Poll: Solve a simple math problem

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
davros3000 said:
there are no brackets in the equation
Correct. There aren't any.
so its 0.
Wrong. It's 14.

all the breakdowns of the calculation are incorrect. there is no separation of calculation so it isn't 0*1, but nought times the sum up until this point. a minus or multiply symbol doesn't stop a calculation.
No, that's all wrong.
So, I'm just going to link the Order of Operations [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations], which I strongly recommend you give a once over.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
This mostly for the people who answered 0.

BEDMAS people! BEDMAS! Brackets (there are none), Exponents (none of those), Division/Multiplication (just 1*0. No division what so ever), Addition/Subtraction (1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1).

Put simply, your first step is to multiply 1 by 0, giving you zero, making the problem simply 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+0.

The rest I should assume everyone can do on their own.

BEDMAS is also called BIDMAS, where the word 'exponents' is 'indices', which mean the same thing, or BODMAS, where, for some reason, the 'O' in 'pOwers' or the 'O' in 'Operation' (this applies to roots as well) replaces the 'E' in 'Exponents'. Again, powers and exponents are the same thing.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
i voted zero but i change it to 14, you have to muliply first then do the adding, so its 1X0=0 than add the rest

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I got 14, because the 1-1 cancels and the 1*0 cancels...
And it's correct! yay me! I can count!

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Fluffles said:
new_age_reject said:
I don't understand how it's fourteen, you#'re adding up all the ones, taking away that one and then multiplying it by zero. If you multiply anything by zero you get zero.
novixz said:
Fluffles said:
novixz said:
The first thing they teach you when multiplying is anything multiplied by 0 will ultimately be 0. That's pretty simple.
Parentheses
Exponents
Multiplication/Division
Addition/Subtraction

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+(1*0)
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

(more proof: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1-1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1*0 )

It saddens me that these people can vote.
I forgot about that method, I was just keeping it on a simple level because I thought it was trying to trick us. Also, try not to be a condescending deuce when you correct people. Plus, it was never in parentheses.
It doesn't matter what method you use, it will always be 14. There is only one negative one in the equation, and there is only one number being multiplied by zero as there are no parenthesis' multiplying groups.
The parenthesis' I add are purely to show the one number that is being multiplied.

This is basic maths, I can understand if people miss the negative 1, but thinking that if there is a *0 in an equation this makes it all =0 is totally wrong, completely and entirely.
Considering I got a C in GCSE maths, I have no idea what a parenthesis is and still am slightly confused but I'll accept that it's 14.
I only really managed to learn the maths that I will use in day to day life.

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
So exactly how many [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.299116-Poll-Solve-a-simple-math-problem?page=7#11884197"]facepalms[/a] does that make since I went to bed last night?

davros3000 said:
there are no brackets in the equation so its 0.

all the breakdowns of the calculation are incorrect. there is no separation of calculation so it isn't 0*1, but nought times the sum up until this point. a minus or multiply symbol doesn't stop a calculation.

Numpty.
Huh?

davros3000 said:
there are no brackets in the equation so its 14.
Fixed it for you.

Rathands

Oct 4, 2010
Wait, what? Where is everyone getting 14 from? That answer only comes about if the equation in the question already has brackets but the way it's phrased suggests that it has to be worked out in one go, which would equal 0. This is one of those questions teachers love to ask so they can sit at the front of the classroom with a smug arse look on their face isn't it?

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
silversnake4133 said:
Why must fellow members create these threads? What purpose do they honestly serve? When they aren't troll threads they start flame wars between people of different views. If you seriously created a "Solve this problem" thread to help you with a problem then it's fine. A few people will answer and you can decide on the solution that's most common and go from there. But if you only created it for the sheer chance grab of getting pageviews and a few forum badges, congratulations, collect your spoils and run home.

I can see that there are plenty of answers to multistep problems like these, but I really don't think that some people calling other people dumb or incompetent in mathematics just because they came up with a different answer is appropriate or necessary. Everyone is different, the sooner we can recognize that as a species, the better.
There is only one answer. The fun thing is seeing people get it wrong while still thinking they're right. I'm saddened to see that the zero answer has gotten quite a few more picks by comparison to the right one since last night :(

Also, why does the Escapist use Java now?

