Poll: Sub or Dub?

All Hail Lelouch

Feb 5, 2010
This question has been lingering in my head ever since i watched the english Dub for Yu Yu Hakusho. In that show is some of the best dubbing i have ever seen.

Frankly, I would prefer a show dubbed any day simply because i like to here english words rather than Japanese gibberish. How 'bout you?

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
I will watch the version I think was done better depending on what I am watching.

Restricting yourself to one or the other causes you to miss out.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
All Hail Lelouch said:
Frankly, I would prefer a show dubbed any day simply because i like to here english words rather than Japanese gibberish. How 'bout you?
I agree.

Subed is nice every now and then, when I have time to sit and focus on the screen. (Just about never) I usually end up multitasking and need the dub.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I prefer dub because I can connect to it more, and properly get the timing to some parts. I don't mind watching subtitles if that's the only option though.

thedevilscousin

Nov 14, 2010
I usually watch it in original japanese, the subs are usually mandatory but i don't need them since i speak the language.... So i tend to download anime from japanese sites instead of others.

In the case of dub, I have watched Hellsing (the old series) and Trigun subbed, 'twas ok.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Eh, dub saves me from having to read the screen. Which is good, because I usually just have it on for background noise.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Eh, I prefer most animé subbed, but there are a few exceptions for the ones I have seen. Most notably (Or at least, the ones I remember) FMA, NGE (Yes, I didn't find it that bad, although I prefer the original dub actors for Shinji's classmates Toji and Kensuke, and of course, Gendo. Old English voice actor sounded better for the role. The new voice actors for them sound a bit whiny, which is meant to be reserved for Shinji. Oh, and of course, the original Kaworu dub was better than the new one.), and Chobits.
There are others I've watched dubbed, I just can't remember them right now >.>
So, mostly prefer subbed, but there can be some dubbed gems.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.279534-Poll-Dubbed-or-Subbed

there are several others, too, but that one was the most recent. sorry to be a dick.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Sub, I won't even watch dubs.

Frankly, I even have problems with original dubs, such as split cantonese/mandarin audio where the actors speak different languages (so in fact there is no "original" language). I guess I'm somewhat familiar with lip-reading, or something like that, since I react strongly even when I don't understand the language.

Of course, that doesn't matter when it comes to anime, but anyhoo.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I honestly prefer dubs, because A) I don't have to keep looking at the screen, and B) I at least recognize the voices.

That being said, I don't mind the occasional sub, usually when there's no dub of that show out yet.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Depends on the setting and the quality of each (well, largely of the dub, since I don't understand Japanese, so the tonal inflections is all that can bother me there).

If set in Japan, I'll go with the subbed version unless the dub is extraordinary.

If set elsewhere I'll go with the dubbed version unless it's inferior to the subbed version in my ears.

So a slight preference towards dubs I suppose.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Subs, mainly because I watch things with high pitched little girls, and high pitched little girls sound better when speaking Japanese then they do when speaking English.

That and I like subs for karaoke/the extra style they add to certain series.

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
My bf introduced me to anime and he always watches subs so Ive never watched a dub. Think I would prefer subs anyway.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Sinclose said:
Subbed, with some rare exceptions.

'Monster' when dubbed in French makes the Japanese voice acting seem absolutely horrendous in comparison.
Whoa. At points you would have a Japanese man speaking German in a French accent. That is mad...

Darwins_Folly

Jan 16, 2010
Live action I always prefer subs. There are quite a few anime with superior english voice acting, where the dub is way better than the subtitles.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Subbed, because it's rare for most dubs to be well done.

But since I only ever watch reruns of Cowboy Bebop, dubs.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Jamboxdotcom said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.279534-Poll-Dubbed-or-Subbed

there are several others, too, but that one was the most recent. sorry to be a dick.
Knew I posted on something similar to this... sorry, identical.

Anyway, I'll go with the same response:

SckizoBoy said:
Where's the option for Raw - since I understand Japanese fluently?!
EDIT: Apologies, I'm not always this much of a jerk...

Kokujo Long

Dec 9, 2010
Dub mostly but if its bad sub. I can tell when English actor sucks but with Japanese actors I can't tell.
But with something like Hellsing it makes more sense to watch it in english.