Poll: Solve a simple math problem

Coller

Oct 4, 2010
14. I understand people can get it wrong, but those who insist on theyre answer being right, even though it's wrong, make me want to strangle kittens. Those poor, innocent kittens. You heartless monsters.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Flailing Escapist said:
[small]And yes, in this case x means multiplication.(what? I'm a lazy typer that's too unfamiliar with doing math online. Paper rocks)[/small]
The most common way to type out a multiplication symbol is an asterisk: *
TheTechnomancer said:
Necator15 said:
TheTechnomancer said:
Comieman said:
TheTechnomancer said:
The answer is minus infinity.
(1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1)-(1+1+1+1+1+1+(1/0))
=10-(6+infinity)
=10-infinity
=-infinity
If the end was 1*0= then the answer would be 4 as adding brackets the sum equates to
(1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1)-(1+1+1+1+1+1+(1*0))
=10-(6+0)
=4
...whut
I just added brackets to show the order of operations. Also i refuse to use x as a multiplication symbol on a computer as this just confuses it with algebra.

Then you did it wrong. the - 1 is just subtracting one from the total. It doesn't mean subtract the other half of the equation. The brackets would have to be a part of the original problem to imply that.
The best way to write this would probably be.

(1*0) + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 +1 + 1 + 1 +1 + 1 + 1 +1 + 1 + 1 - 1 = 14
(Addition is commutative, so re-arranging the equation is entirely permitted)
I agree that -1 is just subtracting one from the total, but what we're taught in school is that the order of operations is that you do addition then subtraction. So taking this to the logical conclusion would lead to the answer being 4. I don't like it but thats what we're taught.
Then you were taught poorly. Yes, in the acronym PEMDAS, subtraction comes after addition (and division comes after multiplication), but every teacher I've ever had that even touched on the subject always made a point of saying that subtraction and addition (and also multiplication and division), are equal in the hierarchy. Because they are. They simply have to put one before the other for the acronym because that's how language works, there isn't a single word that means both. But addition is most definitely not higher in the order of operations than subtraction (nor is it lower).

Zukhramm

Jul 9, 2008
Hexenwolf said:
Then you were taught poorly. Yes, in the acronym PEMDAS, subtraction comes after addition (and division comes after multiplication), but every teacher I've ever had that even touched on the subject always made a point of saying that subtraction and addition (and also multiplication and division), are equal in the hierarchy. Because they are. They simply have to put one before the other for the acronym because that's how language works, there isn't a single word that means both. But addition is most definitely not higher in the order of operations than subtraction (nor is it lower).
I think the whole idea of teaching this "PEMDAS" thing is bad. I never heard of it until I started seeing this type of maths threads on the internet. I don't think it's a good thing to just memorize rules instead of actually understanding what's going on.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Xisin said:
Flailing Escapist said:
Xisin said:
Who cares? The answer is 14, but even if I said it was 5000, it still proves nothing. Adult intelligence should not be measured by 4th grade math. A person can pretty much do this for any subject and we'd all fail one eventually. Problems like these are the whole reason the show, "Are you smarter than a 5th grader," exists.
I'm not using this as a standard to point out how smart anybody is, I am mearly pointing out that this is a simple "5th grade" question can be easily missed if you don't pay attention(in school). And I understand it's tricky, that's part of it's diabolical nature. But I didn't write it I just put it up on a wall and pointed "Everybody, look at this problem! Isn't it stupid how it trys to squirm it's way off the wall? Look and laugh, children!".
I disagree with the, "if you don't pay attention(in school)," part. At perhaps 10, the order operations would be fresh in my mind. At 20, if I'm in a college math course like calculus, most math formulas would be ingrained. By 30, if my career has nothing to do with math, the order of operations is as important as the name of my 1st grade teacher.

The human brain tends to discard very old things that it no longer needs. I had over a decade of Spanish and my ability to speak it is now rudimentary at best. I just never have need of it.

Saying your college friend is sad seems a harsh criticism. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that questions like these aren't looking for an answer. You already know it, of course. You seem to be looking for how many people will stumble. (shrugs) Thus why I think it's pointless.
I disagree, none of my college friends are 30. Matter of fact only a few over them are over 20; they should be hard pressed to forget something as simple as pemdas. But then again, none of them are math or science majors so I won't hold it against them.

