Poll: The 4 mighty Hack and Slashers of early 2010

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I would get God of War 3 but I don't have a PS3... I might get Darksiders depending on what kind of reviews it gets because right now I don't know much about it other than that one review that came out giving it a 10/10 but I'm skeptical of a first review being a 10/10... Bayonetta looks pretty cool but I'm probably going to maybe rent it at most and Dante's Inferno looks worse every time I hear about it...

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Darksiders followed by GOW3.

Bayonetta is just too...........sparkly and Japanese like.

And Judging from the demo. Dante's Inferno is absolute shit. It's a blatant copy of God of War with terrible graphics. The environments look awful and are all pretty tiny meaning you fight in these absolutely tiny areas until you kill everything. And when you ride a giant enemy the controls are abysmal, and the QTE button prompts are positioned in awkward places(I couldn't even see the "Death" boss QTE). There's a tiny number of moves - most of which are useless - and the upgrades are far from plenty and look equally useless.

Also, to all who played the demo, who fell off that cross because of the shitty camera angle?

RobbinHood

Nov 5, 2009
My vote is for Bayonetta because this has peaked my interest.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/bayonetta?q=bayonetta
And the people I have talked to who have played the demo are saying good things about it.

My number two is going to have to be Darksiders because I am loving the art and art style they went with. Also, the story holds promise.

Dante's Inferno comes in third because I am having some doubts about the quality of this game, but I still have that small amount of trust Visceral games game me from Dead Space.

Sadly God of War 3 comes in last for me because I don't own a PS3. I am however wanting one more and more everyday.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
metalcore42 said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Already have Bayonetta, so GOW 3.
Yeah, in my town(in germany) the media store has already shelved up on Bayonetta.
One of my pals even got it for Christmas.
So worth the import...

Why they're holding it back is beyond me, because everything was in plain English, even the trophies.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
funguy2121 said:
Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2.

I'm hoping Bayonetta will really really suck, just because so much of its marketing has focused on its polygon protagonist as wank material (c'mon guys, can we not at least jerk off to real, actual women?).
You're going to be pissed, as IGN and GameInformer both have very high scores for it.

And with good reason, as it's easily the best action game I've ever played. Yeah, better than NMH, if you can believe such a surreal concept.

It lays on the sex appeal pretty thick, but it's got gameplay to back it up.

RobDJClark

Oct 31, 2009
Bayonetta, I've been waiting for that game since I saw the first trailer A looooong while ago.
I think, In personal opinion It will be awesome!

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
run_forrest_run said:
Klepa said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
As the fantastically informative title says there is going to be 4 Hack and Slashers released in the first few months of 2010 that everyones got there eye on: God of War 3, Bayonetta, Dantes Inferno and Darksiders. Chances are most people will own all of them at some point although I want to know which one of these games you hold in highest priority by voting in the poll above and your opinions on the rest. Personally I'm getting God of War 3 straight away. I'm trying to decide between Dantes Inferno and Bayonetta having played both demos. I couldn't give a shit about Darksiders, It's got so much less press than the rest and I know to little about it to do anything other than wait for the price to go down.
Wow, you couldn't just...look up info about it? It looks to be the best of all 4 of them.
Darksiders holds most of my interest, Dantes Inferno second priority, God Of War 3 sometime down the track.
Bayonetta can go fuck off and die.
There's a reason I don't give a shit about Darksiders and that reason is it's done nothing to make me aware of it. The other games here have all made me aware of them through gameplay trailers, developer diaries and demos. Darksiders has absolutley no trailers or anything else avaliable for download on PSN and while Xbox live might have them (I don't know cause I'm usually on a PS3) cutting out half your audience is pretty fucking stupid. Also it sounds pathetically cliche and looks like God of War on Pain Killers.
This post just shows how ignorant you are.
Look at the GameTrailers preview for goot footage.
I'm talking about Playstation Network you daft tit.
I know that, but holding no interest in a game because you havn't seen any footage, and not bothering to look up any footage is just idiotic.
You really don't get it do you? Darksiders has gotten so little press that people on this forum have only just heard of it now and I won't put that down to ignorance. It's got the least vots out of every game on this forum although I get the feeling that you'll still find an argument against it involving you spending the weekend trying to find gameplay trailers then being somewhat impressed at the sight of a man with huge hands chucking a sword boomerang style at a giant hostile mushroom.
You're actually criticizing a game because of it's marketing? And not because it's being marketed falsely, but because it's not being marketed enough? Why on earth do you care? How does it make a least bit of difference? My brain is utterly failing here.
I guessed from the stupidity of your reply. If something is advertised enough then it won't sell as well. For those of you that are unaware (seeing as how I can no longer treat half of you as human beings) sales are good, not a lot of sales are bad. Now can the Darksiders fanboys on this forum either take that on the chin or fuck off and bother someone else.
Yes bad sales aren't good for the company, but that doesn't mean the game will be bad. Going by your logic Modern Warfare 2 is better than System Shock 2, Half life games, Bioshock, Operation Flashpoint 1 etc? Sales don't mean jack shit.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who falls for media hype and buys games purely on it. Like those twelve year olds who happily payed over full price for a reskinned Call of Duty game because of media hype and biased journalism.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
GoW3 is in first place.Then i will get Dante's Inferno.

