Poll: Speculation - Morrowind Remake

meryatathagres

Mar 1, 2011
Since it seems pretty much everyone says that Morrowind had the best setting and athmosphere of all the Elder Scrolls games, I started to think that maybe Bethesda could re-release it, with updated graphics and using the Skyrim combat system. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I wonder if you agree..

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
YES!

But NOT with the Skyrim system. That would be stupid. Skyrim doesn't have: spears, throwing weapons, crossbows, staves, etc. AND THOSE WERE ALL AWESOME!

What would be the point of playing Morrowind if I can't get the Spear of Bitter Mercy?

Edit:
Rex Dark said:
Morrowind without voiceless npc that only show text?
Yes.
You leave my text alone! It beats the crap out of voice over in my opinion. I LIKE to read several paragraphs every time I talk to an npc. How am I supposed to know I am playing an rpg otherwise?

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
You know part of what made morrowind good was its combat system. Even though people whine that it was stupid that you didin't always connect with your hits, thats how real rpgs are.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I think I would. Well not in a heartbeat as I am not rich but I think I would.
The combat of Morrowind is the only thing which makes me unable to play morrowind much at the start :(

meryatathagres

Mar 1, 2011
Dimitriov said:
YES!

But NOT with the Skyrim system. That would be stupid. Skyrim doesn't have: spears, throwing weapons, crossbows, staves, etc. AND THOSE WERE ALL AWESOME!

What would be the point of playing Morrowind if I can't get the Spear of Bitter Mercy?
Well, I basicly meant improving the combat and NPC's. Implementing spears and such isn't too hard I think.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
If it has:

levitation
spears
crossbows
all armorslots it had in the original
non-scaling enemies

...hell, even if it did not, still a must have.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
A Weakgeek said:
You know part of what made morrowind good was its combat system. Even though people whine that it was stupid that you didin't always connect with your hits, thats how real rpgs are.
Good god... Finally, someone else who doesn't hate the combat. I don't think it was the best system, but it did really show your progression in skill, going from constantly failing, to hitting a bit, a lot, barely missing. Felt great.
OT: I'd buy it, but only if it was simply an HD remake, add some voices and stuff. Don't touch the core gameplay. Morrowind was almost completely different to Skyrim by now, so I don't bother comparing them, but I do miss having spears and clubs and short/long blades and crossbows and masses of spells and armours and conjuring an army of dudes and etc. In fact, the game would change a lot if you removed all that, to the point of breaking it, and you just know somewhere you'd come across some random sword called "glass spear" or whatever.

meryatathagres

Mar 1, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Bethesda have repeatedly said that they're focussing on the future rather than remaking the past. I much prefer it that way.

What you're saying it what mods are for - look up Morroblivion, fan-made complete conversion.
Classic movies are remade, sometimes better than the original (the Thing by Carpenter comes to mind). Why not games as well? OTOH since its the setting and athmosphere we Morrowind fans most like, a new plot in the same lovely huge island would do just fine. But an update would be much easier to make.
Console players dont get mods, and has it ever even been released on PS3? There's untapped market there for low risk.

Bethesda, you're totally free to use this idea. I release all claims.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Definitely. I miss a lot of stuff about Morrowind, not just the setting, but also the weapons (spears, crossbows etc.), spells (Mark/Recall, Almsivi/Divine Intervention, Jump, Levitate etc.), lack of fast travel (that worked exactly because of the above mentioned spells) and now with Skyrim, entire schools of magic (I miss Mysticism :( ) and skills (Acrobatics were so much awesome)

Rex Dark said:
Morrowind without voiceless npc that only show text?
Yes.
I actually wouldn't mind if it was just a graphical update, I think I could stomach the voiceless text-only NPCs too (I prefer voiceovers, but it's just not a dealbreaker for me). Wouldn't mind if they updated the combat system though.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Dimitriov said:
How am I supposed to know I am playing an rpg otherwise?
My sarcasm meter is broken and I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but it's something to take note of.

RPG players gave up a lot of freedom with the writing when many games moved from primarily text to voice communication. I hold up Baldur's Gate 1+2 as the best example of the happy medium you can have between the two though. For those who haven't played it, most NPCs would only have 1-2 lines of voiced dialogue if that. But it was enough, because after that you could read every following line in that voice and it allowed the writers freedom while still giving the player the mental 'image' of the NPC talking.

Exceptions were made for some major NPCs and party members, but I still hold up BG1+2 as the best example of how to mix voice+text well.

That's not to say fully voiced is always bad, but how often when playing, say, Fallout 3, did you find yourself reading the subtitles and then clicking to the next line before the character had finished speaking? Often? While game design has clearly moved forward, we shouldn't forget the accomplishments of the past, and one of those was the ability to deliver large amounts of dialogue via text while still having the player hear the NPC's voice in their head.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Well i love elder scrolls series and i havent played Morrowind yet, so why the hell not?

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Amnestic said:
Dimitriov said:
How am I supposed to know I am playing an rpg otherwise?
My sarcasm meter is broken and I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but it's something to take note of.

RPG players gave up a lot of freedom with the writing when many games moved from primarily text to voice communication. I hold up Baldur's Gate 1+2 as the best example of the happy medium you can have between the two though. For those who haven't played it, most NPCs would only have 1-2 lines of voiced dialogue if that. But it was enough, because after that you could read every following line in that voice and it allowed the writers freedom while still giving the player the mental 'image' of the NPC talking.

Exceptions were made for some major NPCs and party members, but I still hold up BG1+2 as the best example of how to mix voice+text well.

That's not to say fully voiced is always bad, but how often when playing, say, Fallout 3, did you find yourself reading the subtitles and then clicking to the next line before the character had finished speaking? Often? While game design has clearly moved forward, we shouldn't forget the accomplishments of the past, and one of those was the ability to deliver large amounts of dialogue via text while still having the player hear the NPC's voice in their head.
I completely agree. I was being serious while intentionally sounding sarcastic, because... well, that's just what I do!

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
I would buy it, but I would much prefer a mod or if, as has already been suggested, Obsidian released it instead. I don't want anything holding Bethesda back from doing what they're doing because - in my opinion - what they are doing is bloody brilliant.

I know "every game has bugs" is not a viable excuse, Skyrim does have bugs, but looking at the content, story, side quests... well, the game is awesome albeit a little buggy.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
That guy who went through the invisible walls and went into morrowind in TES V.
I smell a DLC actually.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I'd buy 5 copies and play 1 whilst making love to the other 4.
Damn right I would.