Xisin said:
You seem to be looking for how many people will stumble.
You're right. I'm keeping track with the white board on my wall because I'm a giaaaaaaaaant prick.
[small](It's labeled "People who suck at basic math and nothing else")[/small]

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Hexenwolf said:
Flailing Escapist said:
[small]And yes, in this case x means multiplication.(what? I'm a lazy typer that's too unfamiliar with doing math online. Paper rocks)[/small]
The most common way to type out a multiplication symbol is an asterisk: *
Thank you, sir. I shall correct this mistake at once!

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
Hey kids, here's a good way to remember how to solve ridiculous equations right. It's called PEMDAS.
P - parentheses
E - exponents
M - multiplication
D - division
A - addition
S - Subtraction

Do them in order. So...nothing in parenthesis, no exponents, 1X0 = 1 x X x 0 = 0, then all the ones added and subtracted equals 14.

Sheesh, I'm drunk and even then this was so simple it's insulting.

Raizekage

May 31, 2011
meh I guessed 0. I figured all that came before it would be multiplied by 0 which equals 0.

QuantumT

Nov 17, 2009
I'll let quite a bit slide when it comes to remembering math and such that you no longer use, but this is too much. Don't know calculus? Fine, not everyone is in the sciences so not everyone needs this. Forgot algebra? Little more iffy, but I'll accept that it doesn't come up too much for everyone. But arithmetic? Really? Not knowing arithmetic is like not knowing which side won WW2.

Tanto-chan

Nov 9, 2009
It's not divided by Zero it's multiplied and I want another go I didn't see the minus sign in the middle

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
Flailing Escapist said:
I disagree, none of my college friends are 30. Matter of fact only a few over them are over 20; they should be hard pressed to forget something as simple as pemdas. But then again, none of them are math or science majors so I won't hold it against them.

Xisin said:
You seem to be looking for how many people will stumble.
You're right. I'm keeping track with the white board on my wall because I'm a giaaaaaaaaant prick.
[small](It's labeled "People who suck at basic math and nothing else")[/small]
The example applies to my house hold. For us, it's just long term memory. I'd never heard it called the pemdas til this thread actually.

As to the second part, I was not trying to imply that you were that malicious; it is just the logical step. You know the answer to the question, therefore you are not posting to find it. So my two hypotheses were: you were being redundant or you were curious about how many others shared your friends lack of math skills. The second seemed more plausible.

Chris646

Jan 3, 2011
I picked 0 in the poll.
... And then promptly slapped myself in the face. The answer is 14.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Remember Bidmas.
Brackets
Indices
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

Working at it from that angle, we find that the answer is -

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Putting in a minus hoping that the viewer doesn't see it. That's low. That's not a simple maths problem. That's a simple optical illusion (people see what the want or expect to see, people get caught in patterns etc). Real people write numerals or use a tally, they don't write 1+1+1. Or if you want to get all mathematical they use sigma notation.
Also, no-one I know of uses PEDMAS etc, at a college level. Division and Multiplication are the same process, as are indices, Addition and Subtraction are also similar process, and if you know the Law of Distribution, then you get to ignore Parentheses. The amount of people using our old Pneumonic: BODMAS, who got it wrong (Brackets of Division Multiplication Addition & Subtraction) and ended up with something ridiculous is amazing. No use of Order of Operations that is correct will come up with the wrong answer (One that isn't 14) unless you fundamentally fail to understand the system. Which is why my maths teachers past year 8 always avoided using them, hoping that people understood the system by then.
It's as bad as another one I've seen, where the trickster (sorry, "questioner") "asks" the viewer to identify a simple sum such as 5+5. Little known to them is that written in fine print they are unable to see at a distance, is an extra figure which throws the calculation off. It isn't a maths problem, it's just silliness, and it doesn't make you look clever.
For those who don't know, the lim(x->0) 1/x=infinity, 1/0 may be evaluated as infinity but is not equal to infinity (For those who know, there are multiple magnitudes of infinite sets, ie, different infinite sizes, but they're all infinite, eg, Z(Integers)<R(Reals) in fact, Z<S S={0=<R=<1}. Infinity is a concept not a value. Remember this, and one day you may be thankful. It's an abstract noun, better suited to use as an adjective, infinite.
The term undefined simply means there is no real solution, or even a complex one, however, by using limits, usually a solution may be found.