Poll: Students launch a poster campaign against racist costume

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
Stublore said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
so suicide bombing is thier culture?
then they certainly dont deserve any support

as for being dressed as a suicide bomber being recist? not really, unless the campaigners are trying to say all muslims are suicide bombers? which i myself think as a statement is far more racist
edit to add[in the words of Homer Simpson]
Which proves, in the words of Homer Simpson "You sir are an idiot!!"
Muslims are not a race.
Therefore one cannot be racist against muslims, on the basis that they are muslim!
Its racist against the entire Middle Eastern culture, not the fact that they're Muslims. The costume plays on the stereotype that Middle Eastern people are terrorist and that they're all suicide bombers and honestly, if I was middle eastern, I'd probably be offended by that as well.
It seems some people on this site do not have a basic understanding of the English language.
Middle Eastern Culture IS NOT A RACE.
Therefore one, on that basis cannot be racist against Middle Eastern Culture.
A "race" insofar as the concept exists is based upon DNA, inheritance of certain features etc.
There is no gene for islam, there is no gene for Middle Eastern Culture, so crying racist only shows one's ignorance when claiming it is racist, or at worst is an attempt to shut down discussion by playing the PC bogeyman, race!

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
chiggerwood said:
there are actual injustices that you could stand up against. Sex slavery, starvation, AIDS and HOLOCAUST DENIAL, human rights violations the list goes on and on. Why not put your time, money, and energy into something worthwhile!?
Holocaust denial is an actual thing? I can't even...I don't...really?

OT: This is ridiculous, and I agree that these students have their heart in the right place but not their brains. They should redirect their energy towards something that actually matters.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
why isn't there a white guy being pissed about a Hispanic/Afro-American/Arabic guy costumed as a redneck or white trash? isn't that the same as a white guy/girl dressed as suicide bomber/mariachi dancer/suicide terrorist?
seriously guys SHUT THE FUCK UP! don,t get pissed when somebody pokes fun at you can,t stand it don,t go to Halloween parties stay at home and watch some horror movies or solve some real problems like world hunger
also:

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
sapphireofthesea said:
I might disagree with your belief that the bomber has no "clear identifiers." The headwear is distinctly Middle Eastern, at least in the minds of most folks.

But really, I don't disagree with what you're saying. To me, the purpose of the campaign is simply to make people think a bit more about it. If you can sit down and honestly say that you see nothing wrong with the costume, wear it. But if you can't be 100% certain, maybe pick something else. That's a victory, I think.

It's not about making the problem disappear... it's, ironically, about making the problem visible. After that, most of it takes care of itself.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Spot1990 said:
As an Irsh guy I give you full permission to dress as a leprechaun this hallowe'en. Get drunk and have fun Escapist because here on the Emerald Isle we have a fucking sense of humour about ourselves.
I should totally dress as an IRA bomber.
It's okay, I'm a Brummie; it was MY pubs they blew up!

But seriously, how ridiculous. It's political correctness gawn maaaaahd I tells ya!
Oh, it's the Daily Mail. That explains everything.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
sravankb said:
They should be allowed to wear whatever they want for Halloween.

That being said, I don't want to meet the people responsible for the black girl and the suicide bomber "outfits". I personally find them to be quite tasteless.
What exactly is so offensive about the black girl one?
Is it some twisted and convoluted thing about white men oppressing blacks, once again sucking the life from blacks or something?
Seriously, of all the pictures, I cannot see what is offensive with a gay vampire biting a black person!

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Wheres the white people being incorrectly portrayed in Halloween costumes? Oh wait, there aren't any? I see, so its obviously a bunch of minorities who just discovered their heritage and get all butthurt when they see someone joking around about their minority.

teeth

Nov 22, 2009
...so suicide bombing counts as part of a culture and shouldn't be made fun of

coz that's kind of what that part of the campaign is saying

any way its just a bunch of students getting a bit of attention

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
Use_Imagination_here said:
ediblemitten said:
Silverfox99 said:
My problem with the campaign is that it is racist.

First they don't show anyone making fun of rednecks or any other white stereotype. If it is offensive to dress up like another culture then all cultures should be represented, by the logic of their own argument.

I know that this was designed to highlight minority groups but that's where the problem occurs. Racism can and does effect all races and it wont end until all racism stops not just against minority races.

Personally, I would find it hilarious if someone showed up to a party dressed up in white face and as a redneck.
So, by your logic, racism (these costumes are hardly racist) against *ahem*, "minority races", is bad, but racism against whites is comedic?
...Note how he never actually said or implied that racism against minority groups isn't comedic.
:I

Whoops, misread something in the original post... I'm now realizing I actually don't have as big a problem with his original argument as I thought I did.

