, but only for the exploration part of it. Subnautica can get like Minecraft where you are just grinding like hell for resources for very little progress, and I think wearing the headset for these extremely long periods could have some negative effects on your eyesight and maybe motion sickness.

I'd love to try it for real with Dirt Rally or Assetto Corsa though.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
no one believed me last year when i kept calling VR a gimmick and a fad but low and behold, here we are a year later in 2017 and just like i said, no one gives a shit about or talks about VR gaming anymore.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Yoshi178 said:
no one believed me last year when i kept calling VR a gimmick and a fad but low and behold, here we are a year later in 2017 and just like i said, no one gives a shit about or talks about VR gaming anymore.
Except it's not. I made this thread 2 months ago. And realised that the eternal escapist cynics don't give a shit about gaming and technological advancements of said medium. So ive flocked to the psvr subreddit.

Then again, when has the gaming community ever been positive about anything. Hell you know it, you make Nintendo threads and everyone just dumps hate on you. I for one and too old for this shit. Too much hate, you'd think gamers would actually enjoy the medium they spend their time and money on.

I bought my PSVR at the end of june, i wanted to make a thread about it but decided against it because i know how its going to end. Hate and cynisim from people whos never tried it.

I barely post here ( or on any gaming site anymore) there is no more discussions or constructive criticism. It's just not worth it.

And thats why this site and sites like this one are dying. You can't have an eternal spiral of hate without peole getting fatigued.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
I remember all the hype........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEIJP3eDc8M

.....and then Jurrasic Park showed how graphics should be used, and I had my hair cut into curtains.