Poll: Students launch a poster campaign against racist costume

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Jeez, these people should get over themselves.

Waah you're stereotyping my culture, and vikings never even wore horned helmets *sob*

I should probably write something well thought out and insightful here, but I don't think this campaign warrants such an amount of attention on my part.
It's simply retarded.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Frost27 said:
Making fun of rednecks isn't racist, they're just a demographic. I grew up in the south and I can absolutely confirm there are black and Hispanic rednecks too. The white ones are just way more visible and more common.

The problem I had with these people getting "offended" is that none of the pictures appear to be furthering any offensive stereotypes, just representing some commonly recognized and possibly inaccurate aspect of a culture. So the Asian is offended because some white girl dressed as a geisha? Why? Because geishas weren't white? So that means no white person can ever dress as a member of another culture without being racist?
I dunno, the redneck thing is a stereotype (just like all the costumes pictured) I think it applies just as well. Also, you can argue that the 'ghetto' costume is also a demographic I think in this case. It's all different flavors of the same thing, one is just a lot more socially acceptable than another.

And I know there are colored rednecks, it's like how there are white gangstas too. However these costumes are representing the stereotypes and those tend to also have a certain skin tone to go along with it.

Don't take this as me saying that I don't think people should ever dress as rednecks XD I'm against this ad campaign entirely. I think think that it's dumb that they act as if they are the only ones that this ever happens to.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
999realthings said:
dailymail
hmm... yeah, i think i found yer problem buddy.
Charles McGuffin said:
Exactly. No one should ever dress up as anything ever. Seriously. Kill Halloween.
yeah that sounds like what theyre going to do. i mean, if dressing up as another culture is racist, then i suppose vampires are racist because they were based on some insane foreigner (Vlad the Impaler). and zombies are like a new culture. and skeletons are offensive to our dead.
Sectan said:
Obligatory youtube post
Like he says, Being offended is subjective. Being Minnesotan doesn't mean I get offended by Norwegian jokes, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother someone else. It's impossible to make a sweeping "THAT X IS OFFENSIVE AND SHOULD BE REMOVED." statement about things.
yeah, that all makes sense. if someone makes a joke about my background i just laugh (if it was meant to be a joke/was hilariously shit) or call them a wanker.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Robert Ewing said:
I dunno, I just think that if somebody dressed up as an IRA terrorist, nobody would give two shits
Well that's good, I was worried my Halloween costume was going to be ruined. I'm not going out as a black & white minstrel for the third Halloween in a row.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Stublore said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
so suicide bombing is thier culture?
then they certainly dont deserve any support

as for being dressed as a suicide bomber being recist? not really, unless the campaigners are trying to say all muslims are suicide bombers? which i myself think as a statement is far more racist
Which proves, You sir are an idiot!!
Muslims are not a race.
Therefore one cannot be racist against muslims, on the basis that they are muslim!
Its racist against the entire Middle Eastern culture, not the fact that they're Muslims. The costume plays on the stereotype that Middle Eastern people are terrorist and that they're all suicide bombers and honestly, if I was middle eastern, I'd probably be offended by that as well.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
999realthings said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053134/Students-launch-poster-campaign-racist-Halloween-costumes.html
I gotta this have to one of the most pointless and trying to hard to be politically correct things I have seen in a while.
While the Arab suicide bomber costume is offensive and probably shouldn't be worn, everything else is quite tame. The geisha outfit, the Mexican outfit and maybe the ghetto outfit.
Personally, I'm Asian and I went to Halloween as a Viet Cong. So people need to get over and have laugh in life or am I being to racially insentive
ha. props for the VC outfit.

OT, for fuck sake find somethign better to spend your time on. i simply don't accept that what people wear or see on halloweens affects their outlooks. hell i plan to go as a ganster from pulp fiction; does this mean that i want to kill people? no.

now stop fucking around, pick a costume, can i suggests a box which has "lemon scented pussy wipes?" written down the side of it?

Venereus

May 9, 2010
Being morally offended is pointless. Now, when say, a Harvard Law student, says something racist, you should be politically threatened, not offended, because this person might very well rise to power and become able to enforce their racist views, and that's a real problem. I especially hate people who miss on a good joke because they go out of their way to get offended.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Dressing up as Flavor Flav or a Suicide Bomber have got to be some of the stupidest fucking costumes I've ever heard of. Do these costumes hurt anybody? No. Sticks and stones and all that. But there are honestly some costumes that are just fucking inappropriate. Don't like people calling you out on your inappropriate shit? Don't dress like a douchebag.

Suicide Bomber = racist? No, just inappropriate.

Other inappropriate costumes (aka, costumes in bad taste): a zombie Palestinian, Somali pirate, toothless hooker, a couple's costume - Redneck brother and sister... Hell one year I saw a Scottish guy (complete with kilt and accent) that had a sheep attached to his crotch. He thought it was funny as hell, but the only reason he pulled it off was because he was well liked and Scottish. That didn't make it any less inappropriate.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Blue Hero said:
I'm dressing up as Hitler, my friend is Stalin. Can we have someone launch a post campaign against us?
ooh, I now know what I'll be for halloween!

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
Only the suicide bomber has something even close to approaching a legitimate grievance, everyone else is a tit.

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
Silverfox99 said:
My problem with the campaign is that it is racist.

First they don't show anyone making fun of rednecks or any other white stereotype. If it is offensive to dress up like another culture then all cultures should be represented, by the logic of their own argument.

I know that this was designed to highlight minority groups but that's where the problem occurs. Racism can and does effect all races and it wont end until all racism stops not just against minority races.

