Poll: So where have all the VR talk gone?

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
miladin said:
Well, windows VR devices (Acer VR and HP VR) are available for pre-order (for developers right now, for consumers in a late summer)

COST: ONLY 300USD.(400 with motion controllers)
Expensive computer is not needed. It will run on Intel integrated graphics. (But I think it will not work with outdated hardware)
You can research more about these devices on Google.

It uses inside-out tracking, so no need for complicated setup.

Only possible drawback could be LCD screen of those devices. We need to wait for reviews. And it is questionable will it be suitable for gaming.

Lenovo and Asus are also making low-cost W10 devices.

HTC and google are making new mobile standalone device with positional tracking. It don't require either PC or mobile phone.

We will hear more about all those devices at E3.
Thanks for the insightful post. And welcome first post! Any idea if those are going to be for gaming at all? Or what they are aiming to do with those devices and what kind of content they will have?

miladin

May 22, 2017
I am waiting for E3 to hear more info. I think that some light gaming will be available for it. Something that does not require too much graphical power. Well, it may depend on the PC that you have. It could have demanding games also.

I think MS is aiming this to be virtual windows. Like you are inside windows.

Now depending on the clarity of screens, you could have personal theater. And on that screen you could play regular 2d games also. Acer headset is lighter than Vive/Oculus (350g)

We will see

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
VR to me will never be appealing until it's like the Matrix. Until then, it's beneficial overall that there's enough support for these iterations in order to eventually get to that point.

I was just thinking of how awesome it'd be to have a Gran Turismo or Wipeout in VR, or Mortal Kombat. That would be some freaky ish-tay.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
CoCage said:
Not exactly that similar, but it's still.
"But still" what? Like the other poster I've yet to see ANY kind of fair argument that even comes close to making the two seem comparable. Comparing VR to smart phones is far more accurate.

(and, along those lines, VR is actually doing far better as a new technology in terms of uptake, adoption, and advancement than smart phones ever did)

Overly-priced? Check.
Overpriced? How? If anything, the things are underpriced for the tech that's in them.

Please elaborate. I'm eager to hear the opinion of an expert on the technology.

Hyped up to be not all that great with barely a few exceptions? Check.
Again, how so? Have you tried one? Do you know anyone that has, personally?

I get that it's easy to sit there behind your keyboard and sling shit at the tech and anyone that's used it, often based on nothing more than your personal assumptions or some random jackoff on Youtube, but until you've actually tried the tech how do you know?

I'm yet to find anyone who's tried my Vive who wasn't completely blown away, with many wanting to come over again and again to try it once more. And I've had dozens upon dozens of friends, family, and co-workers over to try it out. Hell, just yesterday I was at a friends house and he, his wife and kids, and another friend, all had a go with it and everyone was having a blast. While each person took a turn playing one of the games, the rest of us sat around on the couches watching what them while seeing what they were seeing on the TV.

Anyone who says VR is an inherently solo experience has no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Yesterday was a prime example of how even a single HMD can be a social experience.

People with too much time and money on their hands? Check.
So nothing objectively critical of the tech, just an ad-hominem because you've got nothing. Got it. I see how this conversation'll go...

And just so we're clear, I have both a very busy life and am not made of money. I had to pinch and save to be able to buy my Vive. Yet, it was money well spent. The fun I and my loved ones have had with it over the last year was more than worth the asking price. And my current work on my own VR software may even make it a lucrative investment.

VR, and 3D to lesser extent, have this problem of coming back every 5-10 years and making the same mistake of being hyped up to do this and that,
I know! It's almost like technology advances and becomes better, more powerful, and more adaptable over time. Who'd've thunk it?!

when at the end of the day, most people want to sit on their asses and use regular controllers.
Wanna know what I did last night? I sat on my ass, in my big, comfy high-back leather chair, put on my VR headset, picked up a controller, and played almost two hours of games like Distances, Obduction, and Elite: Dangerous.

But do go on. Tell me more about what everyone supposedly wants and what VR supposedly can't do...

When you combine that with motion controls, you got a big headache.
Yeah? I haven't had a single person complain at all about the "motion controls"[footnote]When the things are tracking your body movements down to sub-millimeter accuracy do we even consider that motion controls anymore? It's literally just you interacting with objects in the 3D space, just as your game avatar would.[/footnote] of my Vive, not even from two guys who HATE motion controls, one of whom actually gets angry at even the thought of having to pick up a Wii-mote.

But again, please, do go on...

