Poll: Sub or Dub?

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
If the dub is good I prefer the dub, just because I can identify with it easier. I can watch in subs if there's no other option though.

Also, and this may just be me, some Japanese voices really grate on my nerves. DBZ's Goku for example, he sounds like he's 10. There's others, but it just doesn't work for me. It's the same any time they try and do an accent in Japanese, it just doesn't sound right.

Also I feel that this should be posted, as a plus for subs.

edit: I ended up watching the first 40 episodes of FMA Brotherhood dubbed in english and then watch the rest in subs. Since i'd been used to the english voices all through the first FMA anime and the first 40 episodes of Brotherhood I couldn't see the characters sounding any different. I never got used to the new voices and sometimes when a character was talking off screen i'd get lost.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I prefer subs whether the show/film is in Japanese, French, German, or Salarian. Heck I even prefer watching English and Swedish stuff with subtitles, in their own language. What? I can't always hear what they say >_> I grew up with subtitles being prevalent part of TV so it feels weird without it...

But sometimes the subs can suck. I can't remember the show, if it was ER or Bones or something else, but basically someone's bleeding out and someone else shouts something like, "He's hemorrhaging!" The subtitles translated it into Swedish as, "He has hemorroids!"

facepalm.gif

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Subbed I have no problem reading and most of the time the Japanese voice actors are better, this also include movies and animation from other countries.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
All depends. Sometimes the subs are better than the dubs others the dubs are better than the subs. I do have to say that Kamen Rider Kabuto dubbed is HILARIOUSLY bad though.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Mostly subbed because there's either always an annoying voice in the main group or the voice actors are just awful.

Thirsk

Jan 18, 2009
Voted subbed. But hardly seeing any japanese shows at all, I might fall without the group of interest. All I know is that almost every dubbed piece of film I've ever seen have had horrible dubs compared to the original language.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I prefer subtitles. No specific reason, it just sounds better to me.

icyneesan said:
Subs, mainly because I watch things with high pitched little girls, and high pitched little girls sound better when speaking Japanese then they do when speaking English.
This is both weird and completely true. Unless we're talking about voices in the upper range of human hearing (Chiyo-chan), Japanese voice actresses tend to have a much softer timbre when doing high-pitched voices.

That's not to say that there aren't English dub actresses who do a good job with Japanese characters, of course (games are doing better than anime in this department, imho). They just have to avoid mimicking the original, otherwise it's going to end up being pretty sharp and painful.
Vampire cat said:
Some animated movies dubbed to Norwegian are actually better than their English counter-parts, somehow they make jokes work a billion times better, no idea why. Admittedly, some Norwegian voices are awful, and they never do good in "real" movies and TV series.
They probably work better for you because it's your first language and you don't need to process the dialogue to understand it. Timing is pretty important for jokes, after all.

[sub]That said, I never liked any of those dubs. Norwegian actors have absolutely no grasp of subtlety, in my opinion.[/sub]

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
There definitely needs to be another option. It definitely depends on the series and voice actors. I've watched both the subs and dubs of Code Geass and much preferred the subbed version. Lelouch's voice actor just had a lot more power in his portrayal. Meanwhile as Zamiel said above Claymore is better dubbed for me (although I think we can all agree that Raki is worthless no matter what his voice is). There are also certain jokes and moments that only make sense when presented in the original language. For example in Kuroshitsuji Sebastian has a line that in Japanese means "I am one hell of a butler" and "I am a demon and a butler". Most people take it as the first meaning most of the time but there are times when people figure out it's the second and the OH ****! moment is so much greater with that than the way they did it dubbed.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Considering I only watch anime to help my learning the language (I don't really care much for anime), I'll choose either subbed or neither.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
If it's a good dub I'd much prefer it, otherwise I'm fine with subs.

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
haha my original reaction was a versus thread between a sub(submarine sandwich) and a dub(weed).
apparently not the case here..

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
mireko said:
Vampire cat said:
Some animated movies dubbed to Norwegian are actually better than their English counter-parts, somehow they make jokes work a billion times better, no idea why. Admittedly, some Norwegian voices are awful, and they never do good in "real" movies and TV series.
They probably work better for you because it's your first language and you don't need to process the dialogue to understand it. Timing is pretty important for jokes, after all.

[sub]That said, I never liked any of those dubs. Norwegian actors have absolutely no grasp of subtlety, in my opinion.[/sub]
I'm pretty fluent in English (or at least I think I am, not that I've had any exams lately though I did finish school with 5/6 in the subject). Recent Norwegian dubbing is deteriorating, only rarely do they get it even close to right, and some lines sound very awkward, but travel like 8-10 years back in time to when the Disney movies ruled supreme and the quality of Norwegian voicing is vastly superior and extremely well done... Same for radio-plays and such... Ah, the old days, so much better.