Poll: Taxes...

Shadowtek

Jul 30, 2008
In America

Isnt is amusing, the more money you make the more taxes they take. Fine, whatever, If I fell into that category I might care more about it. My problem isnt that I make too much money, its that I dont make enough.

I read the instructions on my tax forms when I filled them out last year. So I did them as I should have. As a consequence, I now have a hefty payment I must pay the government because I dont make enough money. I have to pay the government almost $700. (Im not making this up)

Just a glimpse into our lives here in America for anyone who dosent live here. Both my wife and I work. Neither of us make a lot of money, so we need as much money out of our checks as we can get just to make bill payments. Because we are taking out as much as we can out of our checks (this money that we have earned). We now owe the government money because we dont have enough to go around. YES, you read that right. Because we need our money and we dont make enough, now we owe the government for US not having enough money. Im going to have to take a loan out of the bank just to cover this amount, because of course, I dont have the money.

Does anyone think this is just? You have to pay the government because your broke!!! (If anyone from the government reads this and disagrees. Bite Me!)

Phantom2595

Sep 28, 2008
Shadowtek said:
In America

Isnt is amusing, the more money you make the more taxes they take. Fine, whatever, If I fell into that category I might care more about it. My problem isnt that I make too much money, its that I dont make enough.

I read the instructions on my tax forms when I filled them out last year. So I did them as I should have. As a consequence, I now have a hefty payment I must pay the government because I dont make enough money. I have to pay the government almost $700. (Im not making this up)

Just a glimpse into our lives here in America for anyone who dosent live here. Both my wife and I work. Neither of us make a lot of money, so we need as much money out of our checks as we can get just to make bill payments. Because we are taking out as much as we can out of our checks (this money that we have earned). We now owe the government money because we dont have enough to go around. YES, you read that right. Because we need our money and we dont make enough, now we owe the government for US not having enough money. Im going to have to take a loan out of the bank just to cover this amount, because of course, I dont have the money.

Does anyone think this is just? You have to pay the government because your broke!!! (If anyone from the government reads this and disagrees. Bite Me!)
Here in Canada, income tax is 50% of our pay and in my province(Ontario) shopping tax is 15%(or maybe 16%,I can't really remember)

Then there's property tax etc.

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
I don't get it... so... you didn't have enough money to pay the taxes so you now owe your government the money you couldn't pay?

That seems reasonable.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
I feel for you bro. Up here in the rust belt our politicians responded to high unemployment by raising taxes.

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
the poll question is a bit confusing,is it to read"Is this right?" as in your given situtation?
or taxes,is it just to collect them in general?

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Phantom2595 said:
Here in Canada, income tax is 50% of our pay and in my province(Ontario) shopping tax is 15%(or maybe 16%,I can't really remember)

Dear lord I would have a fit if I had to pay that much. I ***** about my 23% FICA tax and 9% state sales tax. But I suppose the gov't knows how to spend my money better than I do........

Shadowtek

Jul 30, 2008
Phantom2595 said:
Here in Canada, income tax is 50% of our pay and in my province(Ontario) shopping tax is 15% (or maybe 16%,I can't really remember) Then there's property tax etc.
That really sucks too. But if rumors are true, dont you have a better health care system up there? Ours kinda sucks over here. Either you have great insurance at a decent price, or they charge you an arm and a leg for piss-poor insurance.

Shade Jackrabbit

Aug 3, 2008
Phantom2595 said:

Actually, the Harper government lowered it to 14 or 13%, I believe.

Shadowtek said:
Phantom2595 said:
Here in Canada, income tax is 50% of our pay and in my province(Ontario) shopping tax is 15% (or maybe 16%,I can't really remember) Then there's property tax etc.
That really sucks too. But if rumors are true, dont you have a better health care system up there? Ours kinda sucks over here. Either you have great insurance at a decent price, or they charge you an arm and a leg for piss-poor insurance.
We have pretty good insurance from what I've seen. Waiting lines at hospitals are just really long though.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
Unfortunately, income taxes are a part of being employed in the US (and most countries). You know you have to pay them, so if you're owing a lot at the end of the year refile your W-4s to withhold a little more from each paycheck. $20 a week should cover it.