The only games do VR really well are rail-shooters,
So then I guess I and others have just been pretending to have fun with the myriad of racing, shooting, party, puzzle, adventure, dungeon-crawler, action, horror, and strategy games also available in VR?

That's...actually pretty incredible. I'd have never guessed I was so good at pretending to have fun that I'd actually convince myself I was having fun. I should take up acting.

RE7's VR wasn't great. Bit of hack job, that was. So, I don't know what you're talking about here.

Other than that, not much else.
My growing library of fun VR games on Steam would argue otherwise, but okay. You've clearly tried out VR and a great many of the available games to know what you're talking about.

Yoshi178 said:
and people scoffed at me when i kept saying last year that VR gaming was a total fad. now as this threads title has already pointed out, you almost never hear people talk about it anymore lol.
How often do you hear people talk about smartphones?

Sure, we talk about our own, when we're using them to do something or share a video, but how often to see people flooding their Twitter and Facebook feeds with constant talk of the tech and the industry?

The sure sign that a tech has gone beyond being "just a gimmick" and has begun being adopted as a common-place tech is that people stop talking about it and start talking about what they're doing with it.

Look around and you'll start to see a lot more of the latter.

Kerg3927 said:
Makes sense. I also have a TV in my office (I'm a PC gamer), and like to put a football or basketball game on while I'm gaming, and look up at it every now and then, check the score, etc. Couldn't do that with VR.
Actually, you could. In-game screens are totally a thing that's doable. You could link directly to an outside app and bring up a floating screen in the 3D space you're in and have it display whatever.

In fact...I...might get on coding such a feature. Thanks for the idea.

It definitely has a huge future, but I don't see it as replacing gaming as we know it.
I never understood this criticism. Who has ever made the claim it would replace 'gaming as we know it'? Who has ever said VR gaming was meant to usurp all of traditional gaming?

It's a baffling idea. One I think was borne more from those adverse to the tech than those advocating for it. If anything, VR is complimentary to traditional gaming. Like having access to other genres and other ways of interacting with the games we have.

Offline play didn't go away when online multiplayer came about. D-pads didn't disappear when analog sticks came on the scene. Pixelated graphics didn't become gauche when 3D engines were created.

Why would traditional, TV-screen based gaming suddenly become antiquated with the advent of VR? Who's even said it should?

BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Technology today is advancing faster than ever before and this will only benefit VR, even if you don't like VR for what it is now, I don't see how you can deny the great potential it has and will reach. 3D however peaked years ago.
Welcome to the Escapist, where no one has had any fun since 2003. (or 1996, depending on who you talk to)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
The Eupho Guy said:
what happened to the VR talk?
It's more or less what happens to most hardware after it gets released, isn't it? We know roughly what the hardware will do and there hasn't been any troubles with units catching fire or breaking unexpectedly, so at least for HTC and Occulus, there won't really be much coverage unless they go broke or start talking up a new model.

are you interested in VR?
I am. I need to upgrade my computer before I even think of getting one, though.
With the new intel chips, AMD's new Ryzen chips, and the potential of the new Vega GPUs, it'll be even easier (and cheaper) to build a VR ready PC.

Give it a few months and you'll be able to pick up a 1070 for a pittance.

have you tried VR?
I've tried the archery mini game from the mini game collection that Valve put out and TiltBrush on a friends Vive.
You should give games like Dakota Sunshine, Quar, Out of Ammo, Vanishing Realms, and Final Approach a try. They're pretty fun.

Then there's stuff like Accounting and Google Earth VR. The former is an hilarious experience and the latter is just an incredible romp across the globe.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Vigormortis said:
I'll give you the short version.

1. VR as starting price is still expensive regardless, if it's cheap now. Anyone would be paying a lot. Look at PSVR, it's $399.99. And that is if you already have a PS4. If not, add another $300-400 to that total of near a grand.

2. There has not been a lot of VR talk on the console side at least. But even on PC, I don't hear that many announcements.

3. I've tried VR, and it makes me dizzy. This was more than once. I don't like it; even the good ones.

4. There is no need for the attitude. If you like VR, nothing against you, but you don't have to go overly defensive.

My point is that once again, VR is a fad. There are some good stuff out there, but the keyword is some. If there are a lot of VR games you enjoyed, then more power to you.

Feb 7, 2016
Until it's more afforadable and doesn't cost almost as much as the whole system you have to purchase to play it on, I don't think we'll see much talk about VR outside of the circles that already own one.

