Poll: Solve a simple math problem

alimarin

Jun 4, 2009
nunqual said:
Divided by 0? I thought it was multiplied by 0. Dividing by 0 would get you infinity, even if you use the correct order of operations.
Actually, Dividing by zero would be undefined.

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
You guys need to learn to use Wolfram Alpha...

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1*0 = 14

Although I'm with everyone who says it's ambiguous, because operator precedence is a convention, not a rule. This notation is ambiguous, hence the need for the operator precedence convention. There are other notations that aren't ambiguous and have no need for such a convention. 14 is the conventional answer, but not the right one: 0 is also a valid answer, if one assumes a different convention.

InterestingKiwi

Jun 18, 2011
Why do people still think PEMDAS is exact order?
Parenthesis, than Exponents, than Multiplication and Division (left to right not Mult before Division), than Addition and Subtraction (order irrelevant).

The answer is 14.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
DanDanikov said:
You guys need to learn to use Wolfram Alpha...
No. We should be able to preform simple, Repeat: SIMPLE, mathematical equations in our heads.
Although I'm with everyone who says it's ambiguous, because operator precedence is a convention, not a rule. This notation is ambiguous, hence the need for the operator precedence convention. There are other notations that aren't ambiguous and have no need for such a convention. 14 is the conventional answer, but not the right one: 0 is also a valid answer, if one assumes a different convention.
No. The equation given is not ambiguous in the slightest. The problem is that people don't look at the entire equation before then begin to form their answer. What's that saying? "Measure twice, cut once."

There is ONE clear answer, which is easily derived if you read the equation correctly.
The fact that about half of the people read the equation wrong isn't the fault of the equation, but that of the reader.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Shock and Awe said:
Order of operations says I multiply first, so its basically taking away one of the 1s so thats 16.
You did your order of operations right so you win. Unfortuantly it's not the correct answer because they snuck a -1 in there. So it's 14 not 16.
But you did it in the correct order so congrats.

suicide samurai

Jul 17, 2009
Math people need to start writing things in such a manner as they are to be read. In a real life situation (such as making a cut-list for construction, or determining how much water is needed for a pool), the problem would have physical representation that could easily be defined by this "order of operations."

Taking this problem as written, I was assuming I was a business, making $1 each time, with a $1 loss multiplied in the middle area later divided by "0". The asnwer should have been "0."

One would not provide all the words I have written in this post, then asked for the reader to attempt to put them in the proper order.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Speaking of math, did it blow anyone else's mind when they first learned 1/infinity was 0?

suicide samurai said:
Math people need to start writing things in such a manner as they are to be read. In a real life situation (such as making a cut-list for construction, or determining how much water is needed for a pool), the problem would have physical representation that could easily be defined by this "order of operations."

Taking this problem as written, I was assuming I was a business, making $1 each time, with a $1 loss multiplied in the middle area later divided by "0". The asnwer should have been "0."

One would not provide all the words I have written in this post, then asked for the reader to attempt to put them in the proper order.
Mathematicians have a system that works very well. And it's the order of operations.

Higher order operations come before lower order. It makes sense.

The 'way it is to be read' is really only applicable to languages which read left to right anyway.

If you learned the 'language' and conventions of mathematics this would be second nature to you.

Togs said:
Idontgetit, piece of useless GCSE maths lead me to believe anything multiplied by zero equals 1? Was I lied too?
Yes, you were lied to. Anything multiplied by zero is equal to zero.

Anything raised to the exponent of 0 is equal to 1, however.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
It's 14. But if you missed it, you arn't bad at math. Order of Operation generally doesn't come up in everyday life too often, and when it does, it's is almost never done in a way purposefully meant to confuse you. This problem is designed to make you take a glance at it, assume that it is trying to trick you into adding up the numbers and then just multiplying by 0, and making you jump on that before you process order of operations. In real math, this kind of problem wouldn't be phrased in this way. In real math, a multiply by 0 probably wouldn't even be in the original equation. If you answered 0, your math skills are probably fine. You fell for the deception, you didn't fail math. But at the end of the day, yes, the answer is 14.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I'm sorry. I blurted out one at first because
1. Forgot rule of PEMDAS
2. Thought that meant 1 to the power of 0.

Then I redid it. And got 14.

Did I do it right?

Edit: YAY I DIDN'T FAIL.

Tim Mazzola

Dec 27, 2010

PEMDAS, people, jeez.

Also, to everyone saying 16, there's a minus sign in there dudes. Also, to everyone saying 4, you do subtraction and addition in the order they're shown in.

Also, to all you "undefined" folks, in what universe would * be the symbol for division? I have never seen that before in my life. It's always been / where I come from.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Tim Mazzola said:
Also, to all you "undefined" folks, in what universe would * be the symbol for division? I have never seen that before in my life. It's always been / where I come from.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, because you refuse to read the posts of the first page; Edited original post is edited.