Poll: Spyros New Look

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I've heard Skylanders is actually pretty good. But the look is bad. Really bad. When I saw the trailer I dismissed the game entirely based almost entirely on that, and I usually hate people who do that. I never take issue with games based solely on their visual aesthetic. But this one... this was too much. They've already done so much to the once-great Spyro, seeing him look like a deformed reject from How To Train Your Dragon concept art was just too much.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
We had this thread ages ago... twice i think.

Personally, while i don't like the new look as much as the older ones (I actually preferred "The legend of Spyro" look) It's kind of grown on me. As for the actual game, its quite fun. I enjoyed it(Hans Zimmer and Richard Horvitz =D), and the battle mode has brought about many many entertaining events with my friends.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Spyro died a long time ago.

That... thing, is an abomination to his memory.

Seriously, it looks like the result of a coupling between a pug and a lizard.
What he said.

I just pray someone puts this abomination out of its misery soon...

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Spyro died a long time ago.

That... thing, is an abomination to his memory.

Seriously, it looks like the result of a coupling between a pug and a lizard.
I already commented, but I read over comments again and just had to agree with Daystar here. Well said.

Then, just to add more content and commentary to this post: Spyro had three incredible games (and two pretty good ones on the Game Boy Advance), and since then I have tried to ignore the horrible things developers continually do to him. His contemporary, Crash Bandicoot, has suffered a similarly heartbreaking fate. I long to see both franchises picked up by someone who is either A) the original developer that started their respective series (so Insomniac for Spyro and Naughty Dog for Crash), or B) a team of dedicated and skilled fans that not only love the original games, but have a strong understanding of what made them so good.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The new Spyro looks like a Faces of Meth parody character. It's kind of fun to make fun of Sonic for being washed out and likely doped up but when you see it actually happen to Spyro, who is so much younger than Sonic, it's just sad.

Tom Artingstall

Sep 23, 2011
Spyro was a creature of the 90s. He was your standard 90s pop-culture definition of "attitude". He's like Poochie with vestigial wings. He took my videogame virginity, and for that I have ignored the existance of every game since Spyro 3. There is a very good reason for this.

Thanks to this policy, Spyro has been perpetually frozen in the year 2000. If only I'd had the good sense to do the same with Star Wars I'd be a far happier man.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Thats terrible! Why are they bringing back Spyro anyway? He was never good! His design is horrid in this one, at least he looked normal before.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
You know what the worst part is?

Activision are considering making another Crash Bandicoot game, which means he might get the same treatment as Spyro.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
torzath said:

Try watching the redesign in action.
It's not that bad. Yeah, it's still kinda ugly, but not quite as bad as that one screenshot. The trailer I posted there is for dark spyro, but he's just a recolor, nothing different.

Besides, as someone has pointed out, this is targeted at kids who wouldn't be familiar with the old Spyro anyway. Also, this game has 31 other characters for you to buy and despite the name, Spyro is no more important to the plot or gameplay than any of the others. This is a Skylanders game, not a Spyro game and I really wish they would have just left him out of it.

But be expecting more of this. Every time I look at a display in a store, it looks like rapid wolves have attacked it, so I'd say the game is selling well, and at eight dollars a pop for each character, very profitable too.
That actually made it worse for me.

HalfBakedCheeto

Aug 20, 2011
No, just no.

Did you know you can't even jump in the game? (No, I wouldn't dare buy it, I watched an LP for half an hour) No gems, no sparx, no spyro, just think of it as him on drugs, dirty rotten drugs, after been in hospital for 2 months, for cancer... and dead.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
Im sorry but there has never been a spyro game after 1 and 2.

You are probably thinking about Sbyro. The cheap crappier knock off.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Spyro was a cute dragon with a simplistic but fitting design, i don't know what the artist or developers were thinking but all i know is that they kind of ruined it the series.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Usually I don't get upset over redesigns but thats just awful. What were the devs thinking on this?