The communities setup specifically for VR seem to have quite a few people talking about it, and anytime a VR exclusive title comes out that seems to be good, it sticks around on the Steam Top Sellers for a bit.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
I don't think VR has that much potential. I'm immersed by a good story, a strong atmosphere. So far VR seems to be trying to serve as an alternative to these rather than compound them. there are a few gems out there like star trek bridge crew, but beyond that, it will not make games more immersive or comfortable to play. All the games i have seen feel largely like tech demoes. It's also bad for playing strategy games, and there is no real point to having it in third person games like dark souls or bayonetta where you need to be able to see from a third person perspective

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Unlike the last big gimmick (Motion controls) it came with too obscene a price-tag, and couldn't actually add anything so it died in the womb. /unnecessary dark image

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Lufia Erim said:
Outside of it's respective sub-reddit that is. VR has been out roughly a year ( give or take a few months, too lazy to look up the actual dates). That VR has been released and yet i only see the occasional review of a new games being spoken about.

As a reference point i am specifically speaking about VR gaming with the PSVR, Occulus rift and the HTC vive.

VR was(is?) supposed to be the next big step in gaming. And yet at the moment i hear very little outside of actively searching for information.

My questions are:

-what happened to the VR talk?
-are you interested in VR?
-have you tried VR?
-if you are not interested in VR gaming, what would it take to personally get you on board?
-what is the game or kind of game you would want the most in VR?

As for me, i am eyeing the PSVR really hard. While i could go out and buy one right now if i wished, it's not the right time for me because I'm about to move, but i can definitely see myself buying it in the near future, maybe by the end of 2017, especially if there is a price drop before the christmas season or black friday. I am tempted to buy the lastest game everyone is raving about, Farpoint, to make sure i get the buddle with the aim controller. I might actually buy the game before i get the console. Besides we all know that these things tend to go up in price when all is said and done.
Alright so I've had the Vive almost since the day it came out. As far as I'm concerned the VR talk is still around, it's just that the main hype surrounding the launch has died down. Right now it's only really the enthusiasts that own VR headsets due to the price point so obviously it's not going to get as much coverage as other gaming news related stuff. Meaning right now it's sort of a niche thing.

Plus a lot of VR related stuff is the sort of thing that people can't really appreciate until they've actually tried it. Watching videos of VR games simply does not do them justice and it's the sort of thing you usually have to experience for yourself in order to "get". In fact I've had many people admit as much (skeptics included) after I had them try out the Vive in the living room at proper full room-scale. Like, they've literally said "now I get what you've been talking about".

News-wise, if you are keeping an eye on things there's actually more going on than many people realize. Off the top of my head...

-Valve announced they're developing not one, but 3 new "full" games [https://www.polygon.com/virtual-reality/2017/2/10/14580932/valve-is-working-on-three-full-vr-games]. As in they're not just tech demos like The Lab. Yeah, that's pretty significant.

-Valve is also developing new "knuckle controllers" [https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5olvaj/hype_the_knuckles_controller_is_being_designed_at/], and they're doing it in tandem with the development of said games.

-Another company is developing eye-tracking hardware for Vive [https://uploadvr.com/7invensun-eye-tracker-for-vive/] that allows it to selectively render only what you're looking at (thus lowering hardware requirements).

-The new SteamVR Home area [https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1256913672017157095]

-Google's new rendering tool Seurat is being used by ILMxLAB:

These announcements are just from this year alone and that's mostly only Vive related stuff, I haven't paid much attention to the other headsets. Take what the skeptics say with a big grain of salt, VR isn't going away any time soon.

Kurt91

Feb 16, 2017
Country
United States
To be completely honest, as interested as I am in getting a VR headset, I'm in the same boat as most everybody else where it's the cost that keeps me from getting one. On the bright side, they're about the cost of a rather large television, so when I get to the point where I need a new one of those, I might be able to just get a VR set instead for the same price. I live alone in a dorm room, so the isolation factor isn't a problem for me. In fact, it would be beneficial as a space-saver more than anything else.

Regarding what there is to actually do with it, I'd probably try to see if I can use it for Netflix in some way, such as a giant VR theater. If there aren't any special games to draw me in by that point, I've always wanted to mess with the various VR settings on different emulators. Maybe play a few Zelda games in VR.

I've kind of toyed with the idea of tying my phone to a Wii Zapper, turning on one of those apps that let you use your phone as a motion-sensor for your PC, and playing a Fallout game like that. Running that alongside a VR headset seems like it would be pretty fun, if I couldn't afford a real motion controller.