/faceplam

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
That was kinda racist, and people really should have better taste. Not much more to say about it, it isn't the worst thing I've ever seen, probably not worth a revolution or lynch crowd.

Edit: For clarification, if you made me choose, I'd support the poster campaign, since the costumes are poor taste and a bit racist, whereas the campaign is just a bit over-reactionary.

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
Apparently my shameful shenanigans got noticed by our almighty modbot (pbuh) and has given me a fair warning for daring, DARING I SAY, to post a youtube video without some other content. I have given myself the mandatory 20 lashes and am prepared to stay on the path of righteousness this time around. So in great shame and regret, I post this video again in hope for forgiveness and understanding:

darkonnis

Apr 8, 2010
Something I have found to be odd, but mostly true.
People call it stereotyping, but I've found all stereotypes often have truths however small hiding behind them.
They need to get a grip, its people are are so sensitive to these things that are whats wrong with the world. I'm a caring sharing kinda guy but you have to draw a line at what a joke is and whats in good spirit and what isnt. This clearly isnt meant maliciously, to whoever made the posters needs open their eyes and actually enjoy life.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Stublore said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Stublore said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
so suicide bombing is thier culture?
then they certainly dont deserve any support

as for being dressed as a suicide bomber being recist? not really, unless the campaigners are trying to say all muslims are suicide bombers? which i myself think as a statement is far more racist
edit to add[in the words of Homer Simpson]
Which proves, in the words of Homer Simpson "You sir are an idiot!!"
Muslims are not a race.
Therefore one cannot be racist against muslims, on the basis that they are muslim!
Its racist against the entire Middle Eastern culture, not the fact that they're Muslims. The costume plays on the stereotype that Middle Eastern people are terrorist and that they're all suicide bombers and honestly, if I was middle eastern, I'd probably be offended by that as well.
It seems some people on this site do not have a basic understanding of the English language.
Middle Eastern Culture IS NOT A RACE.
Therefore one, on that basis cannot be racist against Middle Eastern Culture.
A "race" insofar as the concept exists is based upon DNA, inheritance of certain features etc.
There is no gene for islam, there is no gene for Middle Eastern Culture, so crying racist only shows one's ignorance when claiming it is racist, or at worst is an attempt to shut down discussion by playing the PC bogeyman, race!
I don't believe I ever called it racist. Can you point me where I explicitly said that the image is racist? I was simply pointing out that the image isn't focusing on just Muslims when it refers to middle eastern culture.while you believed it was about Muslims only, when the culture is the entire middle east in general. Besides, not even the people involved in that poster are calling it racist. They call it offensive to their culture, big difference.

That said, please do not insult the entire community. Its only going to get you in trouble.

May 29, 2011
ediblemitten said:
Use_Imagination_here said:
ediblemitten said:
Silverfox99 said:
My problem with the campaign is that it is racist.

First they don't show anyone making fun of rednecks or any other white stereotype. If it is offensive to dress up like another culture then all cultures should be represented, by the logic of their own argument.

I know that this was designed to highlight minority groups but that's where the problem occurs. Racism can and does effect all races and it wont end until all racism stops not just against minority races.

Personally, I would find it hilarious if someone showed up to a party dressed up in white face and as a redneck.
So, by your logic, racism (these costumes are hardly racist) against *ahem*, "minority races", is bad, but racism against whites is comedic?
...Note how he never actually said or implied that racism against minority groups isn't comedic.
:I

Whoops, misread something in the original post... I'm now realizing I actually don't have as big a problem with his original argument as I thought I did.

/faceplam
Don't worry, it happens to everyone. Except me. Because I'm perfect. And handsome.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Political correctness is ruining our cultures. Just as the OP, I agree that those costumes are fine for the most part, with the exception being the suicide bomber. maybe take off the bombs and it'll be fine.

zarix2311

Dec 15, 2010
oh god, like, all these costumes are, like, soooooooooooo racist, like, right I mean, like, this is soooooo bad, like, we we need to fix this, like, right guys? *YA! we already got all of our homework done, So let's go fix the world*
BY PROTESTING SOME FUCKING HALLOWEEN COSTUMES! GOD! THIS IS STUPID. OUT OF ALL THE HORRIBLE SHIT THEY COULD BE PROTESTING, IT'S A HALLOWEEN COSTUME THAT THEY DIDN'T LIKE! THE ONLY THING THAT IS OFFENSIVE IN THESE PICTURES IS THE GUY IN THE TWILIGHT VAMPIRE OUTFIT!