Poll: Students launch a poster campaign against racist costume

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Blue Hero said:
I'm dressing up as Hitler, my friend is Stalin. Can we have someone launch a post campaign against us?
I'll go as a holocaust denier.

Also:

I like to imagine this girl is offended because she sees the Edward Cullen costume as racist against real vampires. Could they seriously not have found a better picture?

Sep 14, 2009
Silverfox99 said:
Personally, I would find it hilarious if someone showed up to a party dressed up in white face and as a redneck.
my friend has you covered then, he is doing that this saturday, he has FULL GEAR:

john deere hat, toothpick in mouth, can of chew in his backpocket, scraggly jeans, cut off plaid shirt, beer spilled white shirt underneath, and motherfucking boots on.

OT:

chiggerwood said:
This is stupidity on the grandest of scales. If you're that offended by a Halloween costume, please get your head out of your ass. There are real racist in the world that you could be protesting; there are actual injustices that you could stand up against. Sex slavery, starvation, AIDS and holocaust denial, human rights violations the list goes on and on. Why not put your time, money, and energy into something worthwhile!?

I have no idea why this got me so worked up.
annddd agreed.

my head is so full of fuck right now.

fuck this shit.

999realthings

Jun 23, 2011
Treblaine said:
999realthings said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053134/Students-launch-poster-campaign-racist-Halloween-costumes.html
I gotta this have to one of the most pointless and trying to hard to be politically correct things I have seen in a while.
While the Arab suicide bomber costume is offensive and probably shouldn't be worn, everything else is quite tame. The geisha outfit, the Mexican outfit and maybe the ghetto outfit.
Personally, I'm Asian and I went to Halloween as a Viet Cong. So people need to get over and have laugh in life or am I being to racially insentive

"As a Tranyslvanian I am incensed at the insinuation that all people from this region are blood sucking creatures of the night. I am a culture, not a costume..."

I don't know if that arab kid even exists or if he is just a model posing for this psy-ops campaign but the "This is NOT my culture" is weasel word claim ANYONE EVER THOUGH IT WAS REPRESENTATIVE OF HIS CULTURE!

He is making light of ONE ASPECT of a condemned practice in a region you happen to come from. And people have to make light of horrible things or else we go crazy.

Dressing up as Dracula is NOT stating in any kind of racist way that that all people of Eastern Europe are vampires!

I hope this starts a meme of parodies of this, like photoshop Bela Lugosi holding up a pic of the Muppet Count.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/190/778/tumblr_lti0drGN5p1qz8bx8.png?1319496965

Wait no longer, it has already started.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
I immediately wonder if they have a Fat Redneck costume with a beer gut, a mullet, and a "don't tread on me, I've got the nukes" shirt. I would laugh my ass off over that. And yes, I am American.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Erm, people should get over fucking poor taste...

But seriously, I don't understand the thought process behind it.

Someone dresses up as a middle eastern terrorist, a boy from the middle east is angry about it? Surely the costume isn't slandering the entire middle east... it's slandering terrorism in the middle east? So why is he upset, surely he should be doing the same? Is he in fact a terrorist? And unhappy that he is making fun of terrorists? If anything, he's insinuating that.

I dunno, I just think that if somebody dressed up as an IRA terrorist, nobody would give two shits, but because it's a terrorist in the middle east, then that's suddenly an instantly racist thing to do, because they are nothing but victims.

And besides, if it's not who you are, then why are you even angry about it? Because it has nothing to do with you in that case...

I always thought hat's how most costumes work... You take a popular cultural icon, and use it for comic effect... If you get offended by that, then sorry. But freaking deal with it... It's not totally destroying your identity as a person...

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
I'll just say this, they're costumes. It's Halloween. Some are in poor taste, to be sure, but there doesn't seem to be anything malicious about it. I'll also say this, there is no reason for these people to be angry about the suicide bomber or geisha costumes as those aren't stereotyping a culture. P.J. O'Rourke commented on something like this in his book "All the Trouble in the World." The University of Miami (in Ohio) was debating (and still is probably) whether the school's Redskin mascot was racist. "...they (the supporters of the Redskin mascot) claimed that the Redskin moniker couldn't be racist, because people don't name themselves after groups they don't like, or as I would say there are no sports teams called the Detroit N*ggers, the New York K@kes, or the Dallas Drunk White Trash." I believe that this argument is applicable to this debate as well.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
999realthings said:
Treblaine said:
999realthings said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053134/Students-launch-poster-campaign-racist-Halloween-costumes.html
I gotta this have to one of the most pointless and trying to hard to be politically correct things I have seen in a while.
While the Arab suicide bomber costume is offensive and probably shouldn't be worn, everything else is quite tame. The geisha outfit, the Mexican outfit and maybe the ghetto outfit.
Personally, I'm Asian and I went to Halloween as a Viet Cong. So people need to get over and have laugh in life or am I being to racially insentive

"As a Tranyslvanian I am incensed at the insinuation that all people from this region are blood sucking creatures of the night. I am a culture, not a costume..."