Sort of off-topic, but I wonder if the type of 3D tracking that some headsets have could work for walking in VR. Sit up straight for a neutral position. Lean forward to walk forward, and turning your head enough would turn your "body". Maybe an alternative turning control if you're using a spinning office chair, but then the system would have to take the chair drifting around into account when checking if you're "walking". If not, then while it's not immersive, I don't see the problem with continuing to use a controller to walk like in a normal game, at least as a stop-gap method.

Sep 9, 2007
Vigormortis said:
The Eupho Guy said:
what happened to the VR talk?
It's more or less what happens to most hardware after it gets released, isn't it? We know roughly what the hardware will do and there hasn't been any troubles with units catching fire or breaking unexpectedly, so at least for HTC and Occulus, there won't really be much coverage unless they go broke or start talking up a new model.

are you interested in VR?
I am. I need to upgrade my computer before I even think of getting one, though.
With the new intel chips, AMD's new Ryzen chips, and the potential of the new Vega GPUs, it'll be even easier (and cheaper) to build a VR ready PC.

Give it a few months and you'll be able to pick up a 1070 for a pittance.
That's the plan. At this point in time, I'm looking at upgrading at the end of the year and and then looking at getting a VR unit sometime next year.

have you tried VR?
I've tried the archery mini game from the mini game collection that Valve put out and TiltBrush on a friends Vive.
You should give games like Dakota Sunshine, Quar, Out of Ammo, Vanishing Realms, and Final Approach a try. They're pretty fun.

Then there's stuff like Accounting and Google Earth VR. The former is an hilarious experience and the latter is just an incredible romp across the globe.
I've seen Accounting in action on a twitch stream a while back and it looks interesting. I'll look into the others too. Thanks for the heads up!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
CoCage said:
1. VR as starting price is still expensive regardless, if it's cheap now. Anyone would be paying a lot. Look at PSVR, it's $399.99. And that is if you already have a PS4. If not, add another $300-400 to that total of near a grand.
Okay, but there's a difference between "expensive" and "overpriced". A very big difference.

Words matter, so maybe be more selective in the ones you use when attempting to make a point.

2. There has not been a lot of VR talk on the console side at least. But even on PC, I don't hear that many announcements.
That seems more on you, frankly. Microsoft's been talking about revealing their own HMD at E3, as well as some new iteration of Hololens. Sony's been continuing talks on the PSVR side of things. HTC and Valve recently talked about their Knuckle Controllers, the gen-2 versions of the Lighthouse base stations, and several options to 'untether' the Vive HMD. (including a device built by TPCast) Several 3rd party companies are jumping into the fray with their own, mid-range HMDs. And Google's been talking about some new rendering middleware that's supposed to dramatically improve performance and lower system requirements for VR.

But again, once a new piece of technology has established itself, what reason is there for people to talk about it all the time? They, instead, talk about what they can and are doing with the technology. Something that's been happening quite a lot, especially in recent months.

Like my example of smart phones. How often do you see people talking endlessly about smartphones as a technology? Rarely, if ever. Instead, all anyone talks about is what they're doing with their smartphones, not the phones themselves. Same thing is starting to happen with VR. (and to a lesser extent AR)

3. I've tried VR, and it makes me dizzy. This was more than once. I don't like it; even the good ones.
Okay, but which ones? Under what circumstances? What was it that caused the dizziness.

I'm not saying you're lying but if you'd tried something like the Vive or current iteration of the Rift (with the inclusion of the room-scale tracking) I have a very hard time believing you got dizzy. I have several friends and colleagues that have real issues with motion sickness. Some of them to the degree that reading in a car will make them violently ill. They too experienced dizziness and motion sickness when trying early versions of the Rift or lower end devices like the Gear VR. However, not once have they experienced those sensations when trying my Vive. Three of them had, individually, used the thing for two solid hours, and even then they experienced no loss of balance, queasiness, or nausea.

This is why I'm curious which one(s) you've tried and under what circumstances. Not to debate you but rather out of genuine curiosity.

4. There is no need for the attitude. If you like VR, nothing against you, but you don't have to go overly defensive.
Only mirrored the tone of your comment. If the tone bothers you maybe don't adopt it yourself when posting. ;)

My point is that once again, VR is a fad.
I got the point, but I'm still failing to see how you've proved it. I see no evidence that it's just a passing 'fad'. In fact, I'm seeing a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

There are some good stuff out there, but the keyword is some.
This is subjective.

If there are a lot of VR games you enjoyed, then more power to you.
There have been. And there've been some woefully awful ones as well. But then, that's true of 'traditional gaming' as well, so....