Shadowtek

Jul 30, 2008
Undeadpope said:
the poll question is a bit confusing,is it to read"Is this right?" as in your given situtation?
or taxes,is it just to collect them in general?
Im not going to argue with the government collecting taxes. But c'mon, if im bad off enough that I NEED all my money, not just to go out and blow it on stupid stuff. Then I shouldnt be penalized like this (or anyone in that respect). I have paid taxes all year, Apparently they dont think ive paid enough. :(

(We even had to skip Christmas all together this last year because we didnt have any money)

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
This is why we should abolish the IRS and go back to the tariff system. I have already been burnt as a heretic by a British person for comparing Obama to Bush you can't do it again.

Shadowtek

Jul 30, 2008
Sewblon said:
This is why we should abolish the IRS and go back to the tariff system. I have already been burnt as a heretic by a British person for comparing Obama to Bush you can't do it again.
lol, comparing those two.... well, honestly. i havent paid enough attention to Bush in the past to do a comparison... im sure there may be a few similar qualities. also vest differences. :p

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Phantom2595 said:

Sales tax in Ontario is 13%; 8% provincial sales tax (PST) and 5% federal Goods and Services Tax (GST). That's down from 15% thanks to a pretty lame tax cut put in recently by the federal government.

Income tax is graduated in Canada; Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_taxes_in_Canada] lists the brackets in detail, but it tops out at 29%. Ontario levies its own additional tax on top, but I have trouble seeing them adding up to 50%.... though, thanks to Employment Insurance premiums and Canada Pension Plan contributions, it might get up there if you're earning more than $125 000 and have a bunch of capital gains to declare.

-- Steve

Phantom2595

Sep 28, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Phantom2595 said:

Sales tax in Ontario is 13%; 8% provincial sales tax (PST) and 5% federal Goods and Services Tax (GST). That's down from 15% thanks to a pretty lame tax cut put in recently by the federal government.

Income tax is graduated in Canada; Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_taxes_in_Canada] lists the brackets in detail, but it tops out at 29%. Ontario levies its own additional tax on top, but I have trouble seeing them adding up to 50%.... though, thanks to Employment Insurance premiums and Canada Pension Plan contributions, it might get up there if you're earning more than $125 000 and have a bunch of capital gains to declare.

-- Steve
Yea, I was kinda exaggerating, but still, tax in Canada is much higher than in America.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
Phantom2595 said:

Income tax isn't always 50% it depends on your income. My mother is getting taxed around 60% (think about she works half of the year for the government). Also the GST (Goods and Services tax) is 5% and the PST (Provincial sales tax) in Ontario is 8%, which makes a total of 13% tax on the things we buy... THAT hurts your wallet man...

But I think it's necessary and good to have taxes. Otherwise we wouldn't have Welfare and social services. Also the Canadian's "Free" Healthcare system is payed by all those taxes. Those of you who hate Welfare won't convince me that its bad though. My parents were on it right after I was born, they were in University, working jobs, and they had a kid and an appartment to pay. Now though my mom is a successful business owner who's worth over 3 Mil. Welfare is a good thing, it helps a lot of people get back on their feet in life.

Hippopotamus

Feb 3, 2009
I like my streets paved and my cops payed. My measly $12 an hour job couldn't even to pay to put pavement on my driveway, but together, we've managed to build interstate traffic systems, airports, and even allowed for the creation of the medium you use now.

You either see taxes in the big picture, where a little of our money gets pooled together to build things the community needs, or you see only "The Man" keeping you down.

On a similar note, I had an interesting series of conversations at work one day. An out-of-California couple comes in to buy a laptop, and ask me what the $16 dollar recycling fee was and how much tax they were paying. I tell them it was what the state charges so it can pay to clear up and deal with all the leftover TV's in junkyards. They snidely remark that it was just dirty taxes taking their money. The very next customer sits on the city council, and mentions that if they had cut the taxes, the city might not be able to maintain its library and would've cut the police force. SO yeah, a minor fee to me seems like a good bargain if I can keep my libraries open.

Shadowtek

Jul 30, 2008
you see, Im not complaining about taxes all together. I understand what the taxes are for. In the same respect, I have been paying my taxes all year. However, I dont make much an hour so I need as much money as I can get just to scrape by on that bills. My arguement is this, after paying taxes all year, the government has decided that I havent paid enough. BECAUSE IM BROKE IM BEING PENALIZED. I am simply being screwed by the government because I "supposedly" havent paid enough taxes, reason being, I can barely cover my own bills.