I don't know if that arab kid even exists or if he is just a model posing for this psy-ops campaign but the "This is NOT my culture" is weasel word claim ANYONE EVER THOUGH IT WAS REPRESENTATIVE OF HIS CULTURE!

He is making light of ONE ASPECT of a condemned practice in a region you happen to come from. And people have to make light of horrible things or else we go crazy.

Dressing up as Dracula is NOT stating in any kind of racist way that that all people of Eastern Europe are vampires!

I hope this starts a meme of parodies of this, like photoshop Bela Lugosi holding up a pic of the Muppet Count.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/190/778/tumblr_lti0drGN5p1qz8bx8.png?1319496965

Wait no longer, it has already started.
LOVE IT!

The internet works fast.

I hope this "campaign" gets run into the ground by this meme, and it looks like it's leading the theme on knowyourmeme

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/190778-were-a-culture-not-a-costume#.TqlQr94UqnA

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/were-a-culture-not-a-costume#.TqlQvt4UqnA

Grow, little meme. GROW!

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
justnotcricket said:
Hm. While I agree that it's uncool to have your culture mocked, I think you have to take a minute to try and work out whether or not any racism is actually intended by the costume.

For example, if I (a European female) were to dress as a 'geisha', it would in no way be in order to denigrate the section of Japanese female society who are geisha. It would be because I think kimono are gorgeous, and the women who wear them are super elegant. I mean, sure, if someone's 'geisha' costume is basically a tiny cherry-blossom print kimono nightie and some overblown red lipstick and rouge, then that's a bit unkind, but you still have to wonder if there's any real hate going on. After all, anyone who dresses like that is only making fun of themselves, in the end.

The suicide bomber is not *necessarily* racist, but is *always* tasteless =(

Still - perhaps protest the KKK, or some group that really *intends* hate toward other cultures?
If you managed to dress as a proper Geisha, with the fully layered kimono and all, you'd get some serious kudos for actually researching your costume. I read in a set of memoirs or something that in Japan itself, the way you told a Geisha from a Prostitute (as the two are very far removed from one another) is that a Geisha's kimono was tied at the back: a prostitute's at the front for easy removal.

All in all the campaign seems kind of lame but I can at least sympathise with the black girl, 'cos black face, if it was ever funny, is not funny now. That said, there are perhaps better causes that you could direct your energies towards.

Dec 16, 2009
A mistake which has just been pointed out to me is i said "Muslim" instead of "Arab"
also, making a mistake apparently makes me an idiot.
reported and moved on.

If the complaints are on the side of "this is racist towards Arabs" my simple response would be get over it, theres plenty of Frenchman, Irish man etc costumes out there.

If its defending suicide bombers, well I aint even going there as i doubt i have to

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I was expecting something along the lines of someone dressed up as a member of the KKK or something equally distasteful, but what I saw just made me laugh.

I don't get it. Why would someone say "This is not what I am?" Does this mean that that costume is digging at muslims/arabs or something? Why would it offend them? it's not calling the people terrorists or suicide bombers, it's just a man dressed up as a suicide bomber.

DSK KANNIX!

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Online comments have urged the students behind the campaign to 'get a sense of humour'
Get a sense of humour, you oversensitive crybabies.

Treblaine said:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/were-a-culture-not-a-costume#.TqlQvt4UqnA

Grow, little meme. GROW!
Oh God, I'm laughing my arse off at this.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
I get really sick when people dress up in costumes that castigate any ethnicity based on stereotypes, be it southern/agrarian whites or blacks lower on the economic scale.

The issue with racism though is that minorities are typically the ones targeted worse and there's a history of attacking minorities with these kinds of things. The reason this campaign hasn't brought up white folks is because white folks are the folks that have been in power in this country socially since it's inception. So while I would agree about the need to defend whites from stereotyping just like anyone else, I'm not going to say this movement is bad because of it.

That's like saying it's stupid to help starving people because there's people with food who are hungry now. White folks already have the cultural capital for the most part, so the campaign is targeting whom it can do the most good for.

Also, I wouldn't say people getting into those stupid costumes are racist, but they're doing a racist thing, and it's disgusting and needs to stop. As a black guy, I'm really tired of seeing all these other motherfuckers running around in black face making racist jokes about fried chicken and shit like the Civil War is about to be lost so they're getting it in as hard as they can before the surrender.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'm a Muslim and the only reason why I wouldn't dress as a suicide bomber is that the police around here are so stupid that they'd probably think I'm actually a real one.
So to answer your question, no I don't support them.
Also, what if I would dress as a stereotypical white guy, isn't that racist as well? Why are there only a few stereotypes mentioned? If they really want to be taken seriously and make this stop then they have to support at least most stereotypes, otherwise this is just hypocritical.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Zeldias said:
I get really sick when people dress up in costumes that castigate any ethnicity based on stereotypes, be it southern/agrarian whites or blacks lower on the economic scale.