The other two i might get if i have nothing other to buy.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Please do point ut all of the "cursing and insults" that were made ahead of your post, come on. I'm waiting.
I have better things to do than call out all the other posters for their bad behaviour and less than perfect attitudes. Actually, I lie, I don't have anything better to do, I just don't want to.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Belladonnah said:
Where's the option: All of the above? :(

Also:
Grampy_bone said:
I never liked God of War as it is a crappy Devil May Cry knockoff. Since Dante's Inferno is a crappy God of War ripoff, that makes it a ripoff of a ripoff.
Are you on crack, or just incredibly stupid?
It's well understood that God of War was heavily influenced by Devil May Cry. They're both 'extreme action games where you upgrade weapons,' a sub-genre which exploded during the PS2 days. God of War ditches the 'faggy pretty-boy' Dante and replaces him with a half-naked dude who only stops killing so he can fuck. It's like the frat boy version of Devil May Cry.

On the gameplay side of things, God of War is really quite inferior. Devil May Cry has always had highly technical combat where avoiding blows is just as important as dealing damage. God of War you pretty much just mash buttons to kill everything then collect the convenient health powerups before moving on to the next room. It's really quite boring. Compared to the jumping and dodge moves in DMC, Kratos can barely jump and his dodge has no invincibility frames, making it rather worthless most of the time. You're just better off spamming attacks than actually trying to fight effectively. Plus that was the game that made everyone start using Quick Time Events. Bleh.

vejtornado

Jun 23, 2009
God of War 3 is first for me as i wnat to know how the story ends followed by Bayonettta because i preordered the special edition where i get a replica gun

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
I just find it hilarious that someone can say that it's a piece of crap, because its marketing budget isn't big enough.

It's like saying "A Serious Man is a shit movie, because the movie posters I saw weren't big enough."
Or "Rico's Deli must be a horrible diner, because they don't have commercials on TV."
Or "Because it didn't have an ad, it's not important."

Enough off-topic anyways. I think I'd go with GoW3. Bayonetta seems a bit stupid, Darksiders not really to my liking, and I wasn't really impressed with all the gameplay videos of Dante's Inferno.
Then again, GoW3 won't be offering me anything new. I dunno, maybe Darksiders would be my thing.. If I had a console.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Grampy_bone said:
Belladonnah said:
Where's the option: All of the above? :(

Also:
Grampy_bone said:
I never liked God of War as it is a crappy Devil May Cry knockoff. Since Dante's Inferno is a crappy God of War ripoff, that makes it a ripoff of a ripoff.
Are you on crack, or just incredibly stupid?
It's well understood that God of War was heavily influenced by Devil May Cry. They're both 'extreme action games where you upgrade weapons,' a sub-genre which exploded during the PS2 days. God of War ditches the 'faggy pretty-boy' Dante and replaces him with a half-naked dude who only stops killing so he can fuck. It's like the frat boy version of Devil May Cry.

On the gameplay side of things, God of War is really quite inferior. Devil May Cry has always had highly technical combat where avoiding blows is just as important as dealing damage. God of War you pretty much just mash buttons to kill everything then collect the convenient health powerups before moving on to the next room. It's really quite boring. Compared to the jumping and dodge moves in DMC, Kratos can barely jump and his dodge has no invincibility frames, making it rather worthless most of the time. You're just better off spamming attacks than actually trying to fight effectively. Plus that was the game that made everyone start using Quick Time Events. Bleh.
Have you ever tired God mode? Get hit twice, and you're gone. Dodging is EVERYTHING in God Mode

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I heard Darksiders is more than just a hack n' slash, not that God of War 3 will be poor games for their focus as that's why I chose GoW3 in this poll as the likely best pure hack n'slash.

But Darksiders is apparently channelling Zelda as much as anything else and that's why in general as a game I am more anticipating Darksiders.

Actually, I'm kinda pissed off at how many great games are coming out next year, 4 likely A grade titles in one rather under-represented genre... I need to get some extra income.

I_B_Ready

Dec 18, 2009
I was looking most forward to Bayonetta, but honestly the soundtrack in the demo turned me off a little bit. and dante's inferno was okay, but it seems a bit too 'try hard'. I don't have a PS3, so GOW is out, which leaves me to be most intrigued by Darksiders, especially since I always kinda dug Joe Maduiera's art.

but in the end, they all seem interesting in one way or the other, and I hope to have all of them save GOW.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
God of War 3, just because I want to finish the story up.

Darksiders looks pretty boring, Dante's Inferno is practically a God of War mod (I guess if you prefer its setting, yay for you. I was pretty bored by it), and Bayonetta is just an embarrassment.

The hack and slash genre has been pretty much shit as of late. All of the non-Devil May Cry games that come out have all been incredibly droll, with terrible combat. The only reason I play God of War is because I like the story and art direction. The gameplay itself is pretty crap.