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
For everyone who doesn't understand how it's not 0, copy and paste the problem into Google (leave out the question mark) and it will show you how you're suppose to work the problem.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Rathands said:
Wait, what? Where is everyone getting 14 from? That answer only comes about if the equation in the question already has brackets but the way it's phrased suggests that it has to be worked out in one go, which would equal 0. This is one of those questions teachers love to ask so they can sit at the front of the classroom with a smug arse look on their face isn't it?
Fluffles said:
Parenthesis'
Exponents
Multiplication/Division
Addition/Subtraction

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+(1*0)
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

(more proof: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1-1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1*0 )
new_age_reject said:
Considering I got a C in GCSE maths, I have no idea what a parenthesis is and still am slightly confused but I'll accept that it's 14.
I only really managed to learn the maths that I will use in day to day life.
A parenthesis is a bracket.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Rathands said:
Wait, what? Where is everyone getting 14 from?
Try this; What's 3 + 4 * 5? Ok, now what's 5 * 4 + 3?

Did you get different answers? Then, you're doing it wrong.

Order of Operations [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations]: Learn it. Live it. Love it.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
One day people will understand that order of operations is more than just brackets/parenthesis.

Rathands

Oct 4, 2010
Frieswiththat said:
This mostly for the people who answered 0.

BEDMAS people! BEDMAS! Brackets (there are none), Exponents (none of those), Division/Multiplication (just 1*0. No division what so ever), Addition/Subtraction (1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1).

Put simply, your first step is to multiply 1 by 0, giving you zero, making the problem simply 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+0.
I wish you'd flown through the window and Falcon Punched my useless Maths teacher through space and time during GCSE. Where were you when I needed you Maths God!

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Omega1k said:
The amount of 0s make me sad...
Think about how many of them can vote. Then think about your usage of "sad" and whether you'd like to change it. :D

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Maze1125 said:
Lukeje said:
TheTechnomancer said:
Lukeje said:
TheTechnomancer said:
Well i'm not sure but my maths text book says 1/0 is infinity so no ofense but i'll trust that over you.
Are you sure it doesn't just say that the limit of 1/x as x->0 is infinity? Infinity is a tricky concept...
Pretty sure as some questions in the book required you to use 'infinity = 1/0' in order to get to the correct answer.
Example please?
Riemann Sphere [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sphere]
That's a set with infinity as an element. That is different from the generally used set of real numbers that one would come across. Also, it's not an example question from his textbook.

Speedwagon

Oct 3, 2010
I saw this on Facebook a while ago, I din't notice the minus sign the first time. I said 16 but the real answer is 14.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
madwarper said:
Rathands said:
Wait, what? Where is everyone getting 14 from?
Try this; What's 3 + 4 * 5? Ok, now what's 5 * 4 + 3?

Did you get different answers? Then, you're doing it wrong.

Order of Operations [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations]: Learn it. Live it. Love it.
Why bother? The only important thing is that brackets are first, everything else is self-explanatory.
4*5 is simply another way of writing 5+5+5+5, 2^3 another way of writing 2*2*2 which is 2+2+2+2, obviously.
If someone has to think about the order of operations, he didn't understand basic operations in the first place, so I'd recommend him to learn that first.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Lukeje said:
Maze1125 said:
Lukeje said:
TheTechnomancer said:
Lukeje said:
TheTechnomancer said:
Well i'm not sure but my maths text book says 1/0 is infinity so no ofense but i'll trust that over you.
Are you sure it doesn't just say that the limit of 1/x as x->0 is infinity? Infinity is a tricky concept...
Pretty sure as some questions in the book required you to use 'infinity = 1/0' in order to get to the correct answer.
Example please?
Riemann Sphere [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sphere]
That's a set with infinity as an element. That is different from the generally used set of real numbers that one would come across. Also, it's not an example question from his textbook.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1%2F0
"Complex infinity" whatever that means.
So yeee. Insert that to back up your claims or destroy them or whatever.