Personally, I would find it hilarious if someone showed up to a party dressed up in white face and as a redneck.
So, by your logic, racism (these costumes are hardly racist) against *ahem*, "minority races", is bad, but racism against whites is comedic? I could actually care less what people dress up for on halloween, but your argument loses traction when you declare that dressing up as a black-stereotype is 'racist', but that going in white-face as a redneck is comedic.

Also, you would think that the 'protesters' would be intelligent enough to know that the costumes AREN'T geared toward being deliberately racist, and throwing every single race into a single category. For one, suicide bombers, geishas, and African-Americans who live in ghettos did and do exist. The costumes are meant to present condensed, simplified caricatures of a very specific subgroup of people. I don't know why an intelligent Asian person would immediately assume that when a person dresses up as a geisha, they are immediately lumping every Asian person into the category of geisha. As a test, tell me this. If you saw a person in a redneck costume, in white-face, would you immediately assume that this person is lumping every white person into the category of redneck? No? So why should a black person, upon seeing a man dressed as a highly stereotyped ghetto-dweller immediately assume that the costume wearer is lumping EVERY African-American into the category of ghetto-dweller?

This whole campaign stinks to me of some white-guilt bullshit from this Anti-racism group, not getting their goddamn priorities in order by having a group of students from minority groups in the United States to look depressed and heart-broken in front of a camera.

Also, there are a hell of lot more Asian people on this earth than Caucasians, buddy. They're hardly a 'minority race'.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
Get the hell over it, folks. If you're spending your time on something like this, then you have too much free time. Christ, people get offended by everything these days. Get your priorities straight and go tackle an actual problem.
I love you for today! XD

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
It seems a little silly, if I went as an Englishman I'd wear a suit with a bowler hat and an umbrella and be holding a cup of tea, everyone has stereotypes, out of those only the suicide bomber is even remotely close to being racist. Besides, one of my friends went as Hitler one year so that's got to be worse.

Also, for a fancy dress party I have to come as a Korean (it's an in joke that I'm secretly korean) and does anyone have any ideas about how I can do this without being racist?

But hey, I'm an upper middle class white male, so what do I know.

Ti0k0

Jun 22, 2011
Don't let them see this one:

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/file2221.png/]

It's a costume, to be worn at parties.
A suicidebomber has become a caricature of a group of people, (not a culture) and as long as people buy it, those 'offensive' costumes will be manufactured. You know why? Because it's FUN to dress up for a costume party!

Fun is subjective, just like so much in this world, deal with it.

BTW, this was my costume at my last American party:

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/30837426912041978677210.jpg/]

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
These posters are just asking to be abused on the internet like a meme. Which they already are, by the way. Best one I've seen is this.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Yeah, I feel like I'm pretty quick to jump in on actual issues of racism but...

These costumes (with the exception of the suicide bomber, and even that is mostly just in really bad taste) aren't really racist. While those kids in the posters may not like it, those costumes were actually traditional garments of their culture at some point (plus or minus a few details, and remember, Halloween is a lot of sensationalism and embellishment). Unless the people are running around in them yelling stereotypes, you could just as easily argue that they're promoting the (historical or modern) culture of a certain people.

You can argue "when little things are ignored, it promotes racism!", but it works both ways. When little things like this are blown up to a massive degree, it overshadows the ACTUAL issues where racism is legitimately harming people (i.e. the kind embedded in government institutions).

Treblaine said:

Grow, little meme. GROW!
Ah jeez. That's too funny.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
They need to learn to take a joke. Grow up. Realize that these people aren't dressing up in those costumes to offend you they're dressing up to have some fun and maybe get a laugh. Also the fact that there's nobody dressed as any kind of Caucasian stereotype is bullshit. You can't keep on acting like white people are the only people who can be racist. It's racist to imply that.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
chiggerwood said:
I have no idea why this got me so worked up.
Me, neither. So if you can't fight all the causes, you can't fight any of them?

Maybe the reason these folks have picked this particular cause is because this one they may actually be able to change. I can't cure cancer, I can just give money to people who think they can. I can't stop sex slavery -- I could "raise awareness," but who is there among us who doesn't already think it's wrong?

This cause is something that really does demonstrate quite a bit of insensitivity, and yet so many people don't see it as a problem. You realize that's exactly how some people feel about some instances of human trafficking, right? Because it's not a bother to them, it's "not a worthwhile cause."

Yeah, there are "real racists" in the world. The people that think these costumes are hilarious? They're among them. What you mean to say is that there are "worse" racists in the world. Yep. Very true. And those racists are too far gone to listen to anyone, because they fully know and admit they are racist. Someone who thinks it's fine to dress as the "lazy, donkey-riding Mexican" is someone who is a racist-in-denial.

It's not that they hate Mexicans. It's that they don't consider what the other person may feel about it. They consider that other person's culture to be nothing more than fuel for a goofy joke. That's a kind of racism -- it may be a "softer" or more "accidental" kind, but that's exactly what makes it worth pointing out.

If even one person looks at the poster and says, "Hmm... I hadn't really thought of it that way. I guess it is a little more rude than I thought, and for not much 'joke,' either," then this campaign has accomplished far more than a bumper sticker that trumpets some "real" cause that everyone already agrees with.

Whether or not you agree with the topic of the campaign, the fact is that this is exactly the kind of campaign these kids should fight -- because it's something they actually have the power to start changing.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Blue Hero said:
I'm dressing up as Hitler, my friend is Stalin. Can we have someone launch a post campaign against us?
You would be the most awesome people in the world if you staged a light-sabre duel and shouted dialogue from Downfall at each other (humerus subtitles added in later).