Poll: Star Wars The Old Republic: Which side do you choose?

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Well, I'm probably not going to play the game, but the Sith Empire sounds more appealing. From what I've read and heard, you can play "paragon" or "renegade" (to use the phrases from another game) on either side of the conflict, and being the Good Guy On The Wrong Team? is not something that many games allow you to do.

Also, I love the Inquisitor's crazy armor designs.

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
Sixcess said:
Ryank1908 said:
I'm only going Sith because my friends guild is going to be Sith. My heart lies with the Trooper.
Same here. If I get dragged into the game by a friend I'll end up on the Darkside because they will be. However I will sneak off when noone is looking to play my Femshep Trooper instead.

I've not been too taken with some of Bioware's handling of the evil characters. Some of the Sith tend to come across as campy when they're meant to be scary and...

...if you go darkside as a Sith Warrior the conversation sequences can be frustrating, given that Mission Vette will react negatively to just about every darkside option you're given. Go lightside or kiss goodbye to gaining any affection with this companion appears to be the message, which I felt was unduly manipulative for the first companion of the class.
I on the other hand am actually a big fan of how Bioware made the Sith - especially the light side options. The idea of playing a Sith who is not really inherently evil is awesome, to me. And I really like their voice acting - the agent, especially. But I've just always preferred the aesthetics and motives of the Republic.

I actually like that they gave you a light side slave companion. She might react badly to things but if you're evil why would you care? Just zappy zap her. Affection is abritary anyhow. Btw, spoiler in a spoiler, don't read on if you haven't gotten too far with the Warrior storyline. You can sleep with a lord's wife and force Vette to stay. You lose affection, yeah, but who cares? It's hilarious!

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
Rednog said:
To be honest, I'm on the fence and I really wish they had a neutral choice, ie make it jedi vs sith and have bounty hunter, mercenary, etc as a neutral faction.
My general problem with the starwars universe is that they like to paint things as very black and white, you're either the anal retentive lawful good jedi who follows the rules so strictly that it cripples you, or you're the demonic sith lord who beats old women to death with the corpses of their husbands and eats babies for a snack.
Sadly the choice on most pvp servers will be to go Sith.
Unless you're insanely masochistic and want to get camped and ganked to death.
This may tip your mind a little. You can play a light side sith, or a dark side jedi (or any of the other classes.) It's a very interesting mechanic that means you always feel like your own moral choices are relevant, and you're not simply RP'ing as Sauron.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I think my friends were thinking about setting up a team as the sith. But don't know. I think I might just play as a jedi when playing alone.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
The Sith will almost certainly have the most people.

That said, I'm rolling a Trooper. Me and Lassiter are gonna fuck up some bitches.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Ryank1908 said:
Rednog said:
To be honest, I'm on the fence and I really wish they had a neutral choice, ie make it jedi vs sith and have bounty hunter, mercenary, etc as a neutral faction.
My general problem with the starwars universe is that they like to paint things as very black and white, you're either the anal retentive lawful good jedi who follows the rules so strictly that it cripples you, or you're the demonic sith lord who beats old women to death with the corpses of their husbands and eats babies for a snack.
This may tip your mind a little. You can play a light side sith, or a dark side jedi (or any of the other classes.) It's a very interesting mechanic that means you always feel like your own moral choices are relevant, and you're not simply RP'ing as Sauron.
Yea, but the sad part is (at least from my impression from the beta) is that you're basically forced to go one way or the other in order to reap the best rewards, they kind of take away your choice in a case by case basis. Once you choose light or dark you pretty have to stick with it for the best stuff.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I plan on having two characters. One for the Empire and one for The Republic. I am most likely going to create a trooper and an Imperial Agent. I may also try a Bounty Hunter as well.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, I wanted to play a Jedi Guardian, but everyone I know wants to play as Bounty Hunters, Imperial Agents, or Sith Inquisitors. So Sith Warrior it is. At least I get to Force Choke people. That makes me happy.

On a totally unrelated note. One of my goals in the game is to knock someone into a Sarlac Pit on Tatooine. One of the Developers implied that is possible.