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
The Eupho Guy said:
That's the plan. At this point in time, I'm looking at upgrading at the end of the year and and then looking at getting a VR unit sometime next year.
By that point some of the gen-2 stuff will have dropped, making the gen-1 gear even cheaper. (prices have already begun to go down)

I've seen Accounting in action on a twitch stream a while back and it looks interesting. I'll look into the others too. Thanks for the heads up!
You're welcome. I'd also keep an eye on the three 'secret' VR games Valve has in the works. They've not revealed much but, given what they've done internally and what they've contributed to the technology as a whole, I'm REALLY excited to see what they're cooking.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Vigormortis said:

To the average consumer, a near grand ain't cheap. Plus, there is a lot of risk involved that comes with the cost. The PC side may have something more, but it does not say much from what I see.

Don't even get me started on smartphones. Besides, a majority of phones games are crap.

I think we can agree to disagree, because my opinion is not going to change. Thanks for the debate, because I am done.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I?ve never been interested in VR; I?m never interest in peripheral gaming at all. It?s gimmicky, adding an unnecessary layer of complexity between me and my sought enjoyment.

When Kinect 2.0 was announced as a definitive part of the Xbox One experience, I argued nonstop with my best friend that the Kinect would flop. He swore by all the ?improvements,? potential and promises all the talking heads at MS were selling, but I stuck to my intuition that Kinect did little more than solve invented problems. I was proven right almost immediately as by the time my buddy could command his Xbox One to do anything once with his voice, I could do the same thing with the traditional controller three times. Fast forward a couple years, and the Kinect is all but dead. I imagine VR going the same way. Outside of the novelty, it really doesn?t offer much that a traditional TV can?t do better, cheaper and with less hassle.

That being said, whenever I think of the inane gimmicks these companies have tried, I always thing back to this video and laugh!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Xprimentyl said:
I?ve never been interested in VR; I?m never interest in peripheral gaming at all. It?s gimmicky, adding an unnecessary layer of complexity between me and my sought enjoyment.

When Kinect 2.0 was announced as a definitive part of the Xbox One experience, I argued nonstop with my best friend that the Kinect would flop. He swore by all the ?improvements,? potential and promises all the talking heads at MS were selling, but I stuck to my intuition that Kinect did little more than solve invented problems. I was proven right almost immediately as by the time my buddy could command his Xbox One to do anything once with his voice, I could do the same thing with the traditional controller three times. Fast forward a couple years, and the Kinect is all but dead. I imagine VR going the same way. Outside of the novelty, it really doesn?t offer much that a traditional TV can?t do better, cheaper and with less hassle.

That being said, whenever I think of the inane gimmicks these companies have tried, I always thing back to this video and laugh!

What was your friend's reaction when you were proven right? Might brother had a similar thing with Kinect, but even began to realize that outside of voice commands, he did not use it much for motion controls. Aside for one or two games.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'm not sold on the gaming side of VR. For me it just isn't immersive. It starts out okay but I swiftly find myself realising that my other senses are not in tune with what I am seeing and hearing, when that happens I am pulled out of the game very quickly.

For passive experiences though, such as watching a movie, I confess I am sold on it. I use my GearVR to watch movies in the Oculus Theatre and I've honestly found myself forgetting that I am actually sitting in my bedroom.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
It seems that PS VR reception wasn't as good or long lived as it needed to be. I haven't bought it because it's pretty expensive, but I tried Battlezone and I liked the sense of immersion. I'll maybe get it when it's in the discount bin or something, because other than that game and Resident Evil 7, I don't see a VR title that makes me interested.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
CoCage said:
What was your friend's reaction when you were proven right? Might brother had a similar thing with Kinect, but even began to realize that outside of voice commands, he did not use it much for motion controls. Aside for one or two games.
He?s a proud and hard-headed guy, but a few months in when he basically wasn?t using his Kinect save for a relatively few basic voice commands (i.e.: Xbox on/off and switching to TV,) he admitted that I was right. Nowadays, his Kinect isn?t even connected anymore; he put it back in the box. Even with it being significantly better than Kinect 1.0 (which was itself a nonsense novelty,) it?s still YEARS of development away from being easier, let alone better or more entertaining than using a controller/mouse and keyboard. I imagine VR will do the same; the gimmick will take root for a very niche group of gamers, and there may even be a handful of decent apps for it, but at the end of the day, traditional controller/mouse and keyboard gaming will take precedence by a LARGE margin.