The issue with racism though is that minorities are typically the ones targeted worse and there's a history of attacking minorities with these kinds of things. The reason this campaign hasn't brought up white folks is because white folks are the folks that have been in power in this country socially since it's inception. So while I would agree about the need to defend whites from stereotyping just like anyone else, I'm not going to say this movement is bad because of it.

That's like saying it's stupid to help starving people because there's people with food who are hungry now. White folks already have the cultural capital for the most part, so the campaign is targeting whom it can do the most good for.

Also, I wouldn't say people getting into those stupid costumes are racist, but they're doing a racist thing, and it's disgusting and needs to stop. As a black guy, I'm really tired of seeing all these other motherfuckers running around in black face making racist jokes about fried chicken and shit like the Civil War is about to be lost so they're getting it in as hard as they can before the surrender.
I'm black and I find the black face, fried chicken jokes and what not to be funny as hell. A costume is just that a costume if you can't handle what somebody dressed up as, it's 100% your problem not theirs.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Mallefunction said:
Silverfox99 said:
My problem with the campaign is that it is racist.

First they don't show anyone making fun of rednecks or any other white stereotype. If it is offensive to dress up like another culture then all cultures should be represented, by the logic of their own argument.

I know that this was designed to highlight minority groups but that's where the problem occurs. Racism can and does effect all races and it wont end until all racism stops not just against minority races.

Personally, I would find it hilarious if someone showed up to a party dressed up in white face and as a redneck.
Pretty much this. I see tons of redneck costumes all the time as well as Roman glad/toga costumes, and other Angloesque shit. But it's ONLY racist if it's against non-whites.

Yes these costumes are in poor taste, but I don't think they are truly racist (racists rarely dress up as the groups they dislike because they usually consider themselves better than said race. Only people who want to get attention or some laughs do this kind of thing).
Making fun of rednecks isn't racist, they're just a demographic. I grew up in the south and I can absolutely confirm there are black and Hispanic rednecks too. The white ones are just way more visible and more common.

The problem I had with these people getting "offended" is that none of the pictures appear to be furthering any offensive stereotypes, just representing some commonly recognized and possibly inaccurate aspect of a culture. So the Asian is offended because some white girl dressed as a geisha? Why? Because geishas weren't white? So that means no white person can ever dress as a member of another culture without being racist?

It's the same concept as the redneck thing. They are a visible single facet of what is often white people.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
The thing is, racism and sexism and homophobia still exist. That there is the problem. They all exist in this horrible covert grey area where every place they crop up, it can be argued someone is either too sensitive, or it never happened. People don't get jobs or apartments and other than the boss/owner looking at you kind of suspiciously, you won't know why. Or less overt, people saying 'fag' as an insult and then turning around and pretending they don't think there is anything wrong with being gay. Or people immediately thinking of lazy guys in sombrero's with donkeys when asked to think of a Mexican.

As long as these things exist in real life, one can never know if someones is being funny and making a point, or if they are just bigot and either don't realize or don't care. As someone who has to occasionally deal with homophobia and sexism, I can understand how someone might be reminded of such things and have negative feelings. Imagine you go to a party expecting to have a good time and you are instead greeted by someone who is dressed in a costume of the worst stereotype of your race you can think of. It can't be fun and the person wearing it is now being questioned as to their motives. Is someone who thinks this is funny really someone I want to be friends with? Regardless of their motives, that is telling.

If you are okay with bigotry and inequality in the smallest form, then where do you draw the line, when exactly does what you do/say become racist and not just 'a joke'? Is it when you mean it? Because the people you are directing it at have no idea whether you mean it or not. So you are essentially saying, "Some people might misinterpret this and get upset, but I don't really care if I upset anyone because my fun is way more important and I am either incapable of having fun unless it's at someone else's expense or I am too lazy/not creative enough to think of an actual funny thing to do/say that doesn't have the potential to hurt anyone's feelings." The you expect people not to call you a bigot afterwards?

When someone tells you they were hurt by something you did/said, and your response is:
"Fuck you, it was a joke." or "I can say what I want, you are just censoring me." or "There isn't problem.", then you are an asshole. You are supposed to care how you affect other people in the world. You are supposed to not be a selfish jackass. Sure you have the right to be one, but don't get pissed when people call you on it.

Your response when someone tells you that you have hurt them is supposed to be something like: "I'm sorry, I will try not to do it in the future." followed by an attempt to actually learn what you did wrong so you actually can not do it again.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
(Face palm) ...I hate people sometimes. I really do.

,,,Granted, I find the "suicide bomber" costume idea to be pretty tasteless... but the rest? Not really...