JordanXlord said:
Rednog said:
i am playing as Sith but i'm going to be a Sith with Morals, as in i will kill those who harm slaves and those who want me dead, if this guy begged for his life i would spare him,

my Sith is going to be that guy if you befriend he won't stab you in the back, but if you annoy him or try to kill him he will Force lighting your ass
Yeah, I think I'm going to be playing the same more or less. I heard that Light Side Sith are still Sith, they just are more loyal to the Empire, less in it for themselves. Considering that I found all the dark side option when I was playing a Guardian in the beta to be sheer dick moves just for the sake of itself, I can believe that. On the bright side, at least relationships won't earn me dark side points like it does for Jedi.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Ryank1908 said:
Sixcess said:
Ryank1908 said:
I'm only going Sith because my friends guild is going to be Sith. My heart lies with the Trooper.
Same here. If I get dragged into the game by a friend I'll end up on the Darkside because they will be. However I will sneak off when noone is looking to play my Femshep Trooper instead.

I've not been too taken with some of Bioware's handling of the evil characters. Some of the Sith tend to come across as campy when they're meant to be scary and...

...if you go darkside as a Sith Warrior the conversation sequences can be frustrating, given that Mission Vette will react negatively to just about every darkside option you're given. Go lightside or kiss goodbye to gaining any affection with this companion appears to be the message, which I felt was unduly manipulative for the first companion of the class.
I on the other hand am actually a big fan of how Bioware made the Sith - especially the light side options. The idea of playing a Sith who is not really inherently evil is awesome, to me. And I really like their voice acting - the agent, especially. But I've just always preferred the aesthetics and motives of the Republic.

I actually like that they gave you a light side slave companion. She might react badly to things but if you're evil why would you care? Just zappy zap her. Affection is abritary anyhow. Btw, spoiler in a spoiler, don't read on if you haven't gotten too far with the Warrior storyline. You can sleep with a lord's wife and force Vette to stay. You lose affection, yeah, but who cares? It's hilarious!
:O Congrats good sir, you have just convinced me to get it. They basically gave a light/dark side paths to both sides? So basically instead of just hero/villain, we have hero, anti-hero, anti-villain, villain?

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I will likely end up playing both over my time on SWTOR, eventually. But I will be starting as a Sith Marauder.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
LetalisK said:
Ryank1908 said:
Sixcess said:
Ryank1908 said:

:O Congrats good sir, you have just convinced me to get it. They basically gave a light/dark side paths to both sides? So basically instead of just hero/villain, we have hero, anti-hero, anti-villain, villain?
I played a Trooper for a few levels as a Dark Side character. One quest asked me to retrieve some stolen medical supplies. Found the thief was part of a refuge camp. And they were stolen from them. In order to get them back, the thief (who stole them to help the people in the camp) would tell me if I promised to bring the supplies back to them. I threatened to kill a kid, and that got me the information. Then I returned the stolen supplies to the person who asked me to get them in the first place. And a good number of the quests actually work like this.

Side note: There are no "Kill X of Y quests". The closest I saw was "Bonus: Kill X enemies" which was literally just an optional bonus on a quest to earn a little extra experience. These were usually pretty easy to do before you finished the quest. If you didn't, no harm.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
ravenshrike said:
Rednog said:
Yea, but the sad part is (at least from my impression from the beta) is that you're basically forced to go one way or the other in order to reap the best rewards, they kind of take away your choice in a case by case basis. Once you choose light or dark you pretty have to stick with it for the best stuff.
Or you can farm credits/gift parts and buy your companin's affection if it's that important to you. It's only a -1, get over it.
I never really got to deal with my companion he kept spazzing out and disappearing on me.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
ravenshrike said:
Rednog said:
ravenshrike said:
Rednog said:
Or you can farm credits/gift parts and buy your companin's affection if it's that important to you. It's only a -1, get over it.
I never really got to deal with my companion he kept spazzing out and disappearing on me.
Which beta were you in? The open one? Until you hit level 20 or so the companion storylines don't really start up. Most of it is endgame considering you can hit level 38 before getting your 3rd companion(not counting the ship droid). Also, all conversations are ship or certain cantina based.
I was in the early November one, I got into the thanksgiving one but my motherboard crapped out so I really couldn't do much else.
I was running around the heroic area for the Imperial Agent right after I got the companion and he basically glitched out on one of those enemy turrets and after that he pretty much did nothing and I couldn't take active cover, despite logging in and out.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
sith, but only because i like the imperial agent. i would much rather play as republic though. i dont like being mean

MilordoZ95

Dec 7, 2011
I'm going to play Sith, mostly for the British accents. Also, evil characters are more interesting to me.